Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

Definitely love the breakdowns so far, its good to see that Poles seems to be the competent GM the Bears have needed for a long time. McCaskeys stuck their nose into football instead of sticking to accounting and marketing and jacked the franchise up for the last 30 years. Hopefully, Warren and Poles keep them elsewhere.

Appreciate all the work you put into these man

• Like 4

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Someone should commission a study to see if having a good GM leads to good drafting. The Bears have looked different since Ryan Poles took over. 

Funny, after opting not to fire Matt Eberflus everyone told me the Bears had the worst GM in the league

37 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Funny, after opting not to fire Matt Eberflus everyone told me the Bears had the worst GM in the league

To be fair, I have more questions on Flubby as a HC than I do on Poles as a GM.

IF Eberflus flops (which I hope he becomes a hell of a HC as he showed some real leadership ability last season, but we will see) then I hope they give a blank check to Ben Johnson. Bears made the most important pick in their last several decades, and I see no one better to develop Williams if the Bears are looking for a new staff in 2025.

57 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

That may or may not have been true then.

It's not true now.

I’m not ready to ditch all skepticism regarding Poles, especially not due to this draft. The trade with Carolina ended up being a fleecing, and he gets credit for putting themselves in this situation, but most of those picks were no brainers. That said, he’s looking better as time goes on (distancing himself from that Chase Claypool trade, lol). 

He’s bought himself the right to fire Eburflus and hire a new coach, in all likelihood.

• Like 1

2. Philadelphia Eagles

Feb 27, 2024; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Philadelphia Eagles general manager Howie Roseman during the

This Class In One Sentence:

It’s annoying at this point, but what can you do?

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

CB, OT, EDGE, WR, IOL, LB, S

Selections

22. Quinyon Mitchell | CB | Toledo

40. Cooper DeJean | DB | Iowa

94. Jalyx Hunt | EDGE | Houston Baptist

127. Will Shipley | RB | Clemson

152. Ainias Smith | WR | Texas A&M

155. Jeremiah Trotter | LB | Clemson

172. Trevor Keegan | IOL | Michigan

185. Johnny Wilson | WR | Florida State

190. Dylan McMahon | OC | North Carolina State

Best Pick

Cooper DeJean – It seems the lack of positional certainty contributed to his slide, in combination with, well, the unexpected nature of his man’s physical appearance in relation to where he linef up at Iowa. To me, he’s just a rare combination of versatility and high-end athleticism. He might not have the joint flexion to make a living as a full-time outside corner in a man-heavy scheme but he’s talented enough to make a consistent impact in numerous roles on the back end as a playmaker.

Worst Pick

I mean, it’s a strain. I suppose a shot on right tackle that might be groomed behind Lane Johnson was expected, but it’s not an egregious oversight and less so with the Becton signing.

Overall

I mean, the Eagles picking at 22 probably thought they would have an outside chance at Quinyon and a reasonable shot at Cooper DeJean who was consistently mocked by them. To then land both players is, well, it’s stupid. Even Eagles fans, who are either angry or aggressively upbeat and nothing in between, would have laughed if you had mocked that. And little Howie only gave up 50, 53 and 161 for 40, 78 and 152 to divisional rivals WASHINGTON to get DeJean. He then flipped 78 for 86 and 123. Les Snead, did you see that? This is bargaining at the highest realm. I don’t even know if they do any actual scouting at Philly, it’s all value, deals and adherence to a consensus board from the outside looking in. 

Quinyon Mitchell, the, just feels like an Eagle. I can’t explain it. He has perfect cornerback length and speed combination. He was on the draft radar for over a year, with tenacious play at Toledo and answered level-of-competition questions with a dominant week at the Senior Bowl. An impressive combine showing put a bow on an exceptional draft calendar. I thought the Jalyx Hunt pick was interesting at 94. Tiny school, a safety convert playing at a laughable level of competition where he could just run around tackles – but he’s clearly a high-end athlete with natural bend and power. It might take a while, but this is a good place to land and develop.

There’s something to like about all six day three selections, which ticked off needs at good prices. Will Shipley, of the Shipley dynasty, has something about him as a pass-catching back. Being a checkdown, underneath guy who can run a few routes will be his calling card. Ainias Smith is a bit of a forgotten prospect after impressing early in his college career. He’s real small, but elusive and has potential as a key component with the new return rules given his strength there. Jeremiah Trotter is an obvious legacy pick, and it was charming to watch Lurie getting tearful while talking to him, man. He’s an effective, instinctual player when kept clean.

