2024 NFL draft Rd 1 GDT (No Spoilers!)

Forge

So some folks are bringing up Pearsall's age but this is a team still in a win now mode so it did not make much sense to draft a development WR or a WR that will need some time to get going. Pearsall's route running and ability to find openings will be there from day one. Who knows if he ever becomes a pro bowl caliber WR, but I don't think this team was looking for that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So some folks are bringing up Pearsall's age but this is a team still in a win now mode so it did not make much sense to draft a development WR or a WR that will need some time to get going. Pearsall's route running and ability to find openings will be there from day one. Who knows if he ever becomes a pro bowl caliber WR, but I don't think this team was looking for that. 

Right. And like, Christian Kirk or Calvin Ridley make more than top corners these days. And Pearsall could be that kind of player. Only concerns with Pearsall are the short wingspan, light weight, and lack of production for age. The latter has some excuses. Watching Florida's quarterbacking makes me sad. But it is a data point. Can't fault the movement skills, though. He might already have among the best set of movement tools in the NFL to build on. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Right. And like, Christian Kirk or Calvin Ridley make more than top corners these days. And Pearsall could be that kind of player. Only concerns with Pearsall are the short wingspan, light weight, and lack of production for age. The latter has some excuses. Watching Florida's quarterbacking makes me sad. But it is a data point. Can't fault the movement skills, though. He might already have among the best set of movement tools in the NFL to build on. 

Like I said in the other thread, If Pearsall is the first pick this evening, nobody would think twice about it.

But because he didn't have a first-round grade by most pundits, it's considered a head scratcher.

He has passed the eye test for most of us.

Value wasn't great but this regime has proven time & time again that they could give two f*#s about value.

There were 4-5 WRs I was hoping we could somehow land going into this.

Pearsall was one of them.

I'm good with the pick.

• Like 2

This is a good point. I'm a guy that just prefers putting out the most talent on the field and letting it play out but we will not get nothing for Deebo next offseason or may get very little. We can still get solid value this year while then drafting an OL/CB with the pick we use to trade on him.

Javon Solomon in the 3rd round anyone? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is a good point. I'm a guy that just prefers putting out the most talent on the field and letting it play out but we will not get nothing for Deebo next offseason or may get very little. We can still get solid value this year while then drafting an OL/CB with the pick we use to trade on him.

Javon Solomon in the 3rd round anyone? 

I still don't think it happens because there's definitely room for a top 4 WR group of Aiyuk, Deebo, Pearsall, Jennings in 2024. Or - we're willing to trade Deebo for a high 2nd and are still not done at WR. I could believe that as well.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yep, he's a day one plug and play type of WR who will put up good stats. He's going to get the job done and will help transition the offense to have more of a prototypical drop back passing game. That's where it is heading with Purdy and Pearsall will just help accelerate it. 

Expect some trades today other than the Deebo one. This team does not believe in the depth of the draft and don't think there are many draftable players in the last few rounds. They will trade up in the 3rd I believe, possibly in the 2nd. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I still don't think it happens because there's definitely room for a top 4 WR group of Aiyuk, Deebo, Pearsall, Jennings in 2024. Or - we're willing to trade Deebo for a high 2nd and are still not done at WR. I could believe that as well.

We can also trade Jennings for a day three pick. Have a trio of Deebo/Aiyuk/Pearsall. 

A lot of different directions this team can go in.  

43 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I've seen the Kirk comp before. Definitely don't hate it. 

I have some concerns about Pearsall's play strength and I'm not sure he has a release package that can consistently beat press, but that's why he's going to be in the slot or put out as a Z. 

• Like 2

• GW21 locked this topic
  • GW21 unpinned and unlocked this topic