2024 NFL draft Rd 1 GDT (No Spoilers!)

Forge

So, I really like Pearsall. Had him in a similar bucket to McConkey, but thought we were more likely to take him. He isn't the route runner McConkey is, but he's such a smooth athlete in and out of breaks and so quick. Actually will break a tackle or two with the ball in his hands and was schemed touches on reverses and screens. He's also a bit more physical and has slightly longer arms than McConkey has, but you do still notice the lack of catch radius. Isn't as small a radius as Ladd has, however. Florida ran a similar scheme to us - a lot of shifts and motions and overs and swings and screens and the occasional post route. Was really nasty as a deep over route runner and very threatening deep down the field, though Florida struggled to access these areas. Intriguing player because he played with a terrible qb this year and it messed with his production. 

• Like 4

Just now, JIllg said:

So, I really like Pearsall. Had him in a similar bucket to McConkey, but thought we were more likely to take him. He isn't the route runner McConkey is, but he's such a smooth athlete in and out of breaks and so quick. Actually will break a tackle or two with the ball in his hands and was schemed touches on reverses and screens. He's also a bit more physical and has slightly longer arms than McConkey has, but you do still notice the lack of catch radius. Isn't as small a radius as Ladd has, however. Florida ran a similar scheme to us - a lot of shifts and motions and overs and swings and screens and the occasional post route. Was really nasty as a deep over route runner and very threatening deep down the field, though Florida struggled to access these areas. Intriguing player because he played with a terrible qb this year and it messed with his production. 

Pearsall is a DAMN GOOD PLAYER.  

The issue is they had DeJean and Newton on the board, two beasts...top 20 talents a month ago. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Ok, one of us has gotta try to hype this kid up a little.  Dig into the film, find positive things, etc. 

He reminds me of Ronnie Bell a lot.  Which isn't horrible, but man, with the board as it was at 31, I just don't understand the pick.

I mean, if Ronnie Bell ran a 4.4 flat, they would actually be pretty similar. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 9:01 PM, John232 said:

Forge ok?

I actually really like Pearsall. I'm probably doing better than most tbh lol. This is a little bit of a reach for me, so I'm torn about it, but I think Pearsall is a legit player in the slot. He has some feet, man. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Report just came out Deebo is the one likely to be traded 

I'm just not psyched to trust a WR trio of Deebo, Pearsall, Jennings. Hows that passing game going to look when Deebo misses his typical 3 games a year.

It has to be Deebo...(trying not to hate on him too much, I do love Deebo)

Damn. Definitely an underwhelming selection. I don't see this making the 49ers better at winning a Super Bowl next season. I know a lot of the hot OL names went off the board, but I would have liked to have seen that addressed in the first round regardless. That killed the 49ers offense at the finish line. But a lot of draft to go. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I mean, if Ronnie Bell ran a 4.4 flat, they would actually be pretty similar. 

After watching Bell last year and his weird hopping catch thing he's got going on, I like Pearsall a heck of a lot more as a natural pass catcher lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Side note - I may be wrong with the timing,  but Aiyuk and Pearsall former teammates at ASU? 

Yep. Pearsall was one of those 5 year guys. 

This was definitely a reach, but like you I don’t dislike the player. Felt like he was a solid second rounder and was actually thinking he’d be someone we’d target…in the second.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

nah Pearsall is VERY GOOD.  VERY VERY good.  But what bothers me is the guys they had on the board, just crushing. 

True! Especially since they could have gotten Pearsall in the second 

The league is telling us WR is extremely valuable right now- while defense is getting pushed way down the board. We have seen in mocks how quickly WR dries up in this draft.. just got to hope for good return from a Deebo trade.

• Like 2