2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

That's an interesting point.  My gut tells me these guys aren't signing contracts for 200M+ electronically with no witnesses, but I could be wrong.

IIRC, generally they docu-sign what they call the term-sheet and then come in in-person to wet-sign the full thing, but the former is generally what matters, and the latter is more of a photo-op thing for the media team. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

That's an interesting point.  My gut tells me these guys aren't signing contracts for 200M+ electronically with no witnesses, but I could be wrong.

And their lawyer wouldn't be a witness? 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

IIRC, generally they docu-sign what they call the term-sheet and then come in in-person to wet-sign the full thing, but the former is generally what matters, and the latter is more of a photo-op thing for the media team. 

34 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I just find it unlikely that these big contracts are not signed in person.

Perhaps, but him not being in the building is not an impediment to getting a deal done. He's not the one who is going to read the contract and all the legalese terminology in it. He's not the one doing the negotiating the deal. That is his agents/lawyer's job to sift through that. Then relay the information to Love to give a thumbs up or down. Him being in or out of the building doesn't have any affect to getting a deal done. 

Either way Jordan Love is soon going to be a very rich young man. 

See above! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, it's objectively easier to finish the deal when he's in the building and available to just go upstairs and sign the contract. 

I mean, I'd imagine that both parties agreed to not negotiate through the media.  Otherwise, why would he be restricted from answer questions about his contract status?

57 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Why did the Vikings release Ben Sims? Am I simply overrating his ability? I think he is a solid role player.

Odds are they already had somebody who can fill a similar role as a #3, or they think they found a younger gun with more upside.

Putting things in proper perspective, his ceiling would've been at the Jeff Thomason/Tom Crabtree level. Ultimately okay, but easy to discard if something better comes along.

EDIT: Same way we nabbed John Kuhn, eh? So much for my theory. That'll teach me for approaching such things casually.

Edited by Zycho32

47 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Why did the Vikings release Ben Sims? Am I simply overrating his ability? I think he is a solid role player.

I thought we snagged him off of their practice squad? 

EDIT: Just looked it up! The Vikings waived him with the idea of putting him on the practice squad, but we claimed him off waivers. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I thought we snagged him off of their practice squad? 

EDIT: Just looked it up! The Vikings waived him with the idea of putting him on the practice squad, but we claimed him off waivers. 

Was another good get by Gute.  Kraft might be out a bit while he recovers from the pec.  That really sucks.  But I feel pretty confident Sims will step in and do just fine.  He's #3 but wouldn't mind seeing him get a little more action.  

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Was another good get by Gute.  Kraft might be out a bit while he recovers from the pec.  That really sucks.  But I feel pretty confident Sims will step in and do just fine.  He's #3 but wouldn't mind seeing him get a little more action.  

Serious question, how do we know he was a good get? Can he actually play? I'm not sure the little that he played should give us a ton of comfort he can play. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Serious question, how do we know he was a good get? Can he actually play? I'm not sure the little that he played should give us a ton of comfort he can play. 

He played a solid back up role and acquitted himself well on ST from what I saw and what I’ve heard. We also didn’t bring any more talent there with the draft. There should be room for another camp body at TE but hopefully Kraft back soon. MIN definitely wanted Sims but was just crowded on the 53. I think he’s still got his best ball in front of him. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He did see some limited action last year.  Looked pretty good.  Small sample size that's why I want to see more of him.  Big dude 6'5 250.  There is a reason the Packers claimed him.  He's #3 and expect him to beat out Davis and make the 53.  With the Kraft injury suspect we'll get a good look to start the season. 

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

He played a solid back up role and acquitted himself well on ST from what I saw and what I’ve heard. We also didn’t bring any more talent there with the draft. There should be room for another camp body at TE but hopefully Kraft back soon. MIN definitely wanted Sims but was just crowded on the 53. I think he’s still got his best ball in front of him. 

You got Pearson/Davis to get you through til Kraft is back. Think they're pretty comfy with that crew. And then a few camp bodies for filler.

Sims a solid 3 I don't see much more than a guy who you'd be trying to upgrade if he was your 2nd.

Edited by HighCalebR

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Feels like you're going to want to play more TEs on kickoffs now with the new kickoff rule basically creating a running play, the ideal "up-man" is now a mobile guy who can block.

Still not going to have 5 active TEs. Think we end up just calling up Pearson for a couple weeks until Krafts back. 2-4 should carry ST reps. Then you got guys like heath at the tail end of the WR group. Teach some LBs how to get in the way for a second, that's really all you need.

Kick coverage is a much more useful skill than return.