1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

42 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I love the pick....

To be clear I wasnt questioning your feelings of the pick of Turner, rather the issue you brought up about the Vikings run defense issues which I absolutely believe is a problem or at least something to have some concerns about anyway. I'd simply say that I think the Vikings defensively speaking had 3 major needs of IDL, EDGE and CB (perhaps even in that order). I liked Byron Murphy but I'm not sure if he's the kind of fit Flores wants for his scheme and I'm also not sure if he is the positional value Kwesi has ranked highly. I'm making assumptions based on Kwesi being an analytical/economics guy, but I assume he puts a lot of value into certain positions relative to cap hit, which leads to me assuming that Turner just checked the boxes of everything they were hoping for in this draft for a defensive selection.

If Turner becomes a consistent pass rushing threat with high pressure/hurry/sack numbers, this will be one of the better draft steals (as much as a 17th pick can be a "steal"), particularly considering the need the Vikings had and unlikelihood of Turner being within reach to draft.

Really hoping this is one of those picks we can look back on and go "Holy cr@p how did we ever get so lucky to walk away with Turner at 17?!?!"

• Like 5

O'Connell: "Dallas was one of the select few players we identified, and quite honestly did not think would even be remotely in play where we had him graded. Maybe more importantly than that where we think he can go. I think he has a ton of upside in Brian Flores' defense to, number one, go get the quarterback and be a force on that edge, but he is very dynamic. Size, speed, length - all the things you hopefully look for when you're trying to project an impact defensive player for a really long time. We just felt that in that moment, knowing kind of what was going to transpire in the next few picks, we saw an opportunity to go get what's going to be a big time impact player for us, and I really compliment Kwesi for going and getting it done."

vikings.com

• Like 2

Undeniable that the package we sent to trade up is slightly too rich. A small trade down with our 2025 first will be more than enough to restock our draft capital.

Landing arguably the drafts best defensive player is worth it imo

21 year old edge rushers with 34 inch arms, 40 inch verts and 4.4 speed don't grow in trees.

Coach flo and our DBs must be very happy

Edited by viking
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, viking said:

Well coached & verstile

I think he's gonna fit in with an incredible defensive coach who loves versatile players....

and he's going to have something to prove to the NFL about where he was drafted, and that he wasn't the first defensive player chosen.

15 minutes ago, viking said:

21 year old edge rushers with 34 inch arms, 40 inch verts and 4.4 speed don't grow in trees.

Turner, 21, was highly regarded as one of the best edge rushers in this year’s draft. He was a consensus All-American at Alabama in 2023, registering 11.0 sacks with 15.5 tackles for loss.

He was a first-team All-SEC selection after leading the conference in sacks. He also led the Crimson Tide in tackles for loss.

Overall, Turner played 42 games with 27 starts in three seasons at Alabama. He finished his career with 23.5 sacks with 33.5 tackles for loss.

PFT

Turner: "It was definitely a surreal moment, seeing the area code and where the phone call was coming from. Thanks to those dudes and to the Wilf family for taking a chance on me and picking me up at 17. They said make sure I'm ready to rush the passer when I get off the plane, so I guess that's very key with how they're going to use me."

Turner, who grew up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, gained familiarity with Flores' defenses when he was head coach of the Dolphins:

"I liked what I saw, especially from the pass rushers with Bradley Chubb, Jaelan Phillips and [Andrew] Van Ginkel," Turner said. "It was a very good thing to watch Coach Flores coach those dudes."

Now he'll team with Van Ginkel, as well as outside linebacker Jonathan Greenard, who were signed during free agency in an offseason in which Danielle Hunter departed for Houston. During his podium session at the NFL Scouting Combine, Turner listed Hunter as a player he's tried to mold his game from.

https://www.vikings.com/news/dallas-turner-appreciates-surreal-moment-after-top-30-visit

• Like 1

What a great pickup. Even if they gave up a lot of draft capital, they basically drafted a top 10 player at 17. So I view it as a trade up for an earlyy first and that is definitely a steal.

Kwesi learned from his first draft: Rather than trading down and having more shots, it's better to trade up and draft what you identified as safe picks.

• Like 2

I never mocked Turner to Minny, partly because I didn’t think the value was there at #11, and thought he’d be gone by #23.

I was not sure Bryron would get to #23 either and  understood DT was an area of need. In the end, I was less high on the Edges in the draft compared to past years.  I didn’t want CB, because I didn’t see the positional value. 

i personally was very high on Chop comparability thinking he was a realistic option at #23. I am happy they drafted DL/trenches, and hope Turner does well. If I remember correctly, I felt Turners game play showed a tendency to want to go around the OL alot & commit to that early, which could open up holes early. It worked a bit in college, but I preferred Edges that engaged with head up, and not lose contain as much, to be more strong in the run game as well. 

10 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

No idea how they stop the run.....

T'Vondre Sweat.  The Vikings made it a priority to keep pick 108 which is right around where I believe he'll go.  That was key