Titans draft DT Tvondre Sweat At 38

Anyone who knows Titans twitter, Mike Herndon and Justin Graver are both Texas football fans. Both speak extremely highly of the Sweat and the impact he has had on their DL and overall defense fwiw. Maybe they're being homers but I think both would call out Sweat if they weren't fans of his.

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm trying to find these numbers, because Tyler Rowland said he only played 35 a game, which seemed low.

PFF has Sweat at 503 defensive snaps this past year, 464 in 2022. For comparisons, they have his teammate Byron Murphy at 438 snaps this past season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm trying to find these numbers, because Tyler Rowland said he only played 35 a game, which seemed low.

pff has him at 503 snaps over 14 games, which is indeed 35/game, but i don’t know that that’s especially low compared to his peers. byron murphy played 438, also over 14 games. for comparison, braden fiske played 444 in 13 games, ruke orhorhorho played 409 over 12. the big outlier is johnny newton who played 749 over 12 games

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Tyler just upset because he don’t like the pick & going off being a prick. He’s been taking slick shot after shot at the Sweat. Talking about his character, & so on how he’s a party animal & can’t be trusted. Man the kid got a DWI, someone was speeding ran into the back of his car, police came to the scene gave him an alcohol test & he was barely over the limit. 

14 hours ago, Kookie23 said:

I think he means in our history we've always gotten good DL late(r) in the draft. Jurrell Casey was a 3rd rounder for example.

To me, all I see in this dude is another Teair Tart with more character issues.

Yes that's what I mean. Sorry y'all if that was confusing. I agree with the tart shout out. Different body types but same role they would serve on this team.

8 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

Yes that's what I mean. Sorry y'all if that was confusing. I agree with the tart shout out. Different body types but same role they would serve on this team.

Different player different system. Tart wasn’t used as a 3 down DL. Sweat will be. Tart couldn’t reset the OL at the point of attack. & tart wasn’t as hard to move as sweat. It’s not even close, preconceived notion based on he’s a 360lb NT, that nobody see the value in drafting a NT. 

21 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

pff has him at 503 snaps over 14 games, which is indeed 35/game, but i don’t know that that’s especially low compared to his peers. byron murphy played 438, also over 14 games. for comparison, braden fiske played 444 in 13 games, ruke orhorhorho played 409 over 12. the big outlier is johnny newton who played 749 over 12 games

Texas’s scheme relied on swapping guys out a lot. In a vacuum, his snap count wouldn’t turn me off completely, but at the combine, dude looked like he was completely gassed by the last few drills.

That was when I started thinking he’s only a two down player.

And then there was the whole not weighing in at the Senior Bowl. No way he wasn’t even heavier there.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Texas’s scheme relied on swapping guys out a lot. In a vacuum, his snap count wouldn’t turn me off completely, but at the combine, dude looked like he was completely gassed by the last few drills.

That was when I started thinking he’s only a two down player.

And then there was the whole not weighing in at the Senior Bowl. No way he wasn’t even heavier there.

Ok see this is a fatigue issue not a 2 down player. A 2 down player means he’s only serviceable for run downs, he offers nothing on passing downs. Like you have 2 down LB’s for guys who can’t cover in the passing game or 2 down RB’s for guys that can’t pass protect nor is a threat in the passing game. He can rush the passer, & effect the passing game as a inside rusher 

There’s more than one reason you can be a limited down player. I don’t think Sweat offers nothing as a pass rusher.

I think he will offer a lot less than he did in college, where he was just so much bigger and more powerful than the OLs he was against that he could plow through them and get to QBs. The dropoff in his ability to straight up overpower guys will be severe.

Worse, I think about all he can do to NFL QBs is pressure them. He’s too slow to catch any QB that scrambles from the pocket if they run from him. That’s not worth nothing, but it isn’t worth that much when he can get through the OL, have a straight line to the QB, and the QB just trots over a few yards and throws the ball anyway.

But for me, the fatigue issue as you called it is more worrying than that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There’s more than one reason you can be a limited down player. I don’t think Sweat offers nothing as a pass rusher.

I think he will offer a lot less than he did in college, where he was just so much bigger and more powerful than the OLs he was against that he could plow through them and get to QBs. The dropoff in his ability to straight up overpower guys will be severe.

Worse, I think about all he can do to NFL QBs is pressure them. He’s too slow to catch any QB that scrambles from the pocket if they run from him. That’s not worth nothing, but it isn’t worth that much when he can get through the OL, have a straight line to the QB, and the QB just trots over a few yards and throws the ball anyway.

this isn’t actually how he won as a pass rusher in college though. one of the most interesting things about him is that he displayed hand usage and an array of pass rush moves that are not typical of a guy his size.

it’s not a mystery to me why the coaching staff thinks he can be a 3-down player based on what he showed last year. i just think the conditioning and character issues are concerning enough that i would’ve passed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Gotcha, you not a believer understood, you have your reasons to feel how you do. anyone else speak now or forever hold your peace. So we can move on as a fan base 

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this isn’t actually how he won as a pass rusher in college though. one of the most interesting things about him is that he displayed hand usage and an array of pass rush moves that are not typical of a guy his size.

it’s not a mystery to me why the coaching staff thinks he can be a 3-down player based on what he showed last year. i just think the conditioning and character issues are concerning enough that i would’ve passed.

All they have to do is look at the film, & they refuse to its clear as day, how he get off blocks, I’ve seen swim move, bull rush, him winning wit his hands. They want him to be an avg Player that offers nothing but stopping the run. 

I do think, outside of character issues, Sweat has a high floor on the field. He will be a run stuffer and pocket collapser who can at least pressure QBs.

But I think his ceiling is like Teair Tart. And there are DLs still on the board that I think offer more upside than that. Throw in the fact we could have traded down? Not a pick I like.