Titans Draft OT JC Latham

10 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

After seeing how the draft fell I am perfectly fine with the pick. Just think it's so dumb what the Chargers did lol 

But we had to get a tackle and waiting around would have costed us a lot of them. If Callahan thinks Latham is best for us then so do I

I still can't get over it.  And yeah, at least a little of it is being salty for not being able to take Alt, but like, let's say hypothetically, the Titans had drafted Broderick Jones last year instead of Skoronski.  I would be livid if this team drafted Latham when Odunze was on the board.

And for the Chargers, it's even worse.  They have a proven left tackle, so they only need a right tackle, they have less talent at receiver than we do, and they have a proven franchise QB.  Harbaugh has made the decision to take a team that just broke the bank for their QB, and not utilize that QB as the main part of their offense.  Like, Alt is a great player.  I have no doubt he will be one of the best tackles in the league in no time, so the Chargers will have maybe the best tackle combo.

But it's such a waste.  Giving Malik Nabers to Herbert would have really been a great offense.

• Like 1

I'm happy with the pick. We desperately need tackle help and, while I did think we'd go Odunze the way things fell, I think this is going to be a pick we're very happy we made in 3 years time.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Lol, I'm teeing up his Michigan tape for copium right now.  I know he gave up some bad sacks and pressures in one drive, but from what I remember, the Bama OL was a turnstile that game, except for at RT.  Hopefully I feel better about it.

My revised thoughts, after sleeping on it: Latham has the best anchor in the class, and is one of the most powerful people movers.  The only top end OTs that are on his level in that department were Taliese Fuaga and Christian Jones.  However, I worry about conditioning and effort with him.  I hope some of that can be tossed up to Bama's scheme, and he said in his interview that he'd lost 20 lbs recently.  If he can slim up, and get to a playing weight of more like 320-330, I think that might help mitigate his speed, which is the biggest concern.  Latham is just not quick.  He misses blitzes and stunts a lot, and it just seems to be because he's not quick enough to get to them in time.  That's less of a concern at RT, because it's not the QB's blind side, and I think things like ILB and CB blitzes usually come from the left, because if the QB picks them up, they lose effectiveness.  That and just flipping his muscle memory and being the classic run blocker makes me still very bearish on him ever working out on the left side.

I'm less upset about not trading down, because it does look like the thing I said never happens happened, and no one was interested in moving up.  So, since it really didn't appear to be an option, I can't cry about it.

Lastly, upside is there.  I think athleticism isn't his strong suit outside of strength, which is gonna be my worry until he's on the field and moving well, but he had prototype size, long arms, and huge hands.  That's most of what you want in a tackle.

And hey, worst case scenario (in my mind), he's a solid right tackle.  Assuming growth from Skoronski, and similar level play from Cushenberry and Brunskill under Bill Callahan, that means the only "bad" spot on the OL would be left tackle.  That's the worst spot to be weak in, which is why I still think taking a classic RT is not a good use of resources, but it's also not a bad spot to be in overall to have four of your five OLs be good players.  It'll still be a much improved unit.  And baby Callahan does have plenty of experience scheming around offensive line holes.

So still not thrilled with it, and I definitely think Fashanu would have been a much wiser pick, but it's not as bad as a LOT of other picks that got made last night.

I think he’s very quick an agile for his size; I disagree with you on that, however I feel he misses on stunts & blitzes due to being overly aggressive. 

I try not to get angry anymore with people's takes or about Titans football in general. 
I'll just say it is frustrating sometimes listening to people give such negative opinions on matters that haven't even happened yet. I always consider the source when hearing or reading these things but they can be ear bleeding takes at times. 

Jared Stillman on radio wants Ran fired. Hates Skron pick, even though top of the line OGs are getting paid $20 million a year now. He is an idiot so what. But hate that he has that platform. 

The hate of the pick because he is a "RT Only" boggles the mind. Mainly because it's not proven to be the case. Also they just ignore the fact that the NFL is telling fans with their actions RT's are important. Penei Sewell, Lane Johnson, Ryan Ramczyk, Brian O'Neill, Mike McGlinchey, Taylor Moton all getting paid over $70 million. Sewell maybe the best OT in the game is at RT and is the highest paid.  Until Tristan Wirfs, gets a deal. 

All that to say if Lathum doesn't work out at LT. The NFL is changing. But people can't seem to accept that RT's are almost just as important as a LT. Watt rushes on the RT side. 

I was team WR from the jump. I hate OL in the first. But I know it's a necessity. I grew to really like Lathum weeks ago after really looking at him. Like many I thought he was an OG, because of his body type. But also researching how his body looks compared to others he fits in.  
Needing an OT, I'm just fine with the pick. Lathum, Fashanu, etc. all those guys picked in the 1st would have been fine with me. I wanted to recoup the 3rd round pick somehow. That's my main goal entering the draft. Hopefully we can still make that happen. 

