Justin Fields traded to Pittsburgh

topwop1

57 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Are you really suggesting that anyone here is doing it out of a sense of obligation, and not just liking either A) the player, or B) the human being, and wanting a successful outcome for that person? Framing it as a negative thing? Is that really what we're doing here?

I thought the same thing when I read it. It's okay to not have been a supporter of Fields, and I understand why that may be the case but everyone should be able to support who they want and how they want to do it. Just because a player no longer plays for the hometown team doesn't necessarily make them the enemy and no longer being worthy of support. You can support your team and individual players at the same time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

But really, as a fan of the Bears you don't have to support this guy anymore. Fields was not in a tougher spot than any other rookie top-10 pick QB gets put into around the league. Was it perfect? No. Basic fans got too caught up in the athleticism and the persona that they are overlooking the pitfalls of his game. He throws a very tight spiral and the ball travels at a low, powerful trajectory. He has strides like a cheetah and seems to glide down the field. Every throw he made independant of the result of the play, where it landed, if the reciever caught it or not was very beautiful. It almost felt as if he was trying to make the perfect throw every time without thinking about how the reciever is supposed to catch it. It was everything else that was just alittle bit off. The timing, rhythm, release, accuracy and other little details are what was missing and those are the exact things that you can't measure in football

I'd argue that is a pretty gross exaggeration.

Fields didn't get the same help as Lawrence nor the same level of coaching. Lawrence was screwed over his rookie year by Urban, but that is a wash with Nagy, but Pederson and the cast added over the last two years beats the hell out of Getsy and the diminishing group Fields got as Poles and Co went for a full rebuild and tank. Trey Lance was in the best position you could hope for, got to sit and learn behind a vet in Jimmy G with a top offensive mind in Shanny, but he simply sucked and lost his spot to Purdy. Wilson definitely went to a ****-show in New York through. Even then with both having bad hands dealt in their rookie years, look at year two. Bears were tanking and Jets were at least trying to improve as they added Davis and Garrett Wilson. And while Mike LaFleur isn't Matt, he still was better than Getsy from the little I watched of him. Wilson had a winning record his sophomore year but Flacco/White went 2-6. That's just his own class and you can really only put one of the 3 that went top 10 in a real conversation with being close to as poor a situation as Fields went to. 

Dude has had flaws like you said, but he received little support from Poles and Co other than getting Moore and not letting Kmet go anywhere. In the end Fields himself didn't show enough to pass on Williams or Maye to me either, but he definitely was in a tougher spot than a fair deal of top-10 picked QBs. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Are you really suggesting that anyone here is doing it out of a sense of obligation, and not just liking either A) the player, or B) the human being, and wanting a successful outcome for that person? Framing it as a negative thing? Is that really what we're doing here?

There are plenty of nice guys to root for in the NFL. The fans of Fields that are critical of the Bears I would say are crossing the line and the fans that threaten to become Steelers fans are delusional. When Tom Brady left the Patriots there was less backlash from fans than there is now. I was a "Trubisky Truther" and a "Cutler guy" & got crucified for it so I'm making sure that I return the favor. When Trubisky and Cutler left the Bears under similar circumstances nobody vouched for the player as much as they are for Justin. What did he do to earn a standing ovation? Is his body language just on the sidelines just that much better.

14 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

I was a "Trubisky Truther" and a "Cutler guy" & got crucified for it so I'm making sure that I return the favor.

Lol. I promise you that nobody is taking it as seriously as you are. Take a deep breath, everything is going to be okay.

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I do believe there was interest in Fields and I do believe they overplayed their hand, but firing Poles over dropping what was likely at the very most a late 2nd would be asinine. Even the very best GMs make bad deals/decisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I do believe there was interest in Fields and I do believe they overplayed their hand, but firing Poles over dropping what was likely at the very most a late 2nd would be asinine. Even the very best GMs make bad deals/decisions.

Who knows what really happened.

He may have thrown a first out there in January, but probably learned quick no one was going to pay that.

I speculate that he initially asked for a 2nd and a 4th (Dalton standard).  Probably dropped his price to a 2nd.  Everybody balked.   He waited.   But then they went other directions.

Then price has to drop more.  And he ended up holding the bag and had to take a low price.   It happens. 

I don't think anyone was ever doing a 2nd.  I think he probably could have gotten a 3rd agreed to if he does a deal early in game.  

Fireable?  No.  He is playing the game.   It hurts him a bit that I think that he 'won' the Carolina trade so badly.  GMs have egos too.  So people are playing their cards closer to their chest with him this year.   Jimmy Johnson probably lost some trade partners after the Hershel Walker trade.   

He will be fired if Caleb turns into a bust.  Me, I just have to come on here and say I was wrong again.  We should have taken the haul.  LOL  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Who knows what really happened.

He may have thrown a first out there in January, but probably learned quick no one was going to pay that.

I speculate that he initially asked for a 2nd and a 4th (Dalton standard).  Probably dropped his price to a 2nd.  Everybody balked.   He waited.   But then they went other directions.

Then price has to drop more.  And he ended up holding the bag and had to take a low price.   It happens. 

I don't think anyone was ever doing a 2nd.  I think he probably could have gotten a 3rd agreed to if he does a deal early in game.  

