🏈 Pick #13 is in! Raiders select TE, Brock Bowers, Georgia

1 hour ago, FloydFan said:

People really trying to argue Getsy cant use TEs? Like the one bright spot of his Chicago tenure was Kmet.

Oh I have zero doubt he can use a TE. 

We already had one. 

Now show me where he's ever consistently or effectively used 2 and justify spending 2 top 35 picks (+ the trade to move up last year) on TEs. 

45 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm beating this drum too hard probably so I'll take a break but last thought, for the same people upset with the Bowers pick are you upset with the Bears for drafting Odunze? They already had two borderline elite WRs in Moore and Allen. They absolutely had bigger needs than another pass catcher, but they went with the obvious BPA and didn't look back.

I don't care what the Bears do because I'm not a Bears fan. 

That said, we can revisit in, say, 3 years when Chicago might actually be a team worth modeling after. Right now, why anyone would want to emulate Chicago's success is beyond me. 

Aren't they kind of the poster child for all firepower without an OL or QB?

Edited by ronjon1990

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oh I have zero doubt he can use a TE. 

We already had one. 

Now show me where he's ever consistently or effectively used 2 and justify spending 2 top 35 picks (+ the trade to move up last year) on TEs. 

That remains to be seen, but because he hasn't previously doesn't mean I'm going to assume he can't. He will have no excuses with the two he has and the talent level they both possess. 

Just now, FloydFan said:

That remains to be seen, but because he hasn't previously doesn't mean I'm going to assume he can't. He will have no excuses with the two he has and the talent level they both possess. 

Can do and will do are very different things. 

Wasn't a knock on Getsy that he wouldn't tailor the offense to better suit Fields? Not that he couldn't, but like Paul Guenther, he wouldn't? 

I'm perfectly willing to assume his track record speaks for itself. His job is to prove people wrong. 

Likely: T , G, CB, DT
Sneaky options: RB, WR, LB, S 

I think the team is high on Munford. Has flashed when he gets playing time. J Brooks could be BPA and can do it all as a RB. Zeus has had major injury concerns. TAE is getting old, already in his 30s. Meyers is good but cost a lot of money. He could be replaced with a rookie contract. Renfrow already cut . I could see Troy Franklin being a sneaky option or another burner WR. There’s a couple LBs with great value still on the board. Safety could also be a sneak add. Epps going be a free agent. We about to have Koonce, Moehrig, Spillane, Jones, Deablo, Epps all free agents in 2025. I could see one or two of those guys phased out by a rookie contract. 

Those 2nd TEs were Robert Tonyan, Mercedes Lewis,Ryan Griffin and James O’Shaughnessy. Basically used them as an extra blocker. 

Bowers will be used more as a WR than a natural TE imo. 

Edited by agarcia34

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Bowers will be used more as a WR than a natural TE imo. 

Yeah I anticipate he will be all over he place. Shifted out wide with a LB on him, in the slot, inline, in the backfield, etc.

I really loved how Georgia used him. I hope Getsy can be creative with him because he took handoffs and sweeps for big gains at times. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Can do and will do are very different things. 

Wasn't a knock on Getsy that he wouldn't tailor the offense to better suit Fields? Not that he couldn't, but like Paul Guenther, he wouldn't? 

I'm perfectly willing to assume his track record speaks for itself. His job is to prove people wrong. 

From what I vaguely recall pre-draft it was that he was told to essentially put training wheels on it due to Fields by Elberflus or someone like that. I'm by no means a Getsy guy, but he has a good track record with TEs and I'll be interested to see if he can utilize double sets.

1 minute ago, FloydFan said:

From what I vaguely recall pre-draft it was that he was told to essentially put training wheels on it due to Fields by Elberflus or someone like that. I'm by no means a Getsy guy, but he has a good track record with TEs and I'll be interested to see if he can utilize double sets.

Fair enough. Like I've said all along, it's not Bowers I dislike, it's the staff and their strategy. 

If they fail and get fired, I'm glad they'll be leaving him with us. Or they can succeed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Fair enough. Like I've said all along, it's not Bowers I dislike, it's the staff and their strategy. 

If they fail and get fired, I'm glad they'll be leaving him with us. Or they can succeed. 

With you on that. Happy to have Bowers whether they fail or not.

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If he has less than 30 receptions on the year he is an afterthought considering he was a 2nd round pick last year and "BPA' according to most homer fans....  Also who is going to throw the ball to all of these guys.  None of the QBs on the roster are high volume throwers and we have a lot of mouths to feed.  That is why I am saying this was a luxury pick.  Bowers is a heck of a TE prospect but he will need to produce elite numbers to pose good value considering the multiple other holes we have on the roster and other players we need to keep happy by getting them the ball.

Both Bowers and Mayer are young players that may be with us 5, 7, 10 years. Why are you so concerned with who’s throwing the ball this year? We may have a below avg QB this year but next season we might have a new QB, a top prospect rookie, and then they could come into their own.

I think we have to start looking more long term than just what happens this season…….

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jmckinney559 said:

I dont get all this “who is gonna throw them the ball” talk. People are acting like the QBs we have now will be our QBs for the next 10 years.  

They got a guy who has the potential to be elite for the next 10-12 years. If we didnt draft him we could have very likely been looking back at this draft saying… why the ef did we pass on Bowers. Kinda like we did when we drafted JaMarcus Russell over Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson. We are playing the long game here… which is what you do with your 1st round pick. 

Sorry, I just posted virtually the same without seeing this. Totally agree, great point!

• Like 1

Honestly looking at this more like a replacement for Renfrow. He’ll play the majority of his snaps out of the slots and make a living up the seam, leaning out, crossing routes, end around, and in the backfield. Him and Adams on the same side? Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Likely: T , G, CB, DT
Sneaky options: RB, WR, LB, S 

I think the team is high on Munford. Has flashed when he gets playing time. J Brooks could be BPA and can do it all as a RB. Zeus has had major injury concerns. TAE is getting old, already in his 30s. Meyers is good but cost a lot of money. He could be replaced with a rookie contract. Renfrow already cut . I could see Troy Franklin being a sneaky option or another burner WR. There’s a couple LBs with great value still on the board. Safety could also be a sneak add. Epps going be a free agent. We about to have Koonce, Moehrig, Spillane, Jones, Deablo, Epps all free agents in 2025. I could see one or two of those guys phased out by a rookie contract. 

Bro you named every position but QB, C, and DE. Lol. I mean you have like a 70% chance of getting it right.

Anyway, I agree with your thoughts on Munford.