2024 Draft: #129, RB Isaac Guerendo, Louisville

Forge

39 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't think IG is here to be the bellcow or the RB of the future.

I think he's here initially for his speed and ability on STs and maybe see if he could handle some of Juice's responsibilities in certain packages.

CMC, Mitchell & Taylor, Jr. will probably the three main backs.

IG is probably battling Mason as the STs RB who gets activated on gamedays.

Now that's something I didn't really think of in my statement.  If they are using him to take some of Juice's responsibilities and plays, that's very intriguing.  Imagine Juice but he runs a 4.3 40, yikes.  

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't think IG is here to be the bellcow or the RB of the future.

I think he's here initially for his speed and ability on STs and maybe see if he could handle some of Juice's responsibilities in certain packages.

IG is probably battling Mason as the STs RB who gets activated on gamedays.

"CMC, Mitchell & Taylor, Jr."

who is taylor and jr?

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Definitely here for the speed. I think we're looking for the old Breida/Mostert home run threat role and a backup who can be reliably available.

It's always hard to say how much playing time young guys on this team will get and for Guerendo it will depend on how quickly he can handle blitz pickup duties. But if Guerendo is behind Patrick Taylor this year, things went extraordinarily badly for Guerendo in camp. If Patrick Taylor makes the team, I am assuming Elijah Mitchell was traded somehow, there are injuries, or both. Taylor should just be practice squad/camp legs. 

This post is about both Guerendo and Taylor equally. I think Guerendo has too much talent and Patrick Taylor is just a guy.

• Like 4

Note: Guerendo also had the sub-7.00 3 cone that is the usual mark for wide receivers to meet for route running wiggle. Now, it wasn't CMC's 99.9th percentile 3 cone, but CMC is a unicorn.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Note: Guerendo also had the sub-7.00 3 cone that is the usual mark for wide receivers to meet for route running wiggle. Now, it wasn't CMC's 99.9th percentile 3 cone, but CMC is a unicorn.

If he can run routes he might be a fun FB prospect, but he just looks pretty linear at this point. 

I think we got him for special teams.  Run at the wall, get through wall, score TD. Red Rover Red Rover, let the new kick off rule come over.

I feel like Green, Mustapha, and Guerendo were drafted for to improve the special team's performance.  The new kickoff rule probably left the team needing dudes.  

TBH, if I were a front office, I woulda fazed out return units on the receiving end.  Just fair catch and move forward.  Take the touch back or get out of bounds around the 25.  The new rule puts kickoffs back in play.  I didn't watch the Kickoffs from the USFL much though.  I hope a video exists of just kickoffs strung together.  See what works and what doesn't.

Red Rover Red Rover, let the new kick off rule come over.

The second one is what the team imagines him doing.  

It's like a big, weird, zone blocking play.  We should actually be really good at this.  Get inside combo blocks, let the outermost guy come in, and gash through the wall up the middle.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

The more I watch Guerendo, the more I hate this pick. He is just not a good RB. He very rarely runs to the correct hole. He always seems to bounce to the outside and lose a yard or gain nothing rather than take the 2-3 yards that is blocked. That is not going to fly in the NFL. 

What bothers me the most is that his play recognition seems subpar. He just does not seem to be able to read blocks. 

Sure, he could maybe hit a big run on an outside zone as a change of pace back every so often, when the crease is very easily defined, but he seems to be a one trick pony. He is big, sure, but does he use his power? No. 

So, if we took him for STs solely, or if we plan to use him at FB (or TE?), then great, but if this is a guy we plan on using at RB, we are going to be very disappointed. I expect him to be RB4 (keeping mitchell forces us to keep 4 RBs, but they wont trade EM because he is by far and away the best RB on the team outside of CMC).

I think Matt Breida was a better inside runner, with better feet than Guerendo. Matt Breida is the baseline for competent in this offense imo, and IG is well below that. 

I really dont understand how Kyle can see a one dimensional guy run to the wrong hole over and over and go "thats the guy I want". Really confuses me. This guy sucks at playing RB! No RB skills to speak of other than he can run fast in a straight line. 

