2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

10 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Why is everyone laughing at this pick?

This is literally straight from the Packers playbook and it brought us Rodgers/Love/Favre. Three consecutive elite quarterbacks.

Is it just the player? 

Penix is 24 and Cousins has a 4 year contract. At least Love was only 21 when he was drafted.

At pick number 8 that is a very expensive contract to backup Cousins who's also on a massive contract. Its not a good use of salary cap space.

They're trying to copy us which is fine but they're going about it the wrong way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

But history tells us most "older" rookie QB's do not pan out. 

Don't think a team should draft based on history.  Trust your scouts and evaluators.    Obviously you could be correct and McCarthy turns out to be the better QB - but better to draft with conviction you got your guy 

If I had to rate the odds for the quarterbacks so far:

JJ McCarthy
Drake Maye
Michael Penix Jr
Jayden Daniels
Caleb Williams

JJ McCarthy is going to a great situation. Better if Darnold starts the year for the Vikings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

Don't think a team should draft based on history.  Trust your scouts and evaluators.    Obviously you could be correct and McCarthy turns out to be the better QB - but better to draft with conviction you got your guy 

I don't think McCarthy is that good either. I just like the chances with the younger guy sitting and watching more than the older guy. 

I actually think they both bust. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Did they fix that ****ty offensive line yet? 

I won't let anyone forget that Rodgers got hurt because he didn't do what the play called for, which would have resulted in an easy ten yard completion and first down and instead tried to sabotage a play he didn't like by extending a play that was designed specifically to be a quick hitter. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

Anyone remember what did the Vikings traded earlier to get #23?     

Trade thoughts now that they got JJ at 10 without using that #23?

I believe it was their 2nd the year and a 2nd next year.

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

Penix is 24 and Cousins has a 4 year contract. At least Love was only 21 when he was drafted.

At pick number 8 that is a very expensive contract to backup Cousins who's also on a massive contract. Its not a good use of salary cap space.

They're trying to copy us which is fine but they're going about it the wrong way.

Yeah that's less than ideal.

Maybe insurance for Cousins coming off an injury. By getting a player with a crazy injury history. 

I can see the points against that move now.