Titans Draft OT JC Latham

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

From my understanding OG Cally likes Power style vs Wide zone.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2506803-what-washington-redskins-running-game-will-look-like-under-bill-callahan

Power Principles are Obvious
Power is a big part of Callahan's philosophy. The principles of power are obvious in the plays he designs, from the formations to the techniques and execution.

From my understanding it’s going to be a mix of zone & power he prefers both. I think his lateral quickness is overrated he doesn’t give up a ton of sacks or pressure 

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

From my understanding OG Cally likes Power style vs Wide zone.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2506803-what-washington-redskins-running-game-will-look-like-under-bill-callahan

Power Principles are Obvious
Power is a big part of Callahan's philosophy. The principles of power are obvious in the plays he designs, from the formations to the techniques and execution.

Og did yes. Baby Callahan in Cincy did alot of wide zone (I think more than the Titans last year). While there is some power stuff done I would say there is more zone than power 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

Og did yes. Baby Callahan in Cincy did alot of wide zone (I think more than the Titans last year). While there is some power stuff done I would say there is more zone than power 

this is only partially true. zac taylor/brian callahan started out trying to run a lot of wide zone their first couple of years in cincy (true to taylor's sean mcvay roots), but once it became clear joe burrow operated best out of the shotgun, power/gap became their bread and butter.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/1/24/23569178/2023-nfl-playoffs-bengals-chiefs-mahomes-burrow-mixon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twotonebluenation said:

Lose one king, gain another. Trench King is gonna bring swagger to our O line. Love when my man got selected. Full grillz in. Gotta love it.

At least Levis won't die while he's in the pocket waiting for no one to be open

So here’s my overall thought on the pick.

I personally had Latham and Fashanu similarly graded, with Alt graded slightly above them. Alt was a top 7 guy while those two were top 12 guys for me. That’s why the initial reaction was disappointment mixed with meh because I really would’ve preferred to trade back to grab him. The thing with the draft and what fans and some draft analysts miss out on is that 1)You need a trade partner to trade back and 2)You never truly know how the league views a guy. Just because we think we could’ve traded back and grabbed him doesn’t mean that would’ve actually happened.

Latham has all the physical tools you look for in a tackle and is entering the league with a truly elite trait/skill. His anchor/strength. That right there is a great enough starting point for Callahan to work with. Add to the fact he’s 21 with so much room to grow and there’s plenty to be excited for. Unless he’s an Andre Dillard/Denis Daley level disaster, I truly hope we stick him at LT full time this season and don’t try to flip flop him between RT and LT. Stick him at one position (LT) his rookie year like we did with Skoronski, even if there may be a bit of growing pain(I felt that’d be the case with my guy Alt too btw), and go from there. The potential of the left side with he and Skoronski is scary.

Overall, based on veteran draft guys (Zierlein and Cosell) and quotes from anonymous front office guys in the league, it feels like the league in general was way higher on him than the consensus between most fans and draft analysts. And at the end of the day, I was always of the mindset that whoever Papa Callahan co-signs for I’m all for.

49 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

Going to spend all my free time today watching breakdowns. But ya know what F IT we just drafted Trent Williams 2.0 

Lol, I'm teeing up his Michigan tape for copium right now.  I know he gave up some bad sacks and pressures in one drive, but from what I remember, the Bama OL was a turnstile that game, except for at RT.  Hopefully I feel better about it.

My revised thoughts, after sleeping on it: Latham has the best anchor in the class, and is one of the most powerful people movers.  The only top end OTs that are on his level in that department were Taliese Fuaga and Christian Jones.  However, I worry about conditioning and effort with him.  I hope some of that can be tossed up to Bama's scheme, and he said in his interview that he'd lost 20 lbs recently.  If he can slim up, and get to a playing weight of more like 320-330, I think that might help mitigate his speed, which is the biggest concern.  Latham is just not quick.  He misses blitzes and stunts a lot, and it just seems to be because he's not quick enough to get to them in time.  That's less of a concern at RT, because it's not the QB's blind side, and I think things like ILB and CB blitzes usually come from the left, because if the QB picks them up, they lose effectiveness.  That and just flipping his muscle memory and being the classic run blocker makes me still very bearish on him ever working out on the left side.

I'm less upset about not trading down, because it does look like the thing I said never happens happened, and no one was interested in moving up.  So, since it really didn't appear to be an option, I can't cry about it.

Lastly, upside is there.  I think athleticism isn't his strong suit outside of strength, which is gonna be my worry until he's on the field and moving well, but he had prototype size, long arms, and huge hands.  That's most of what you want in a tackle.

And hey, worst case scenario (in my mind), he's a solid right tackle.  Assuming growth from Skoronski, and similar level play from Cushenberry and Brunskill under Bill Callahan, that means the only "bad" spot on the OL would be left tackle.  That's the worst spot to be weak in, which is why I still think taking a classic RT is not a good use of resources, but it's also not a bad spot to be in overall to have four of your five OLs be good players.  It'll still be a much improved unit.  And baby Callahan does have plenty of experience scheming around offensive line holes.

So still not thrilled with it, and I definitely think Fashanu would have been a much wiser pick, but it's not as bad as a LOT of other picks that got made last night.

• Like 2

After seeing how the draft fell I am perfectly fine with the pick. Just think it's so dumb what the Chargers did lol 

But we had to get a tackle and waiting around would have costed us a lot of them. If Callahan thinks Latham is best for us then so do I