• Like 1

It took me a minute to come around to this pick, because I wanted Odunze, but hearing that he's going to start out at LT makes me feel a lot better about the pick and the overall value of it. The more I think about it, I don't think there was another tackle with his profile in this class outside of Alt. The power, size, youth, ability to stay on the field, domination at the highest level in college football, former 5 star recruit, the list of positives goes on and on...  I mean once you start piecing the entire picture together with JC, I think it's pretty clear that we got ourselves a rare athlete with a great track record of success. If he ends up being our long term answer at LT then we knocked this pick out of the park.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I try not to get angry anymore with people's takes or about Titans football in general. 
I'll just say it is frustrating sometimes listening to people give such negative opinions on matters that haven't even happened yet. I always consider the source when hearing or reading these things but they can be ear bleeding takes at times. 

Jared Stillman on radio wants Ran fired. Hates Skron pick, even though top of the line OGs are getting paid $20 million a year now. He is an idiot so what. But hate that he has that platform. 

The hate of the pick because he is a "RT Only" boggles the mind. Mainly because it's not proven to be the case. Also they just ignore the fact that the NFL is telling fans with their actions RT's are important. Penei Sewell, Lane Johnson, Ryan Ramczyk, Brian O'Neill, Mike McGlinchey, Taylor Moton all getting paid over $70 million. Sewell maybe the best OT in the game is at RT and is the highest paid.  Until Tristan Wirfs, gets a deal. 

All that to say if Lathum doesn't work out at LT. The NFL is changing. But people can't seem to accept that RT's are almost just as important as a LT. Watt rushes on the RT side. 

I was team WR from the jump. I hate OL in the first. But I know it's a necessity. I grew to really like Lathum weeks ago after really looking at him. Like many I thought he was an OG, because of his body type. But also researching how his body looks compared to others he fits in.  
Needing an OT, I'm just fine with the pick. Lathum, Fashanu, etc. all those guys picked in the 1st would have been fine with me. I wanted to recoup the 3rd round pick somehow. That's my main goal entering the draft. Hopefully we can still make that happen. 

My guy, unless you never want to say anything about the upcoming season, this is a nonsense argument.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My guy, unless you never want to say anything about the upcoming season, this is a nonsense argument.

It's not an argument. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just making a damn statement on what think/Feel. 

There is a difference in "OH THIS GUY IS JUST GONNA SUCK! FIRE EVERYONE! He can't even play LT. RT doesn't matter."
and
"Damn, not the guy I wanted. I have serious doubts about his ability to play in the NFL due to his size and what I see on tape with his movement. I think he will struggle against speed. I think we should have traded down and picked up Fashanu or another guy. I don't like him at LT. I think he will struggle based on what I've seen."

Edited by KingTitan

3 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Was just coming to post this.  

That's a strong dude. 
I'm curious to see if his body changes up when he gets in an NFL program. Alabama isn't some back water program, but having time to dedicate just to this will be interesting.

44 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I think he’s very quick an agile for his size; I disagree with you on that, however I feel he misses on stunts & blitzes due to being overly aggressive. 

agreed, i am not an OL expert by any means but i’ve tried to watch/learn more this draft cycle, and my impression is his vulnerability to inside moves and stunts has more to do with over-setting and a need to improve recognition/football IQ than a lack of quickness. the guy explodes off the line in a way that seems pretty remarkable for his size.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

agreed, i am not an OL expert by any means but i’ve tried to watch/learn more this draft cycle, and my impression is his vulnerability to inside moves and stunts has more to do with over-setting and a need to improve recognition/football IQ than a lack of quickness. the guy explodes off the line in a way that seems pretty remarkable for his size.

Boy, I hope you're right.  If quickness isn't actually as bad as it appears to me, then I will be way less concerned.  And I will say, his worst game for that was Texas, which was early in the season.  So maybe I'm putting too much stock in older games.  He's young, he may have improved markedly in that area over the season.

I also want to know what he actually weighs now.  He said in his interview he'd lost 20 lbs.  Was that since the combine?  Was it since the end of the season?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I do think he'd be helped a lot by losing some weight.  It's part of why he has such a good anchor, but even if he gets down to 320, he'll still have a well above average one.

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Boy, I hope you're right.  If quickness isn't actually as bad as it appears to me, then I will be way less concerned.  And I will say, his worst game for that was Texas, which was early in the season.  So maybe I'm putting too much stock in older games.  He's young, he may have improved markedly in that area over the season.

I also want to know what he actually weighs now.  He said in his interview he'd lost 20 lbs.  Was that since the combine?  Was it since the end of the season?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I do think he'd be helped a lot by losing some weight.  It's part of why he has such a good anchor, but even if he gets down to 320, he'll still have a well above average one.

yeah, i mean everyone sees it differently when we watch these guys and someone’s gonna be right- i hope for our sake that i am lol. but i’m comforted at least that i’m not on an island with this take. 

the weight question is interesting but i think that he could possibly play at like 335-340 and be basically fine. no doubt we have a plan for that, so it’ll be interesting to see what it is.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

yes, this is saban talking. but kinda stuff you love to hear about the type of player/competitor we're getting

See, now those are some highlight blocks, lol.