One more mid round bust at RB! I do not trust this regime to scout and draft RBs. They simply suck at it. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, N4L said:

The more I watch Guerendo, the more I hate this pick. He is just not a good RB. He very rarely runs to the correct hole. He always seems to bounce to the outside and lose a yard or gain nothing rather than take the 2-3 yards that is blocked. That is not going to fly in the NFL. 

What bothers me the most is that his play recognition seems subpar. He just does not seem to be able to read blocks. 

Sure, he could maybe hit a big run on an outside zone as a change of pace back every so often, when the crease is very easily defined, but he seems to be a one trick pony. He is big, sure, but does he use his power? No. 

So, if we took him for STs solely, or if we plan to use him at FB (or TE?), then great, but if this is a guy we plan on using at RB, we are going to be very disappointed. I expect him to be RB4 (keeping mitchell forces us to keep 4 RBs, but they wont trade EM because he is by far and away the best RB on the team outside of CMC).

I think Matt Breida was a better inside runner, with better feet than Guerendo. Matt Breida is the baseline for competent in this offense imo, and IG is well below that. 

I really dont understand how Kyle can see a one dimensional guy run to the wrong hole over and over and go "thats the guy I want". Really confuses me. This guy sucks at playing RB! No RB skills to speak of other than he can run fast in a straight line. 

One more mid round bust at RB! I do not trust this regime to scout and draft RBs. They simply suck at it. 

I totally agree man.  What sucks is there were other more natural, fluid RBs still on the board, like Rasheen Ali (Ravens ofc) or Tyrone Tracy.  Everyone raves about Guerendo's combine numbers, but none of it shows on tape.  He never seems to get more than the play gives him.  It takes a while for him to get going...he can't stop and start at all.  Bobby Turner gets allllll this credit and praise for being this great RB finder/recruiter but what has he done LATELY?  we've busted on Williams, Sermon, and TDP, pretty much consecutively.  You should be able to find really good RBs nowadays in the third/fourth rounds.  Sometimes the game passes a lot of these old dudes by.  I see a bust as well, and I'm totally mentally prepared for it.  Honestly, I wouldn't be that surprised if Schrader beats him out.  Also, how does a guy that big and strong go down so damn easily? it's ridiculous. 

Now if they got him to play FB, then we'll have to wait and see.  

I had them at like an B/B+ draft after the Mustapha pick (i know grades are useless).  Then it went downhill fast.  

Edited by WhyAmIHere

1 hour ago, N4L said:

The only real thing i can think of is trusting the blocking to be so clear and defined that a guy like him who has a ton of speed knows where that hole will be and make it easy for him. I have 6-7 guys i would have preferred over Guerendo some who went earlier and some who went later simply because i felt they where better at reading the hole and being able to get something if the play didn't work as intended or another hole appeared that was actually better. Its why i had Benson and Lloyd beneath guys like Wright and Davis and Guerendo to me is the same. Purely based on their athleticism they will be able to get yards but it will be more -1, -1, 50, 1, 2, -1 ,0 type than a 5, 6, 12, 18, 8 type runner.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Forge said:

mean, can't go worse than last time

Reminded me of Marcus Lattimore. 

On Guerendo, I think he's worth the small risk over some of the other guys available. As a pure running back the tape is lacking, but he is one of the best athletes at RB to enter the league in years. The SPORQ score is right in like with Saquon and LT.. fwiw AJ Dillon is also on that list 🤣

I know he is never going to come close to the likes of Saquon, but in this offense all he needs to do is hit the hole on that outside zone, make one guy miss, and he's gone. A huge plus for me is the return ability as well. He should be a threat with every return & will take those poundings instead of someone like Deebo.

Edited by adamq

6 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

All good, we got Cody Schrader.  

Swear! Every time we get a RB in the draft, the UDFA or later round guy outshines him. The fact that Kyle’s knows it, I think he’s trying to offset it.