šŸˆ Pick #13 is in! Raiders select TE, Brock Bowers, Georgia

Canā€™t believe that this happened. I was waiting before the pick and thought.. we canā€™t go wrong. Most of everyoneā€™s favourite RTs and CBs were there. I was starting to panic thinking what would the WTF pick be?

And then it was a total WTF pick. I hadnā€™t thought, not even for one second that Bowers would either be available or something we would consider. Stunned that we had the balls to take him.

Unreal that: a) he was there and b) a Raiders FO would have the smarts to make the best pick in that momentĀ 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

A few unspecified posters will defend it to the hilt the same way they defend every pick we make, then go dead silent when it flops, then get loud again as soon as the next draft comes around lol

Itā€™s a bad look to just fall head over heels for every pick. Itā€™s ok to be critical for the right reasons. I will be the first to eat crow if Bowers busts and we are sitting here three years from now without a decent qb still. Would I have preferred a trade up for a qb? Yes. Do I like our pick? Yes. I love the optimism for our picks but also appreciate being critical. Iā€™ll never understand the folks that defended the Arnette, Leatherwood, etc picks.Ā 

Edited by FloydFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FloydFan said:

Itā€™s a bad look to just fall head over heels for every pick. Itā€™s ok to be critical for the right reasons. I will be the first to eat crow if Bowers busts and we are sitting here three years from now without a decent qb still. Would I have preferred a trade up for a qb? Yes. Do I like our pick? Yes. I love the optimism for our picks but also appreciate being critical. Iā€™ll never understand the folks that defended the Arnette, Leatherwood, etc picks.Ā 

I donā€™t remember anyone defending the Leatherwood pick. I just remember a handful of us trying to be optimistic about it (hard to do).

I had a bad feeling about Arnette after someone pointed out he had T-Rex arms.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

I donā€™t remember anyone defending the Leatherwood pick. I just remember a handful of us trying to be optimistic about it (hard to do).

Some folks defended both and you can go back and see that.Ā 

1 minute ago, FloydFan said:

Some folks defended both and you can go back and see that.Ā 

I defended the Arnette pick but he was not my choice.Ā  I went Justin Jefferson at that pick.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I defended the Arnette pick but he was not my choice.Ā  I went Justin Jefferson at that pick.

Ā Arnette was just so egregious to me. I understand the urge to defend it but looking back even that urge for me was naive.Ā 

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Ā Arnette was just so egregious to me. I understand the urge to defend it but looking back even that urge for me was naive.Ā 

My defense was more about the 40 time.

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

A few unspecified posters will defend it to the hilt the same way they defend every pick we make, then go dead silent when it flops, then get loud again as soon as the next draft comes around lol

This 100%. People acting like Bowers can't bust must not remember Kyle Pitts. I was probably the only non Pitts homer on FF. I said Pitts wasn't as athletic as people think. There was no combine that year and Pro Days don't matter, like at all. And I've been totally right so far, Pitts is terrible at getting separated. You still have some defending the guy saying it's the QB, lol. Pitts was #37 in target separation last year and #17 in yards per route run (the absolute gold standard for TE's and WR's).Ā 

Bowers didn't participate in the combine. Of course, as any player, used the injury excuse. But 95% of players who skip because of the injury excuse are just avoiding poor numbers and advised by their agent. Bowers like runs a 4.6, is only 6'3", not convinced his 3 cone wouldn't be terrible... I'm sure he'd bench crazy good though....

As every year, people go into this crazy justification process. Is there a chance Bowers bust? No. But there's an equally good chance the guy is just average just as good as he is a superstar.Ā 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

People went into justification right away (well, like an hour) saying he'd be a good guard and started getting all hyped... like 80% of the forum.Ā 

Edited by Tank4Drake
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

My defense was more about the 40 time.

Which was wrong then and is wrong now. Combine 40 time matters. No other time matters and is 10000% irrelevant, don't care who times it, they are not the combine.

22 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

People went into justification right away (well, like an hour) saying he'd be a good guard and started getting all hyped... like 80% of the forum.Ā 

Defending and justifying are different. We did need a OT. We just picked a really, really bad one. But I donā€™t remember people saying he was a good pick. I specifically remember people predicting we would reach for an OT and draft him but thatā€™s just because Mayock and Gruden loved wasting first round picks.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

A lot of people were. I specifically remember people hammering home that he was so good he was guaranteed to be gone and listing off his college awards. The defense of that pick was straight up bizarre and when I legit stopped listening to platitude-based analysis.Ā 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

A lot of people were. I specifically remember people hammering home that he was so good he was guaranteed to be gone and listing off his college awards. The defense of that pick was straight up bizarre and when I legit stopped listening to platitude-based analysis.Ā 

I guess I missed those posts.