2024 Day 3 NFL Draft Thread

CWood21

This might be my all time favorite draft class. In the back half I wasn't familiar with many of the guys but at each pick I can see what they might like about them. The team definitely just got better in a meaningful way. 

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

This might be my all time favorite draft class. In the back half I wasn't familiar with many of the guys but at each pick I can see what they might like about them. The team definitely just got better in a meaningful way. 

Safety and LB got a boost.  OL got some depth pieces.   Those were the 3 areas of need and GB went after them aggressively 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Idk last year's class was one for the books. Van Ness who I'm still very high on, reed, Musgrave, Kraft, brooks, wicks, valentine. Really can't get better than that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

How many CBs do you want on your 53 man roster?  Since we had 5 roster locks before the draft.

I count 3 unless you can guarantee me that Eric Stokes stays healthy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I count 3 unless you can guarantee me that Eric Stokes stays healthy.

I can't guarantee any player stays healthy, but most of the injuries are going to occur during the season and not before the season.  So why wouldn't you be confident Stokes will have a roster spot if he is ready to go for week 1?

Like there's no player on the roster currently who you would give a roster spot in case they get a leg amputated in the offseason, but that doesn't seem like a relevant hypothetical when discussing roster building.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

45 minutes ago, A2j1m said:

Idk last year's class was one for the books. Van Ness who I'm still very high on, reed, Musgrave, Kraft, brooks, wicks, valentine. Really can't get better than that

And this one has really built on that and a few picks like Cooper and Lloyd got me pretty hyped.

Now, gotta say though expectations are almost going through the roof for me on this season after that.  Mainly I feel like this defense just has to be a top 5 unit, I mean all that investment we've put there lately it's gotta be hitting pay dirt right about now.

Team gotta be going 12-5, assuming there's no injuries to derail that.

Edited by LLcheesehead12
  • Like 1

Gute will never divulge any of this stuff fully honestly, for personal and strategic reasons, but I would love to know how his process has changed from his year 1 as GM. To me, his last 2 drafts (and maybe the Quay/Wyatt draft to a lesser extent) just feel different than the ones that came before. And this isn’t the benefit of hindsight. I didn’t really like a single Gute draft in the moment until the 2021 one, and now I’ve loved every one since. And obviously the 2020 one is entirely redeemed and always hinged on Love turning out. 

Is he just getting more comfortable? Was he overthinking things before? Better intel? Better work from his scouts and lieutenants? Maybe nothing changed and it’s just me. But I would love to hear him really dig into the philosophy more than just his few generic media pressers a year. 

Edited by Isherwood
  • Like 2

Not the same quality of day 3 picks this year as 2022 and 2023, left those drafts feeling we had players in Zach Tom, Romeo Doubs, Kingsley Enagbare, Rasheed Walker, Dontayvion Wicks, Karl Brooks, Carrington Valentine, AJJ. Don't feel that strongly about a single pick after Lloyd this year, kind of a dud outside of our first 4 picks for me. King will be interesting to see if we can get to 2022 levels, Pratt will be a solid backup, Glover is entirely a redshirt/PS guy, Monk is OL7/8 ceiling, Williams and Hooper are ST leaders who will need injuries to ever play defense. Oladapo is really the only guy I think could play defensive snaps for us. 

That said, absolutely huge 2nd round, think with got 2nd and 3rd level cornerstones there. If Morgan is a top level OT this class is a resounding success.

Coming out of the draft I'd rank them: 2023, 2022, 2019, 2024, 2018, 2020, 2021.

Hopper, Monk, Williams, and Glover all feel like they were picked about 50-75 picks before what their draft rankings were. Tough to feel super stoked about those 4 picks without the green and gold glasses on. However, there is always IGWT I guess.

16 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Gute will never divulge any of this stuff fully honestly, for personal and strategic reasons, but I would love to know how his process has changed from his year 1 as GM. To me, his last 2 drafts (and maybe the Quay/Wyatt draft to a lesser extent) just feel different than the ones that came before. And this isn’t the benefit of hindsight. I didn’t really like a single Gute draft in the moment until the 2021 one, and now I’ve loved every one since. And obviously the 2020 one is entirely redeemed and always hinged on Love turning out. 

Is he just getting more comfortable? Was he overthinking things before? Better intel? Better work from his scouts and lieutenants? Maybe nothing changed and it’s just me. But I would love to hear him really dig into the philosophy more than just his few generic media pressers a year. 

Wonder how much the end of Rodgers career vs beginning of Love career might subconsciously influence devisions.

• Like 1

It is wild to think how much better this team ought to be compared to last year. Jones savage and campbell are the only losses. Arguably we upgraded all three of them. Everyone else is still young enough to be ascending in performance

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Wonder how much the end of Rodgers career vs beginning of Love career might subconsciously influence devisions.

2020 and 2021 were clearly Gute's worst drafts. Outside of Love a lot of meh. I'm just going to say that only a worldwide pandemic can slow down the GBP draft process.

• Like 2

Just now, Packerraymond said:

2020 and 2021 were clearly Gute's worst drafts. Outside of Love a lot of meh. I'm just going to say that only a worldwide pandemic can slow down the GBP draft process.

I hated 2019 in the moment, but that’s a me thing. I was anti-Gary (and apparently wrong about that) and I wasn’t a Savage fan at all either. 2 picks in the first round and not one I wanted just burned me.