Lunatic's Best Case Scenario Mock

StLunatic88

Alright, we all know Mock Draft season hasnt been all that fun this year, but thats OK because we made the team so much better with Vets, and we know who will be leading the team at QB going forward. So With limited Mocks to do, I figured I would throw out a mock that I believe would be the absolute best case scenario for the Bears in 2024. A few guys slipping to somewhat realistic spots, although not likely. How would you feel if we walk out of next weekend with these guys?

Round 1

1:1 Caleb Williams QB - USC

We all know this pick, the dice have been rolled, now we just are hoping we dont Crap Out. I have always seen the talent which is great (not "generational") but there are still things that make me pause (attitude, play style, size) but Poles & Co have evaluated all of those and feel comfortable enough that he can improve on those and/or they arent going to be an issue at this level. Hes hoping that hes the greatest QB in Bears History 

2:WAS J. Daniels, 3:NE D. Maye, 4:ARZ M. Harrison, 5:MIN J. McCarthy, 6:NYG M. Nabers, 7:TEN T. Fuaga, 8:ATL D. Turner

Was just running down these picks to show how we get to the best possible situation. Its not crazy to see it happening, this is without Bowers or Odunze or any of the other Defensive prospects getting in there. I have a feeling the talk of the OTs that arent Alt/Olu are coming from Tennessee, for a few reasons but mostly because I believe Vrabel was the only thing tethering that organization to reality. Again, not what Im officially predicting, but just showing that this scenario is not that far fetched.

1:9 Joe Alt OT - Notre Dame

Ive been saying it since my first mock, Joe Alt would be my pick over just about anyone else in this draft. Its MHJ and Alt at the top for me, some seem to not agree about either of those these days (although I think its more prospect fatigue than anything) but if we are going to get Caleb as the long term Franchise QB, giving him a long term Franchise LT to start with would go a long way in that effort. I know plenty of people like Braxton Jones, I do too. I just think he has been maxed out on talent, and if somehow a true Blindside protector falls into our lap, we cant pass up that gift. Braxton can be useful in other ways, Swing Tackle, Trade Chip, even other spots on the line I have not given up the idea of. But Alt should be a day one LT and for the next Decade as he has plenty of upside still.

Round 2

TRADE: CAR sends #33 + #142 to CHI for #75 + CAR '25 2nd + CHI '25 3rd

Ill keep saying this for the next 10 days, I just dont think this draft is that good. Which I think makes this usually very valuable pick not as valuable as in years past. Still valuable to the Panthers, but we have something that 31 other teams dont, the Panthers 2025 2nd rounder and they want it back. Thats the basis of this deal, and if you go look at the Fitz/berger TVC we are actually overpaying by a Top 100 pick in value. And the lower end talent in the mid/later rounds is what also makes 2 future picks more desirable. Some might say the panthers wont trade down that far since they dont have a 1st, but remember they also have or 2nd just six picks later. And getting next years 2nd back would be huge for them, as they can recoup some of the damage of that disastrous trade from last year

2:33 Jackson Powers-Johnson OL - Oregon

I still think JPJ is the best interior lineman in this draft, BUT he is probably Center only which does scare some teams, and while he isnt limited to only one scheme, hes clearly better fit for some. Good thing ours is one of those schemes. And If you guys have paid attention to anything that Ive been saying the past few years its that Center is almost as important as LT in todays NFL. Especially one that commands the entire line as an extension of the QB. JPJ can do that, and be a great blocker. If we can like Caleb-Alt-JPJ it might be one of the best drafts of all time, and honestly we can just go home and not make a single other pick the rest of the weekend.

Round 4

4:122 Ben Sinnott TE/HB - Kansas St

While I think some have gone overboard looking at the 13 personnel from Waldron, it was more of a use of his assets (and the OL) than it being what he needs to run his offense. But the thing with Sinnott is he isnt your usual TE in 2024. This guys does all the dirty work, and can be a sneaky weapon right away. He is your TE3 and your FB all in one. This guy would be a 3rd down and goal line menace, with the raw skills and work ethic to be able to grow and become your TE2 in short order. I just love this guy as a football player, and want him badly. He would have to slip some from his current projections, but its not an outrageous slide., especially with other flashy move TEs moving up boards. 

