Titans draft DT Tvondre Sweat At 38

3 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

No they don't. Its literally just Simmons, Day and some scrubs.  

Dline was one of the biggest holes on the team.

The Titans don't play in a 7 on 7 league. 

You can't tackle in the NFL anymore

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the guy i wanted wouldn't be a guy with those issues lol. that's my whole problem here. pacman and VY gave me enough legal + team chemistry mess for a lifetime, team doesn't need more of that.

The best player on our defense entered the league with character concerns. Were you upset about Simmons or is that situation somehow different.

He's a 22. And he's coming to a team with an established dline coach and a playing next to a guy who should help lead him right. Its no different than when Philly used the presence of Fletcher Cox to to draft Jordan Davis.

The Titans front office likely see Sweat as a Vita Vea type and we all saw how Vita Vea almost single handedly killed Will Levis last season.

23 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

Titans have had great DL specifically interior DL play with very little draft capital. Why spend a 2nd rd pick on one now?

What are you talking about we have nothing at interior DL asides from Simmons 

• Like 1

Just now, TitanRedd said:

What are you talking about we have nothing at interior DL asides from Simmons 

I think he means in our history we've always gotten good DL late(r) in the draft. Jurrell Casey was a 3rd rounder for example.

To me, all I see in this dude is another Teair Tart with more character issues.

5 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

The best player on our defense entered the league with character concerns. Were you upset about Simmons or is that situation somehow different.

He's a 22. And he's coming to a team with an established dline coach and a playing next to a guy who should help lead him right. Its no different than when Philly used the presence of Fletcher Cox to to draft Jordan Davis.

The Titans front office likely see Sweat as a Vita Vea type and we all saw how Vita Vea almost single handedly killed Will Levis last season.

i mean yeah i was somewhat tentative about simmons but his situation is in fact obviously different because his incident happened in high school and he was squeaky clean for three years of college with rave reviews from everyone around him. meanwhile we drafted a guy who already had a reputation for partying and then got a DUI 2 weeks ago during the most important time of his life. are you trying to tell me that's *not* different?

Its also important to realize that our DC's background is Baltimore and Philly 

Baltimore's defense is built around 6'0 355lb NT Michael Pierce and was built around 340lb Brandon Williams before that. There's a reason Roquan Smith took off after being traded there.

The Eagles clearly prioritized Jordan Davis a few years back when Wilson was there.

He's seen the value of having a space eater like that in your defense.  

This pick makes WAY more sense than people want to realize. NT is a valuable piece in a Dennard Wilson defense. 

I think I have an idea of Ran’s draft strategy. He values high floor guys and clearly is a run game guy.

That’s clearly not all of it, but I think it’s a pretty common thread with Skoronski, Latham, and Sweat.

I think he also is zigging where the league is zagging on positional value. Skor was a guard drafted 11th overall, they took Spears in the third with bigger needs, signed another big money RB this season, and now drafted a traditional right tackle seventh overall and a nose tackle 38th.

Just a theory.

Edited by Daniel

14 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean yeah i was somewhat tentative about simmons but his situation is in fact obviously different because his incident happened in high school and he was squeaky clean for three years of college with rave reviews from everyone around him. meanwhile we drafted a guy who already had a reputation for partying and then got a DUI 2 weeks ago during the most important time of his life. are you trying to tell me that's *not* different?

Look it comes with risk. I get that, and I won;t continue to underrate it.  My point is I understand WHY they did it. You can argue character, but to me its easy to see why they found value in the player and what he could add to this defense. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think I have an idea of Ran’s draft strategy. He values high floor guys and clearly is a run game guy.

That’s clearly not all of it, but I think it’s a pretty common thread with Skoronski, Latham, and Sweat.

I think he also is zigging where the league is zagging on positional value. Skor was a guard drafted 11th overall, they took Spears in the third with bigger needs, signed another big money RB this season, and now drafted a traditional right tackle seventh overall and a nose tackle 38th.

Just a theory.

This sounds exactly like the JRob era of focusing on big guys who "play hard" 

No value for the positions that matter, let's get that blocking WR in the 7th round who plays special teams but runs a 5+ 40

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Look it comes with risk. I get that, and I won;t continue to underrate it.  My point is I understand WHY they did it. You can argue character, but to me its easy to see why they found value in the player and what he could add to this defense. 

I don’t think Sweat was worth the 38th overall pick before he got a DUI.

He’s a nose tackle who looks like he had weight issues, looks like he won’t be able to stay on the field, and was helped by having the class’s best DT lined up next to him. That’s not a borderline first round player even if you don’t factor in off the field.

Not comparable to Simmons because Simmons was a way, way better prospect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

This sounds exactly like the JRob era of focusing on big guys who "play hard" 

No value for the positions that matter, let's get that blocking WR in the 7th round who plays special teams but runs a 5+ 40

Sweat is big agile an athletic capable of playing 3 downs he’s not just some slow space eater. I didn’t like the pick but I get it, he’s going to help us get the most out the best player on our defense, he has to be doubled, & he’s going to free up a LB we committed 18 mill to for him to play how they envision him playing. We’re rebuilding trust the process 

Just now, TitanRedd said:

Sweat is big agile an athletic capable of playing 3 downs he’s not just some slow space eater. I didn’t like the pick but I get it, he’s going to help us get the most out the best player on our defense, he has to be doubled, & he’s going to free up a LB we committed 18 mill to for him to play how they envision him playing. We’re rebuilding trust the process 

Rebuilding offense should be the process, but yeah let's reach for a guy to stop the run in a league where only one team runs the ball.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don’t think Sweat was worth the 38th overall pick before he got a DUI.

He’s a nose tackle who looks like he had weight issues, looks like he won’t be able to stay on the field, and was helped by having the class’s best DT lined up next to him. That’s not a borderline first round player even if you don’t factor in off the field.

Not comparable to Simmons because Simmons was a way, way better prospect.

No you actually got it wrong he helped Murphy he was doubled more than Murphy he helped freed up Murphy he’s a space eater