๐Ÿˆ Pick #13 is in! Raiders select TE, Brock Bowers, Georgia

49 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

People went into justification right away (well, like an hour) saying he'd be a good guard and started getting all hyped... like 80% of the forum.ย 

25 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Defending and justifying are different. We did need a OT. We just picked a really, really bad one. But I donโ€™t remember people saying he was a good pick. I specifically remember people predicting we would reach for an OT and draft him but thatโ€™s just because Mayock and Gruden loved wasting first round picks.

These statements sum it up though, and really encapsulate what was so nauseating about it.ย 

It wasn't that anyone had the balls to outright say it was a great pick. The intestinal fortitude of the fanbase wasn't strong enough to own that.ย 

But my God, if you criticized the pick, you were read the riot act.

That's basically the cowards way of making sure you can't actually be called out for a bad take. Don't actively defend it, just do what everyone here does and try and jump on anyone with the balls to criticize. Then when it blows up, you can play the "Well, I just said give it time" excuse.ย 

And there was a ton of that going on.ย 

Edited by ronjon1990

5 hours ago, FloydFan said:

ย Arnette was just so egregious to me. I understand the urge to defend it but looking back even that urge for me was naive.ย 

My exact words before then was "Jaylon Johnson that is all". So imagine how I felt when they announced Arnette. I didn't watch anymore draft.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

My exact words before then was "Jaylon Johnson that is all". So imagine how I felt when they announced Arnette. I didn't watch anymore draft.

I literally walked into my backyard and just turned on music and lit a cigar after that lol.ย 

• Like 1

My biggest WTF draft moment had to be DHB.ย  That dude had no business going anywhere close to round 1 and when we made the pick I knew it would be years of disastrous picks and a roster littered with overpaid, below average talent.

The other was Sebass in the 1st.ย  That is what happens when you go "BPA" without regard for positional value lol

ย 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I was on the AJ Terrell train for months and thought he would have been there when we picked Arnette.ย  I feel Gurdock was in the same boat but had no backup plan in place then panicked. Looking back Terrell with our 1st pick and JJettas with pick #2 would have been epic.ย  One can dream...

15 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

A few unspecified posters will defend it to the hilt the same way they defend every pick we make, then go dead silent when it flops, then get loud again as soon as the next draft comes around lol

I think this goes both ways though, there's always ones who defend a pick to the hilt and ones who nothing will ever satisfy them. Overreactions and hyperbole are common hereย ๐Ÿ˜ย 

I think what happens as in life is that those at the extremes shout loudest, so we hear them the most..........

ย 

• Like 4

On 4/27/2024 at 7:23 AM, Frankie2Gunz said:

I was on the AJ Terrell train for months and thought he would have been there when we picked Arnette.ย  I feel Gurdock was in the same boat but had no backup plan in place then panicked. Looking back Terrell with our 1st pick and JJettas with pick #2 would have been epic.ย  One can dream...

That was literally my mock sprinkled in with hurts at qb

i keep telling myself that weโ€™re not gonna pick who I want in the first 2 rounds ever. But I still get disappointed every year ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

On 4/27/2024 at 7:51 AM, Darbsk said:

I think this goes both ways though, there's always ones who defend a pick to the hilt and ones who nothing will ever satisfy them. Overreactions and hyperbole are common hereย ๐Ÿ˜ย 

I think what happens as in life is that those at the extremes shout loudest, so we hear them the most..........

ย 

I respect the guys who state their position and donโ€™t flip flop right or wrong

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I respect the guys who state their position and donโ€™t flip flop right or wrong

Yeh, I can respect that too.

I also respect people who can put their egos aside and are not afraid to change their opinion if better or newer evidence is presented or comes along.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

Bowers reminds me a bit of Jonnu Smith. Both are athletic and good blockers for their size. But, both are compact and don't have great contested catch skills. Bowers can jump up and make some nice plays, but I don't see a lot of ball-winning on the ground. I saw more drops and double-clutch catches than I would have liked for such a highly touted prospect.

Edited by Rich7sena

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I can respect that too.

I also respect people who can put their egos aside and are not afraid to change their opinion if better or newer evidence is presented or comes along.

Obviously eating crow is A great gesture which Iโ€™ve done proudly a few times lol. But Meh some guys dig the hole way too deep and deserve to stay in there also lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Bowers reminds me a bit of Jonnu Smith. Both are athletic and good blockers for their size. But, both are compact and don't have great contested catch skills. Bowers can jump up and make some nice plays, but I don't see a lot of ball-winning on the ground.

I just hope heโ€™s not a glorified taysum hill. Really interested on how he is going to be used

On 4/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, big_palooka said:

He's an a$$ kicker. Draft those guys and let them kick a$$. It's really that simple.ย 

This fanbase does not deserve nice thing. Last 2 regimes pissed away draft picks on reaching for need. This regime sticks to the board, gets a top 5 talent at 13 and everyone is unhappy. You can't win.ย 

I would have loved a trade up for McCarthy, he was my guy but never saw it happening. Telesco likes seasoned QBs. Bowers reminds me of the Chargers picking Derwin James in 2018. Wasn't a need for them, simply took the best player that fell to them and reaped the rewards of it. That's Telesco. And it's refreshing after the last 3 iterations of nonsense in the FO.ย 

ย 

ย 

I actually think the way he was used at UGA was a little disappointing. A lot of "athlete" here with end arounds/screens/quick stuff. He actually showed some nice nuance in routes but they didn't run him down the field very much.ย