Titans draft DT Tvondre Sweat At 38

Back to Sweat. He’ll never be a big sacks guy but what level do you feel he has to be at to be worth the pick? Just a longterm starter or does he have to be a pro bowl/All Pro level guy, especially as a NT.

It’s just strange to me that anyone can watch football. Specifically playoff football, and not understand the importance of having strong offensive and defensive lines.

I’m convinced some fans get mad because the titans don’t routinely have a bunch of great fantasy players on their squad.

Like winning is only special if they talk about us on ESPN… and my fantasy team balls out…. with my favorite titans wr… whose jersey I wear all Sunday because WRs is the only position that ever mattered in this league. Did we win? Who cares. that’s not important. Did you see Rome odunze’s highlights? He got me 23 points. They’re talking about it on Pat McAfee!

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

Back to Sweat. He’ll never be a big sacks guy but what level do you feel he has to be at to be worth the pick? Just a longterm starter or does he have to be a pro bowl/All Pro level guy, especially as a NT.

You want him to at least be what Michael pierce is in Baltimore. He a big reason that defense is so fierce.

At best vita vea. 

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

If you’re an early second rounder, you need to play at a high level. If you don’t contribute to the pass rush, then you need to command double teams and eat multiple gaps.

If he can play three downs and be more of a DT that happens to be big and playing in the middle than he is a pure nose tackle, then he’s worth the pick.

He needs to be playing at like Teair Tart’s 2022 level to be worth it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

A good, long term starter. That is always my goal in the second. Anything more than that is a huge bonus.

I'm not a big fan of this pick, but I do find it really interesting that with our first two picks we've taken two guys with rare physical traits that no one else at their position group has. They basically drafted two guys that are 1 of 1 at their respective positions. There isn't another DLinemen in this class that's A. as big as Sweat or B. as good of a mover at that size as he is. There just aren't many guys if any that can move like Sweat does at 366 lbs. We basically just drafted two freaks of nature with our first two picks which makes it an intriguing class to watch grow. If Sweat stays dialed in and out of trouble off the field him and Big Jeff in the middle is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Good luck running on us.

Edited by SerenityNow
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I'm not a big fan of this pick, but I do find it really interesting that with our first two picks we've taken two guys with rare physical traits that no one else at their position group has. They basically drafted two guys that are 1 of 1 at their respective positions. There isn't another DLinemen in this class that's A. as big as Sweat or B. as good of a mover at that size as he is. There just aren't many guys if any that can move like Sweat does at 366 lbs. We basically just drafted two freaks of nature with our first two picks which makes it an intriguing class to watch grow. If Sweat stays dialed in and out of trouble off the field him and Big Jeff in the middle is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Good luck running on us.

Man Jeff bout to finally get double digit sacks 

I think the biggest indictment on Ran and the staff on the Sweat pick will be if he doesn't produce because of off the field/conditioning issues. "Great guys" with all of the measurables and talent miss all the time and it sucks. But to miss on a guy that has know off the field issues/conditioning issues on a low round guys id a killer!!

Not saying he will by any means, I trust the staff until I have a reason not to. We will have a plan for him and give him every chance to be a great pro. 

Thing is, at Texas, and I could be wrong, of course, mostly going off the games I've watched and memory, if anyone has seen any numbers would like to see it as well, Byron Murphy played a lot of snaps at NT and commended the double teams. I'd even say Murphy played there the majority of the snaps, but wouldn't want my memory playing tricks on me. 

With that said, Sweat faced very few double teams and still it's not like he lit up the tape. Sure, he's almost unmovable, but ask him to be so against NFL OL and way more double teams than he's been used to, and I don't like those odds very much.

He's not Vita Vea, he is not Dexter Lawrence. Those guys were massive and posted elite athletic scores. Sweat's is pretty terrible. Yes, he moves fluidly for a guy his size, but he's not an athlete. The high-end NFL comps to his play style are all elite athletes.

He's a two-down player, and in my honest opinion not as solid as some may make him to be. If you play him on 3rd down (unless it's a goal line situation or 3rd & 1), you basically are -1 rusher every time. Pair that with questionable character and red flags, and I really can't get around liking the pick as much as I'd like to. I've slept on it, I could see the angle where you need a big body in the middle to free up 'backers and allow them to play fast, but it's just a terrible value pick to me, and a rare wasted opportunity of landing a 1st round talent with a 2nd round pick (DeJean, McKinstry, a couple of LBs, iOL, to name a few). 

That being said, wish him well and a successful career!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

I think the biggest indictment on Ran and the staff on the Sweat pick will be if he doesn't produce because of off the field/conditioning issues. "Great guys" with all of the measurables and talent miss all the time and it sucks. But to miss on a guy that has know off the field issues/conditioning issues on a low round guys id a killer!!

Not saying he will by any means, I trust the staff until I have a reason not to. We will have a plan for him and give him every chance to be a great pro. 

The off field stuff is overblown to me, the kid is 22 living in Austin, Texas as a star football player. Who’s not partying? Do y’all really think it’s rare for football players to drink and party? Yes it can be an issue, and yes I remember what happened with Isiah Wilson. The DWI arrest sucks, but even the details of that need to be examined. Sweat got rear ended by a speeding car and when police arrived they tested everyone for alcohol. He was a little over the limit. Look this could be an issue, it is a red flag, but the pearl clutching over the matter is a bit much to me.

the conditioning stuff is lazy analysis to me. They see his size and assume he must be lazy and have conditioning issues. In reality he played one of the highest snap counts for the longhorns last year. Played over 500 snaps last year, over 1800 for his career. So for poor conditioning, he sure was on the field a lot. He does need to lose weight, but this thought that he’s some sloppy, lazy player, poorly conditioned player doesn’t really track. The dude won the Outland trophy despite playing next to a 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

I agree about his age...was going to put it in my earlier post. I mean he is being called a "party animal", well for christ sake he is a star football player at one of the most football crazy schools in the country. I was going to say he is turning pro, that means football is now his only job...so let's wait to see how professional he becomes. Like I said I have faith we have a plan to ensure he plays at the weight we want him to. 

The issue is, if he has trouble with his weight or gets into trouble off the field...people will always say there were know issues. 

He led the DL in snaps played last season, he faced double teams a lot & kept the LB’s clean & made defenses pick their poison on who to double between him & Murphy. He’s not a 2 down Lineman at all that’s a false narrative. He can rush the passer, no he isn’t great, but he can collapse the pocket, create pressure & create a ton of TFL. Get over it he’s a titan. You can’t win games being soft in the trenches getting pushed around. We literally have nothing besides Jeff on the interior, & he’s going to help Jeff tremendously. We’re in a rebuild sorry we’re not going to fix all J Rob f%ck ups in 1 offseason.