Former Pats RB Damien Harris retires after just 5 seasons

adamq

How did he only play 5 seasons?  That can't be right.  It feels like he's been around forever.

Always liked his game.  Just one of those RBs who kind of suckered me with a great "all around skillset" but not really great at any particular thing.  But not even really suckered, since he turned out to be a pretty solid RB...even if relatively briefly (allegedly?).

Hard life out there for RBs though.  Especially if you ain't got any standout skills.

Probably made enough in his 5 years to retire pretty comfortably if he was smart with his money...and doesn't have to deal with grinding those last few years of wear and tear on his body and brain.  Probably not a bad idea to call it, in the long run.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

How did he only play 5 seasons?  That can't be right.  It feels like he's been around forever.

Always liked his game.  Just one of those RBs who kind of suckered me with a great "all around skillset" but not really great at any particular thing.  But not even really suckered, since he turned out to be a pretty solid RB...even if relatively briefly (allegedly?).

Hard life out there for RBs though.  Especially if you ain't got any standout skills.

Probably made enough in his 5 years to retire pretty comfortably if he was smart with his money...and doesn't have to deal with grinding those last few years of wear and tear on his body and brain.  Probably not a bad idea to call it, in the long run.

It's honestly amazing how top players who've made over a hundred million keep playing ten or more years.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

It's honestly amazing how top players who've made over a hundred million keep playing ten or more years.

Yeah.  It's a tough mentality to wrap my head around.  But that's kind of what makes them "top players".  They're not just in it for fun and to make a comfortable living...they're compulsively driven to compete and win.

But you see these guys at like 40 limping around, abusing pain meds, starting to experience CTE symptoms, etc. and it really has to make you wonder if it's worth it.

Harris is actually pretty fortunate in that...compared to most RBs especially, he's getting out with a decent nest egg but relatively few of those "hard miles" on him.  Almost fortunate in that he was always struggling with more highly touted backs at Bama for carries.  And even in his NFL time, he was generally in more of a committee backfield.  Made his money and got out early, without ever really having to bear the brunt of being a true bell cow.  Not bad.

I could've sworn he'd been around for at least like 8 seasons by now though.  lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

He gets retirement benefits too after 5 years in the league I believe.

• Like 2