The window is 24 and 25!!!

46 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I've never ever heard anyone pronounce it "nitch" and I've lived literally across the US.

As far as I've always known. 

A "nitch" is a recessed shelf in a wall.

A "niche" is either an ideal situation or a very specific product for a very specific market.

Edited by wgbeethree
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The window is a decade plus wide. 

Some bad bounces during the Rodgers era has certain people convinced of some incorrect things. 

Agreed. 

GB has a good track record of not overspending on WR.  I think of the current players on the roster, only 1-2 will get 2nd contracts and the other will be replaced with draft picks.  

Window will stay open as long as Love is a top 10 QB and the draft picks continue to be productive

52 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

The window is most open now. Salary cap will make the window smaller when you have to pay or decide to pay Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, Tom, Walker, Musgrave and Kraft who are all paying for peanuts at the moment on offence

2024 has $46M in deadcap.  That is enough for 1 WR, 1OT and 1-2 TE

59 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Window will stay open as long as Love is a top 10 QB and the draft picks continue to be productive

Not disputing that, if Love is good we'll be good. But I keep on repeating myself, the biggest window is now when you offence counts for less 20% of the cap. 

Cincy were super competitive with Burrow, Chase and Higgins on rookie deals. That is changing and will carry on changing. Same for us. If Gute keeps on drafting well we'll have tough choices to make. For this year and next those tough choices are minimal.

36 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Not disputing that, if Love is good we'll be good. But I keep on repeating myself, the biggest window is now when you offence counts for less 20% of the cap. 

Cincy were super competitive with Burrow, Chase and Higgins on rookie deals. That is changing and will carry on changing. Same for us. If Gute keeps on drafting well we'll have tough choices to make. For this year and next those tough choices are minimal.

If Gutekunst can continue to draft well, the choices become easier to make.   having players in line to replace those players about to get the 2nd contract makes it easier to let some of those players walk

On 3/19/2024 at 8:45 PM, Rosser80 said:

Frankly the window is wider given how we've been drafting the last 2-3 years. I'm not all too concerned about Kenny and Preston Smith TBH; Preston's been a team player and I could see him retiring after this season if we win the Super Bowl. Kenny could be in that boat in 2 years.

The only three names that concern me in regards to cost would be Doubs, Tom, and Walker in that order. I'd extend Doubs sometime this season for at least 2 more years and think long-term with Tom and Walker - mainly Tom. Everyone else listed is either replaceable or resign-able(think cost-effective).

I'm also surprised that Stokes is on this list given his injury history. We're going to have to draft a CB high this year as well as a Safety and we've already talked to Nate Wiggins who's viable at 24. 

@Old Guy: I wouldn't be putting Watson in the same category as Doubs just as I wouldn't put Wyatt in the same category as Walker. Watson and Wyatt haven't been as productive as the other two and I think we need more than one season to determine that TBH; I'd posit Heath over Tenuta or similar reasons.

Unless I am misremembering the rule, players need to play a full 3 seasons before rookie deals can be extended, which means no extending Doubs mid-season.  It's part of the CBA, and is the same rule that prevents SF from extending Purdy.  I wouldn't even have Doubs that high on my list of guys to prioritize.  If he earns a big second contract, let him move on and continue drafting WR's.  Prioritizing Doubs above Tom seems a little nuts to me.  If Walker remains a viable starter though 2024, he'll be expensive to retain, and will be ahead of Doubs on Gute's priority list.  If GB drafts an early OL who bumps Walker from the starting 5, Walker won't be in GB beyond his rookie deal.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Unless I am misremembering the rule, players need to play a full 3 seasons before rookie deals can be extended, which means no extending Doubs mid-season.  It's part of the CBA, and is the same rule that prevents SF from extending Purdy.  I wouldn't even have Doubs that high on my list of guys to prioritize.  If he earns a big second contract, let him move on and continue drafting WR's.  Prioritizing Doubs above Tom seems a little nuts to me.  If Walker remains a viable starter though 2024, he'll be expensive to retain, and will be ahead of Doubs on Gute's priority list.  If GB drafts an early OL who bumps Walker from the starting 5, Walker won't be in GB beyond his rookie deal.

you are correct on the timing of when rookie contract players can sign an extension.  after their 3rd season has finished.

Fully agree on the Doubs/Walker/Tom discussion.  

7 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

Doubs is one of Love's favorite targets. We're splitting hairs here TBH and need to keep both.

The good thing about Love .. whoever is open gets the ball.  Not sure he has a "favorite" guy to throw to but nice for all the options.  Another year with all those offensive tools and we'll maybe know more .. going to be fun.

8 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

Doubs is one of Love's favorite targets. We're splitting hairs here TBH and need to keep both.

If Love had had the option in the 4th quarter against 49ers of having Doubs or Tom available, I suspect he would have chosen Tom.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

I don't see this as splitting hairs. You have a RT, who is already one of the top guys at this position and a WR, who while good, is very replaceable by comparison. Watson and Reed are likely WR 1 and 2 and Wicks could be #3. 

I love Doubs but with the depth at WR, keeping Tom is a much higher priority at this moment in time for an extension.