Round 5

5:142 Brendan Rice WR - USC

There are plenty of other WRs who I like better in this draft, but a few things Rice brings that make him a worth while pick here. First is the obvious USC connection with Caleb, they havent gone crazy like others we have seen but its there. Also he brings something we dont really have in the WR corps right now (size) and with good coaching he should be able to start using it. And then of course, hes Jerry Rice's kid right? always worth a chance. I see plenty of things to like, and plenty of untapped potential in him. But in the end, hes a project, who could be a bit of an asset as a rookie, but its a longer term play. I know so many have thought about having 3 major WR weapons this year, but honestly, theres a pretty good chance that they already think they have it with Everett being the 3rd guy even though he has a 'TE' next to his name

This is obviously a massive risk going ALL Offense here, but if you are going to commit to giving Caleb Williams every chance to succeed it might have to be the play for one year. We then go out and grab Carl Lawson and/or Charles Harris to be the DE rotational guys, and hope to find a DT off the cut heap in august. This is suddenly a force of a team (with some holes) that might be everyone's sleeper pick for 2024

• Like 4

I love this.  I honestly didn’t even notice it wall all offense till you mentioned it at the end.  And idc.  Like you said, make this ALL about Williams. Yes, a strong defense also helps.  We got a good defense as it is.  Give Williams the best possible OL and arsenal of weapons possible.

• Like 2

This draft could give us a 90s Cowboys level Oline by 2025.  An Oline that was primarily responsible for them having a dynasty and making Emmit Smith all time rushing leader.

But it won’t happen.  

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I’d take this draft for sure.  But I think all of your picks aside from Caleb are going off board earlier.  

Oh yea, most likely, but thats why its Best Case scenario.

I do think we could luck into one of these happening in the actual draft though. Id put that in order of likelihood; Rice in the 5th, 33rd Pick Trade with Carolina, Sinnott in the 4th, Alt at #9 and then JPJ falling to the 2nd

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This draft could give us a 90s Cowboys level Oline by 2025.

Honestly this is what I want for this team. Get the studs at LT-C-RT and fill in with young cheap talent at the Guard spots. That way we can keep the QB safe, keep rotating young and aging vet RBs and keep one stud WR with other complimentary weapons.

That also allows you to keep paying a defernse too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Honestly this is what I want for this team. Get the studs at LT-C-RT and fill in with young cheap talent at the Guard spots. That way we can keep the QB safe, keep rotating young and aging vet RBs and keep one stud WR with other complimentary weapons.

That also allows you to keep paying a defernse too

I have been saying this for two decades.   That is how you build an Oline at any level of football.   

When Detroit finally did that I knew they would be good regardless of what else they did.  

• Like 2

I like the first part but after Powers, I really want defense....that DLine is held together with duct tape and string.....the only to dudes who are bonafide starters are Sweat and Billings, why are we so obsessed with offensive weapons that will be lower on the depth chart than all of our current players? A defensive lineman would pretty much be in our rotation ASAP and we need them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

I like the first part but after Powers, I really want defense....that DLine is held together with duct tape and string.....the only to dudes who are bonafide starters are Sweat and Billings, why are we so obsessed with offensive weapons that will be lower on the depth chart than all of our current players? A defensive lineman would pretty much be in our rotation ASAP and we need them.

I think the Sinnot and Rice signings are far more about supporting Williams through his entire rookie contract rather than playing a ton right now. Right now Allen is a one-year rental unless they agree on an extension (I expect that honestly) or Poles wants to use the franchise tag (100% would before just letting him walk). Everett can be cut for pennies if he plays poorly too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I think the Sinnot and Rice signings are far more about supporting Williams through his entire rookie contract rather than playing a ton right now. Right now Allen is a one-year rental unless they agree on an extension (I expect that honestly) or Poles wants to use the franchise tag (100% would before just letting him walk). Everett can be cut for pennies if he plays poorly too.

I get that, but we’re also gonna continue to add guys to help him do that next year. And the year after. And the year after that. We’re one Sweat injury away from having ZERO pass rush. The year 1 Trestman team scored a ton of points but couldn’t stop anyone. That’s not good for CW’s development either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I get that, but we’re also gonna continue to add guys to help him do that next year. And the year after. And the year after that. We’re one Sweat injury away from having ZERO pass rush. The year 1 Trestman team scored a ton of points but couldn’t stop anyone. That’s not good for CW’s development either. 

I wasn't saying otherwise either. I outbid HOU for Autry and BUF for Epenesa. I've been pounding the table for stacking the OL and DL for years, so I get it. lol

But I DO believe if you are picking offense or defense you go offense with Williams and offense. I think losing 30-28 hurts his confidence in himself and his supporting cast way less than winning 13-10 helps him. I'm sure Tru knew damn good and well the defense was why they were a threat for the Super Bowl, he knew he was mediocre. By the last year in CHI he didn't have any of that same swagger he did coming in. Him going 4-8 hurt his pride I'm sure, ending the season with 12 starts and only having 7 TDs (0 rushing either) and having 7 INTs, now THAT hurts development. They went 5-11 with a top 10 defense. He knew he was killing the team I'm sure. So did Rex/Orton. I think the lack of support on offense was way more detrimental to Fields than the swamp *** defense he had the first 2-2.5 years. Bears have to change that culture to ever be more than the bottom-feeder franchise it perennially has been since the mid-90s.

• Like 2