How do you scheme against the Chiefs offense this year?

USADave

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

mike vrabel for all his faults did a pretty consistently good job coaching defense against the chiefs, and it was basically just this. next to no blitzing, light boxes, play coverage all day and keep absolutely everything in front of you. throw in some post-snap coverage rotations and see if you can force a bad decision. tennessee at its peak under vrabel was also well-positioned to take advantage of some holes in the chiefs OL at the time with a strong defensive front that could pressure without blitzing and stop the run while playing 2 high, so that was a pretty important factor as well.

i still remember that game where we almost beat y'all with malik willis lmao. and mahomes threw for like 400 yards! but it was on a crazy number of attempts and only 17 or 20 points or something. that's the model....and it still didn't quite work, because he did what he does at the end of the game.

I hated playing you guys. Titans always embarrassed the Chiefs in the regular season.Mike got that secret sauce, and would give Mahomes fits.its a solid strategy if you got the offense to really clamp things down.

15 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I hated playing you guys. Titans always embarrassed the Chiefs in the regular season.Mike got that secret sauce, and would give Mahomes fits.its a solid strategy if you got the offense to really clamp things down.

the issue, of course, is that's how vrabel tried to play *everyone* lol. we didn't really have another way of winning games; it just happened to work pretty well against that iteration of KC. i think it's interesting to think about how a matchup last year would've gone- with KC fielding a legitimately top-tier defense and mahomes playing better game-manager ball than ever. i think they would've handled us more easily than some years prior even though the offense wasn't the juggernaut it had been.

I heard that 2022 was the year to get the Chiefs. Hill was traded and the defense was starting a bunch of rookies and had a 2nd year Captain.

I heard that 2023 was the year to get the Chiefs. The offense had problems gelling, the WR room was weak, and the OL was a mess.

Is 2023 the year to get the Chiefs? No one has won three straight since the merger--over 50 years--the defense lost a significant pass rusher (Chorles Omenihu) and its best player (L'Jarius Sneed), and ST lost a Pro Bowl punter.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I love how people think just because they drafted another MVS means it's gonna be hard to suddenly scheme against them

MVS went to Jacksonville what are you talking about?

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

they drafted another MVS

Hey MVS is a lot bigger than Worthy, so it was harder to press him.  If they wanted another MVS, they could have gotten Brian Thomas Jr.

But genuinely, I really doubt Worthy is going to stay healthy for 17 games plus the playoffs with any regularity.  This is the problem with 165 lb WRs- they're going to get hit by people who outweigh them considerably.  Like Worthy is the same weight as Tank Dell, but less dense since he's 3" taller.  On the football field (particularly on grass) the difference between 4.21 speed and 4.35 speed really isn't that significant.

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

MVS went to Jacksonville what are you talking about?

I'm saying the guy you drafted is a straight-line runner who can't catch.

4 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Hey MVS is a lot bigger than Worthy, so it was harder to press him.  If they wanted another MVS, they could have gotten Brian Thomas Jr.

But genuinely, I really doubt Worthy is going to stay healthy for 17 games plus the playoffs with any regularity.  This is the problem with 165 lb WRs- they're going to get hit by people who outweigh them considerably.  Like Worthy is the same weight as Tank Dell, but less dense since he's 3" taller.  On the football field (particularly on grass) the difference between 4.21 speed and 4.35 speed really isn't that significant.

To be fair, I don't think Worthy is going to be good.

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm saying the guy you drafted is a straight-line runner who can't catch.

To be fair, I don't think Worthy is going to be good.

His drop rate is better than Davante Adams, Puka Nacua, Mike Evans, etc.

Unlike MVS when Worthy gets open he catches and tracks it really well. He doesn’t fight and flop around like MVS lol

This is the real question.

Last season, the Chiefs were not that good on offense. They had no WR1 and no WR2. Drops were a problem. OL penalties were a problem. By week 14 they had sorted it out. Rookie Rashee Rice was WR1. MVS stepped down to WR2 and stopped dropping passes. Justin Watson took over as WR3.

MVS is gone, but Rashee Rice is back. Marquis "Hollywood" Brown is on board for WR2. Watson is back. Kasarius Toney is back. Rookie Xavier Worth and Justyn Ross are around. Color WR as more experienced and much faster. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Break Mahomes’ leg?

nah, I say what Jakuvious said on page 1. It’s not rocket science, it’s just hard to keep executing 

I mean he’s already won a SB with one working leg so that’s not gonna work😎

• Like 1