2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

6 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

We're going to. We're gonna draft another couple IMO. 

Wouldn’t mind 2 OL out of the first 5 picks, and then another late round flier. 

Taking Rosengarten tomorrow would be aces 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Oh I think the Patriots and Falcons very much sabotaged the Vikings pick. They clearly wanted Maye. And They’ll never admit it, but rumors said they may have liked Penix more than McCarthy, and they put out a spin statement immediately saying they had McCarthy “slightly” ahead of Penix. Not sure why they would even bother with that statement if the reality weren’t the exact opposite. 

Well, yeah could be, but it was probably going to take an extra sweet offer to pry Maye away from the teams ahead of them in the QB hunt, especially between Washington and New England.  And even though the Giants and Titans opted not to go after QB, I think both of them are going to regret that with how awful their QB rooms are now, and considering both of them just lost their prize RBs this off-season.

But between McCarthy and Penix, you're kind of flipping a coin in my books, and I don't know.  Now given that Penix has himself in a spot where he's the understudy and might be able to get his feet under him without having to get thrown in, I wouldn't be shocked if his career overall ended up being better than McCarthy's.  But I can't help but feel like Minny got the guy you'd want if you're looking for a QB who might launch right away.

The good for us is so far the Vikings have largely failed with drafted QBs over the last 30 years.  Only guy who I'd point out as a success in a limited sense is Dante Culpeper, and that was mostly because he has Randy Moss on his team.

Bad news is I get the feeling McCarthy could be a Baker Mayfield type of QB.  Not a great one and maybe not even consistently good from year to year.  But good enough that your offense won't be limited, and the Vikings may not be as bad as I might have hoped for.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Wouldn’t mind 2 OL out of the first 5 picks, and then another late round flier. 

Taking Rosengarten tomorrow would be aces 

If the elite 10 yard split rule that @wgbeethree pointed out continues to hold true then Rosengarten is certainly a possibility.  I like Suamataia and Brandon Coleman as options tomorrow as well.  I suppose Mason McCormick is in the mix too but I'll have to hold my nose for that one.  I like him even less than I liked Morgan so he'll probably be one of our picks lol.

• Like 1

I swear the NFC South has the dumbest FO personal in the entire league. First Carolina  gifts the Bears a potential franchise QB, and ATL passes on Odunze after giving Cousins all that cash. They really made it hard on the NFC North.

Edited by St Vince