Jags re-sign Josh Allen (5y 150m 88 Gtd)

Chiefs_5627

• Chiefs_5627 changed the title to Jags re-sign Josh Allen (5y 150m 88 Gtd)

Meet Josh Allen!

• Josh Allen was drafted #7 overall in one of the final years of the 2010s!

• Josh Allen was my favorite player in the draft in his draft year!

• Josh Allen grossly outperformed someone at his position drafted in the top 4 who was ultimately benched due to never living up to the hype.

• Josh Allen was a senior who led their college program to new heights.

• Josh Allen has a unique skillset for his position that allows him to do things that players 20-30 lbs lighter normally do. 

• Josh Allen was signed to a massive extension making him one of the highest paid players in league history at his position. 

Now am I talking about the guy on the Bills or the guy on the Jaguars???

• Like 2

I'm going to be the contrarian, and say I don't think this is going to pan out well. His play spiked heavily in a contract year, and even then, at his absolute peak, it wasn't at Parsons/Bosa/Garrett/Watt level, IMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm going to be the contrarian, and say I don't think this is going to pan out well. His play spiked heavily in a contract year, and even then, at his absolute peak, it wasn't at Parsons/Bosa/Garrett/Watt level, IMO.

But Bosa/Garrett/Watt aren't great when lined up in coverage. Yeah, that's not their primary responsibility. But Allen can shut down tight ends if asked to. Not Kelce of Kittle, but I don't know if anyone can do that.

Josh Allen is a better Haason Reddick.

ALSO, Allen had 77 pressures and 21 QB hits in 2022 despite only having 7 sacks. I think PFF had him as the fourth highest grade as a pass rusher in passing sets, and projected a breakout in the stat sheet in 2023, which happened. He's also been one of the highest graded run defenders in the league the last couple years. I think he was 3rd in 2022.

Edited by HoboRocket

Just now, HoboRocket said:

But Bosa/Garrett/Watt aren't great when lined up in coverage. Yeah, that's not their primary responsibility. But Allen can do shut down tight ends if asked to. Not Kelce of Kittle, but I don't know if anyone can do that.

Josh Allen is a better Haason Reddick.

Is it too dismissive to say I don't really care? Like, if I have a $30M per year Edge, short of the rare zone blitz concept where all he needs to do is occupy a bit of space in a hook zone, I have no interest in dropping that guy into coverage anyways. I remember years of Chiefs fans being livid at Bob Sutton dropping Justin Houston in coverage. He could do it, and he was better at it than Hali or Ford, but why would I want my guy who is being paid to be an A+ as a pass rusher doing anything else on passing downs? Run defense, sure. But pass coverage? Feels like arguing how good a WR or receiving TE is at pass blocking, to me.

I'm also iffy on this is even true. He's charted as having been targeted 9 times last year, at an average depth of target of -1.9 yards. Meaning his targets were all basically screens and passes behind the line of scrimmage. So I'm doubtful he was used in that manner much, if at all, anyway. But I'd be lying if I said I paid much attention to him in coverage this year.

• Like 2