Fireable?  No.  He is playing the game.   It hurts him a bit that I think that he 'won' the Carolina trade so badly.  GMs have egos too.  So people are playing their cards closer to their chest with him this year.   Jimmy Johnson probably lost some trade partners after the Hershel Walker trade.   

He will be fired if Caleb turns into a bust.  Me, I just have to come on here and say I was wrong again.  We should have taken the haul.  LOL  

1000x yes. Sometimes you play patient and it lands in your favor, sometimes I'ts Jaylon Johnson's deal or Justin Fields trade.  Don't think we'll ever know.  I think he's had more egregious mistakes (Claypool trade,  wasting an extra year in the rebuild prioritizing defense and leaving it nebulous on whether Fields was our guy,  thinking they had their center last year etc)

Meanwhile the two biggest successes he's had (getting first pick by being bad,  lucking into the Panthers being worse) are celebrated... I think he's above average and that's good enough given that he's got clean books and the first pick.  Only thing that might really bite him is if Caleb busts or has serious issues, or if keeping Eberflus turns out to cost them in 2024-25. 

7 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

1000x yes. Sometimes you play patient and it lands in your favor, sometimes I'ts Jaylon Johnson's deal or Justin Fields trade.  Don't think we'll ever know.  I think he's had more egregious mistakes (Claypool trade,  wasting an extra year in the rebuild prioritizing defense and leaving it nebulous on whether Fields was our guy,  thinking they had their center last year etc)

Meanwhile the two biggest successes he's had (getting first pick by being bad,  lucking into the Panthers being worse) are celebrated... I think he's above average and that's good enough given that he's got clean books and the first pick.  Only thing that might really bite him is if Caleb busts or has serious issues, or if keeping Eberflus turns out to cost them in 2024-25. 

Keeping Ebeflus and firing everyone else and giving him a new staff was a big decision.

This ship sails or sinks with Shane Waldron and Caleb now.

You don't get to pick another OC or another QB unless they succeed.  

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Keeping Ebeflus and firing everyone else and giving him a new staff was a big decision.

This ship sails or sinks with Shane Waldron and Caleb now.

You don't get to pick another OC or another QB unless they succeed.  

Unless he personal-reasons himself somehow, I agree.  Wanted to make a thread on here about "Why You're optmistic" and "What could go wrong?" and for the latter it's that we have a Mike McCarthy level coach, so even if he gets paired with a great QB could lose those handful of games a year that come down to a decision or attitude at the end of the game.  Hopefully Caleb or whoever turns out good enough that it doesn't matter.  A great QB can make up for a lot more than a great coach, and the best coach in the world isn't going to win with Mac Jones or whoever.  

On 3/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, StLunatic88 said:

None of them made an actionable offer from what I’ve gathered

Sounds like Atlanta was the plan all along, it’s what the “right by Justin” comment was about. But they made it clear that they were making a run at Cousins first, and 3 weeks ago no one thought they really had a chance, but for whatever reason, Minnesota just never really came to the table.

And I believe the people that told me it was expected to be the “one this year and a future conditional pick or two” because Atlanta was ready to pick up the 5YO (just look at what they gave Kirk), but now it seems they were the only ones who were ready to commit to that money. No one else would, which then makes him a 1 year competition at best, and a backup for most of them.

Thats going to change the outlook of the market drastically. 

bw Cousins tampering and poss Mooney tampering, hopefully we get a comp pick or AtL loses #8 haha we move up a spot 

🥳🥳🥳

On 3/17/2024 at 6:11 AM, dll2000 said:

It was definitely weak.  I just don’t think it was 2025 6th weak.  

I believe that Poles truly planned to hang on to JF, but something shiFTed last week.

Either something from one of the QBs respective camps shifted, or MoST likely George-Kevin stepped in to kiLL the national media circus, while looking like heroes for moving JF to his desired location at less compensation 

29 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

I believe that Poles truly planned to hang on to JF, but something shiFTed last week.

Either something from one of the QBs respective camps shifted, or MoST likely George-Kevin stepped in to kiLL the national media circus, while looking like heroes for moving JF to his desired location at less compensation 

You’re certainly free to believe as you’d like, but I mean, they literally told us they’d been trying to trade him for weeks.

Teams knew we didn’t want to keep him alongside Williams so they played the time leverage card (same as we would’ve wanted Poles to do on the opposite side of this equation), and it tanked the market. Nothing changed other than teams calling Poles on his bluff(s). 

Edited by AZBearsFan

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’re certainly free to believe as you’d like, but I mean, they literally told us they’d been trying to trade him for weeks.

Teams knew we didn’t want to keep him alongside Williams so they played the time leverage card (same as we would’ve wanted Poles to do on the opposite side of this equation), and it tanked the market. Nothing changed other than teams calling Poles on his bluff(s). 

Of course they were trying to trade him ! I am not suggesting otherwise. 

What I am suggesting is that Poles wanted a certain return for JF, and planned to hold onto JF  aND draft Caleb if that return was not met

This was his plan until something shifted last week ...either something from one of the QBs camps (most likely JF's) or George/Kevin stepping in to kiLL national media spotlight circus, WhiLE letting Poles look like a hero for trading JF to his preferred destination despite lower compensation

I believe it was the latter, or possibly a combination of the latter AND JFs camp getting overly involved