How do you scheme against the Chiefs offense this year?

USADave

2 hours ago, Danger said:

If you have a decent secondary, it's not that hard. Sure you have to leave that safety back there the entire game, but neither Hollywood nor Worthy scare me besides their deep threat potential. Leaving the safety deep should be plenty to cover whichever one gets off the line a couple times a game.

Soko beat me to it, but single high is a much worse idea than press is. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Get an o-line coach in there to teach the DBs to block. Don't hold and as long as you keep them within 5 yards you can hit them as much as you like. lol

I think the risk reward just isn't there to be that aggressive. From time to time, sure. Like Sneed had some great reps jamming Tyreek. But he picked his spots where he knew the help was there or he didn't have to hold up for very long. Because the danger is, if you get them perfectly 8 times, but they blow by you on the 9th and 10th, that's overall still a win for the WR. You have to get it right basically every time, as a DB, so the risk ain't worth it in the long run.

Run the ball against there defense, chunk the clock, 18 play drives. Knock the rhythm off a little bit and then come out and play a disciplined cover 2. Make good tackles and make them play mistake free, clock is ticking type of football. If you get behind it’s next to impossible to come back but if you keep that offense off the field and then take away the big play, you’ve got probably the best shot. 

Basically you make us dink and dunk down the field. Long drives. Then the team has to be perfect and timely. No drops, no penalties, effective running of the football.

Somebody is gonna drop the ball or hold or false start or turnover the football. 

Risk is that Mahomes has won a MVP with this style of play. But it requires his team to be on point with him. Not easy to do when you’re signing new OL and WRs every year 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2024 at 11:48 AM, mse326 said:

Get an o-line coach in there to teach the DBs to block. Don't hold and as long as you keep them within 5 yards you can hit them as much as you like. lol

Do the Seattle Cover 3 - grab em. They can't call defensive holding EVERY play.

10 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Basically you make us dink and dunk down the field. Long drives. Then the team has to be perfect and timely. No drops, no penalties, effective running of the football.

Somebody is gonna drop the ball or hold or false start or turnover the football. 

Risk is that Mahomes has won a MVP with this style of play. But it requires his team to be on point with him. Not easy to do when you’re signing new OL and WRs every year 

mike vrabel for all his faults did a pretty consistently good job coaching defense against the chiefs, and it was basically just this. next to no blitzing, light boxes, play coverage all day and keep absolutely everything in front of you. throw in some post-snap coverage rotations and see if you can force a bad decision. tennessee at its peak under vrabel was also well-positioned to take advantage of some holes in the chiefs OL at the time with a strong defensive front that could pressure without blitzing and stop the run while playing 2 high, so that was a pretty important factor as well.

i still remember that game where we almost beat y'all with malik willis lmao. and mahomes threw for like 400 yards! but it was on a crazy number of attempts and only 17 or 20 points or something. that's the model....and it still didn't quite work, because he did what he does at the end of the game.

Edited by -Hope-

On 4/26/2024 at 8:19 AM, USADave said:

Imagine having to scheme against a 4.21 40, hall of fame TE, the guy with the second most routes over 20 mph, Rice across the middle and Pacheo running angry all game….and if it all breaks down Mahomes waddling up the sideline for 15 yards.

They had 4 of those 6 players on the team last year and up until the postseason, had one of the most average-performing offenses in the NFL.

Not to say they won't be better this regular season.  They should be, but I don't know if adding Worthy and Brown is enough for me to wonder how in the heck defenses will manage to scheme against them.  Well, we'll see about Worthy.  I'm not good at predicting how these speed demons will do in the NFL.

Edited by iknowcool