2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Wyatt is quite good. Like AG said, needs the consistency.  Brooks and Slaton are top tier role players, if they just can maintain what they've shown, any progression makes you excited about post Clark GB

I'm not there yet.

Clark is still the rare piece in that group. If he's not there, this is a collection of role guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Wyatt is quite good. Like AG said, needs the consistency.  Brooks and Slaton are top tier role players, if they just can maintain what they've shown, any progression makes you excited about post Clark GB

Decision on Slaton this year though. He's a free agent after this season and unless he really breaks out, I think he's allowed to hit free agency in the off season. 

I'm not big on 3rd contracts, but I'd love to extend Kenny if we could do it reasonably, which I doubt we'd be able to. 

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Decision on Slaton this year though. He's a free agent after this season and unless he really breaks out, I think he's allowed to hit free agency in the off season. 

I'm not big on 3rd contracts, but I'd love to extend Kenny if we could do it reasonably, which I doubt we'd be able to. 

I just don't see Slaton leaving. Like you say he won't break the bank because he's not a sack guy but he's very useful in the role he has. If you don't give him the meager contract you just have to use different investments to fill that role anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not there yet.

Clark is still the rare piece in that group. If he's not there, this is a collection of role guys. 

For sure, will need another high end talent added to the room whenever he leaves.  Though I think we can get some things done late in the year with Wyatt Slaton Brooks and some of the DEs in the pressure packages.

Might just be drinking the Kool aid, big year ahead. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

See, I am of the complete opposite opinion on Slaton.  If he really breaks out, we have to let him get money elsewhere.  If he is a reasonable contract, he is a very good role player that we should keep around.

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4887558/emanuel-wilson

8 carries for 20 yards against Dallas.  Meh...

4 carries for 16 yards agains SF...OK 

His first carry of the game, Micah Parsons literally threw Tyler Kraft at him. 

His second carry of the game, he got run into a stacked box. Maybe an elite back gets outside and turns this into a big gain, but that's a tough one. 

His third carry of the game, he got run into a stacked box. Again, maybe an elite back can cut this back, make the Safety miss in the hole and break it, but he's not an elite back. 

His next four carries were wins. 

His last carry he got run into a stacked box inside the 10

+++

Expecting UDFA rookies in their first playoff start to go off book, and do anything other than run on his assigned track when he's getting a single quarter per carry, just isn't realistic. 

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

His first carry of the game, Micah Parsons literally threw Tyler Kraft at him. 

His second carry of the game, he got run into a stacked box. Maybe an elite back gets outside and turns this into a big gain, but that's a tough one. 

His third carry of the game, he got run into a stacked box. Again, maybe an elite back can cut this back, make the Safety miss in the hole and break it, but he's not an elite back. 

His next four carries were wins. 

His last carry he got run into a stacked box inside the 10

+++

Expecting UDFA rookies in their first playoff start to go off book, and do anything other than run on his assigned track when he's getting a single quarter per carry, just isn't realistic. 

Aaron Jones was consistently gashing Dallas.  Wilson wasn't.  The drop off was dramatic.  Don't care if he's an UDFA has no bearing.  Kid doesn't have it.  2.5 yard average against Dallas D?  Jones by comparison 21 carries 118 yards 5.6 average.  It wasn't even close.  He just wasn't good.  I'd like to see him get some more opportunities, but that ship might have already sailed.  He'll have to fight just to make the practice squad now. 

7 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Aaron Jones was consistently gashing Dallas.  Wilson wasn't.  The drop off was dramatic.  Don't care if he's an UDFA has no bearing.  Kid doesn't have it.  2.5 yard average against Dallas D?  Jones by comparison 21 carries 118 yards 5.6 average.  It wasn't even close.  He just wasn't good.  I'd like to see him get some more opportunities, but that ship might have already sailed.  He'll have to fight just to make the practice squad now. 

The statistical argument first: Jones had 8 carries of less than 2 yards in that game. His first 8 carries were 8/28.

Running back numbers are driven by big gains. You usually have to churn through a bunch of 2 yard carries to get one 20 yarder to fix the average. 

The only measurable difference in their success rate is who got the goal line carries. 

Running back is a dependent position. 9 times out of ten, you're witnessing noise and usage with these numbers. 

The football argument second: It's hard as **** coming into a game cold and getting one carry per series. 

When Wilson got a series and was able to string some snaps together he went 4/5 on successful carries, despite the defense knowing what was coming. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Running back is a dependent position. 9 times out of ten, you're witnessing noise and usage with these numbers. 

The football argument second: It's hard as **** coming into a game cold and getting one carry per series. 

When Wilson got a series and was able to string some snaps together he went 4/5 on successful carries, despite the defense knowing what was coming. 

So the consistent work leading to success is probably due more to better blocking than Wilson having better skills.

If it is a dependent position, it remains that regardless.  It doesn't oscillate between dependent and independent.

40 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So the consistent work leading to success is probably due more to better blocking than Wilson having better skills.

If it is a dependent position, it remains that regardless.  It doesn't oscillate between dependent and independent.

Obviously

My issue with the criteria of saying Jones had X YPA and Wilson had Y YPA in such a small sample size is **** like this. 

https://i.imgur.com/lGgNZZS.gif

This is hardly an elite run by Jones, but it's a 13 yard carry because Jenkins pancaked a DT. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

Here's what I think our starting OLine will look like in 2024.  Should be a fun battle in camp. 

LT Rasheed Walker 

LG Jordan Morgan 

C Elgton Jenkins

RG Sean Rhyan 

RT Zach Tom

I think Myers gets bumped out of the starting center role, but may get a chance to battle Rhyan for the staring RG spot.  I don't think the Packers will want to re-sign Myers long term after 2024, and that prompts the Packers to supplant him at center with a better long term option in Jenkins.  Jenkins is signed thru 2026.  I think rookie 1st rounder, Jordan Morgan, ends up at LG.  I think he will show himself to be one of the five best during camp and that might be his best spot for now.  If Myers locks down Center then Morgan becomes the main competition at RG for Rhyan. 

32 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Here's what I think our starting OLine will look like in 2024.  Should be a fun battle in camp. 

LT Rasheed Walker 

LG Jordan Morgan 

C Elgton Jenkins

RG Sean Rhyan 

RT Zach Tom

I think Myers gets bumped out of the starting center role, but may get a chance to battle Rhyan for the staring RG spot.  I don't think the Packers will want to re-sign Myers long term after 2024, and that prompts the Packers to supplant him at center with a better long term option in Jenkins.  Jenkins is signed thru 2026.  I think rookie 1st rounder, Jordan Morgan, ends up at LG.  I think he will show himself to be one of the five best during camp and that might be his best spot for now.  If Myers locks down Center then Morgan becomes the main competition at RG for Rhyan. 

I think many of us forgot Jenkins was a center in college. Interesting thoughts. Is Morgan functionally strong enough to play inside year one? I have read (do not know if it's true) his overall strength may be an issue sliding inside initially. 

No doubt they will want to get Morgan on the field, personally, I think he has to win the LT spot for that to happen, short of an injury. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

LT Rasheed Walker 

LG Jordan Morgan 

C Elgton Jenkins

RG Sean Rhyan 

RT Zach Tom

If you want to bump Myers from Centre I don't fancy do it with Jenkins. That would make Jenkins the highest paid Centre in the League. Stick Tom at Centre put Morgan at RG. Moving Jenkins means the whole of the interior line is different from last year.

Personally I like Myers in the sense he'll be cheap to re-sign next year. He should get better with age and building a rapport with Love.

Morgan should be fighting for either RG or RT with a Tom move.