2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

5 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I swear the NFC South has the dumbest FO personal in the entire league. First Carolina  gifts the Bears a potential franchise QB, and ATL passes on Odunze after giving Cousins all that cash. They really made it hard on the NFC North.

Unless the North QBs bust, but from this vantage point it seems a bit stupid. 

Ari Meirov -  Falcons HC Raheem Morris on taking Michael Penix Jr.: "The Green Bay model was something we talked about. It proved to be right last year. Hopefully we’ll be right with them."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Ari Meirov -  Falcons HC Raheem Morris on taking Michael Penix Jr.: "The Green Bay model was something we talked about. It proved to be right last year. Hopefully we’ll be right with them."

lol. Except that Love was 3 years younger. Penix could be 28-29 before he starts at that rate. 😂 

Love wasn't a top 10 pick either. In the Love draft, I can't even imagine how badly Rodgers would have lost his **** if Gute had passed on a player like Odunze in the top 10 to take Love  instead. Hell, as a GB fan I would have been right there with Rodgers.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Love wasn't a top 10 pick either.

In fairness to the Falcons, the desperation to get quarterbacks has become somewhat comical. I would say after Williams, they were all over drafted. Michael Panics probably should have gone in the 20's. 

Finding talent like Rodgers and Love in the 20's of the draft is probably not going to happen again. I think the "Packers" model will become more common place in the NFL. 

24 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

lol. Except that Love was 3 years younger. Penix could be 28-29 before he starts at that rate. 😂 

If AR (at his age) and his contract can get traded...I'd give it two years before we start hearing about Cousins being on the trading block. Somebody said it last night on social media: the selection is an indication ATL doesnt intend to draft this high again anytime soon. They've scraped along at QB for quite awhile....and hope to have addressed that long term now....which (like our situation...) depends on Penix being that guy. Time will tell. 

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, bleedforbucky said:

Ok so I go CB Tampa at 41 and Bullard at 58. Assuming we stay put. 

So many good players left. Day 2 is always my favorite day and double that this year since we have 4 picks. 

DeJean, Kool Aid, Newton, Tampa, Bullard, Kneeland, Cooper, Colson, Bishop, JPJ, Melton, Hicks, Jenkins...

Lot of defensive talent available. 

As Gutey said, "today is a big day for our organization."

• Like 2

This is d2 talk but that thread is locked. 

Dejean, kool aid, rakestraw

Edgerrin cooper, colson

JPJ, frazier

Kneeland

Newton, Orhorhoro, hall jr, k jenkins

Nubin bullard

Some really good players still on the board

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

The Cousins thing is so funny. He probably said “shoot” and maybe even “dang it”

He was way more emotional than that. Definitely dropped a “frick”. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

The Cousins thing is so funny. He probably said “shoot” and maybe even “dang it”

With Cousins, it does feel a bit different because he hasn’t been a one team face of the franchise like the GB guys (Favre’s year in ATL notwithstanding). It is a business but obviously a QB especially spending 10+ years at the position becomes pretty entrenched. If Cousins does comeback to the levels he was at before, he will still be a very tradable asset in a season or two.  I’m sure he’s not as happy as he would have been without someone looking over his shoulder, but he’s on a new team and recovering from a very real injury. He should embrace the competition and by all accounts in a good guy who will help the youngster grow. 

• Like 1