2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Rolling with Carlson! 

For the most part I've not paid attention, but the snippets I've read online and here - they've gotta go with Carlson. Here's to 🤞he has a rebound year.

If both of these guys were coming in with no history in GB, it wouldn't have been much of a debate.  The angst about Carlson is all about what he did in GB last season, not what he did in camp.  At this point I am not overly concerned who gets the job.  It's going to be a bumpy ride either way.  I kind of want to see Joseph get the job just to see the "Carlson has to go!" camp calling for Joseph's job by November.  If Calson gets the job (as I expect) it's going to be non-stop whining after every missed kick.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If both of these guys were coming in with no history in GB, it wouldn't have been much of a debate.  The angst about Carlson is all about what he did in GB last season, not what he did in camp.  At this point I am not overly concerned who gets the job.  It's going to be a bumpy ride either way.  I kind of want to see Joseph get the job just to see the "Carlson has to go!" camp calling for Joseph's job by November.  If Calson gets the job (as I expect) it's going to be non-stop whining after every missed kick.

With 1118 votes in, Calson is winning 58% to 42%

20 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Why is, Someone Else, not an option?

It's really slim pickings, McManus is dealing with a sexual abuse civil case, Riley Patterson is great from 45 and under, you don't want him kicking longer than that, Joey Slye is pretty much the same as Carlson and Joseph. 

If you wanted a kicker, should've made the Cade York trade Gutey.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

IMO the smart play (if no door No. 3) is giving the nod to Joseph and putting Carlson on the PS. Hell you could even see Carlson at some point during the season because he's still practicing with the team. Right now I trust Joseph a bit more inside of 45 yards and a lot more inside of 40. Outside of 45 they are probably a toss up even though Joseph does have a bigger leg. 

30 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What has Joseph done to inspire confidence other than missing more kicks in camp?

Again, start with the basics. If they are roughly equal from 45+ in terms of reliability, I'm taking the guy who's at least more reliable on the "gimme" kicks. Joseph has missed 1 FG in his career from 30-39. Carlson just missed a 32-yard FG, something that's not even surprising given that he missed 5 XPs last year. 

You can reasonably trust Joseph up to 40 yards. You can't trust Carlson from any distance right now. 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Again, start with the basics. If they are roughly equal from 45+ in terms of reliability, I'm taking the guy who's at least more reliable on the "gimme" kicks. Joseph has missed 1 FG in his career from 30-39. Carlson just missed a 32-yard FG, something that's not even surprising given that he missed 5 XPs last year. 

You can reasonably trust Joseph up to 40 yards. You can't trust Carlson from any distance right now. 

Joseph missed 6 xp kicking for Minnesota in 2022.  Acting like Joseph is hands down more trustable inside 40 is foolish

• Like 1

What's annoying is that the Lions lost Badgley for the season on the 26th of July and proceeded to pick up Jake Bates who by all accounts is kicking very well in camp.

Why can't we spot a good kicker?

Looking at kickers who are currently rostered right now but are potential cuts:

Blake Grupe or Charlie Smyth (ip) - Saints

Jude McAtamney (ip) - Giants

Brayden Narveson - Titans

Spencer Shrader - Colts

Matthew Wright - Steelers

Lucas Havrisik - Browns

Austin Seibert - Jets

Chad Ryland or Joey Slye - Patriots

Theres a whole bunch of interesting UFL/XFL/USFL kickers such as Andre Szmyt

Edited by Chili

46 minutes ago, Chili said:

What's annoying is that the Lions lost Badgley for the season on the 26th of July and proceeded to pick up Jake Bates who by all accounts is kicking very well in camp.

Why can't we spot a good kicker?

We offered Bates too.