As for the final three selections, Trevor Keegan I liked a little more than his teammate Zinter. I think he has starting guard potential and is a good add to bolster an offensive line facing transition. Johnny Wilson has an insane size profile as an outside receiver, and could be anything in the NFL. I think he’s well worth the shot where they got him. Finally, I like the selection of Dylan McMahon who is a little undersized and doesn’t have great tape. But he’s athletic as hell and the Eagles, clearly, have a good track record with that profile.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

4. Arizona Cardinals

Arizona Cardinals General Manager Monti Ossenfort inside the Arizona Cardinals Draft Room during the 2024 NFL Draft on Thursday, April 25, 2024 in Tempe, AZ.

A lot of picks and a roster which needed them

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

WR, EDGE, CB, DL, IOL, OT, RB

Selections

4. Marvin Harrison Jr. | WR | Ohio State

27. Darius Robinson | DL | Missouri

43. Max Melton | CB | Rutgers

66. Trey Benson | RB | Florida State

71. Isaiah Adams | OL | Illinois

82. Tip Reinman | TE | Illinois

90. Elijah Jones | CB | Boston College

104. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson | S | Texas Tech

138. Xavier Thomas | EDGE | Clemson

162. Christian Jones | OT | Texas

191. Tejhuan Palmer | WR | UAB

226. Jaden Davis | CB | Miami

Best Pick

Marvin Harrison Jr. – Or, I should say the best decision was not getting cute at 4. Monti didn’t let those pre-draft videos of him cooking on the phones in 2023 go to his sizeable smooth head and took the most dynamic receiver prospect in years. Rookie wideouts rarely come out with such a complete profile, to the point that’s almost impossible to poke holes in MHJ's game. At 6’3 and 210, he’s an exceptional mover for his size and can win in the big game just as easily as shaking defenders loose with controlled, crisp route-running. He's going to be difficult to stop in the NFL. 

Worst Pick

Only minor quibbles at this end. With 13 selections available and a deep receiver class, I’d have liked an earlier double-dip there considering the thin depth on the roster. I’m guessing Tip Reinman probably hasn’t been selected with a Travis Kelce-esque upside in mind. At 27, Darius Robinson was probably more of a 2nd round talent for me, even if I get the fit more than the decision to take him ahead of Jer'Zhan Newton. The decision to trade back at 35, whilst normally the smart thing to do, put them out of reach of both Cooper DeJean and Kool-Aid McKinstry and into the next tier of DB prospects. Something to note. 

Overall

I think it’s a very good class, which it should always have been given the capital at Arizona’s disposal and the fact their needs aligned well with the depth of the draft. Every 7 round mock I did had the Cards coming out with a handsome collections of players. And Monti and the gang spent well throughout, and particularly on day three. Bar some terrible luck it’s difficult to envisage Arizona not being a much improved team on the field in 2024, given the talent infusion and how well-coached they were last year. 

I like the Robinson and Melton selections, even if I had higher rated players available at both spots. Both are versatile gets which is probably their best asset. Robinson is long, powerful and has surprising quickness for his 285 pounds. It is notable that he did not test well as an edge rusher, which is where some thought his best position would be in the NFL. But he was really impressive at the Senior Bowl after battling injuries at Mizzou and I like the idea of setting him up to attack gaps in that odd front. Melton was another standout at the Senior Bowl where he was never overmatched. He has rare speed, an outstanding 1.51 ten yard split and sub 4.4 forty. But as is the case with many of the corners in this class, he has had struggles with more physical receivers and might do his best work operating inside.

Trey Benson is a good business at 66. He runs with violence and speed, and bounces defenders and can take it the distance on any given play. The old knee injury is one to watch there, and Florida State's hesitancy to use him as a bell cow. But the physical talent is fantastic. Isaiah Adams is decent at 71 as a nasty blocker with a finisher’s mentality. I’d like to see him move inside to guard, which is where he's likely to challenge for playing time early on. Tip Reinman was probably a little over drafted at 82 even if tight ends rarely come in that athletic/size package these days. But he can block for days standing up and on the move, which will help what they want to do on offense. It is notable that teams were coveting block first tight ends this year, bit ideally you want something a little more well-rounded on day two.

The next four selections are where the class takes a leap. Elijah Jones is a long perimeter corner at 6’2 and 185 who flew a little under the radar. He’s an excellent athlete, with a sub 4.5 forty with crazy jumps. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson has some slot/safety versatility. At under 5’11, there’s not ideal length and he is an older prospect. But he’s great both at coming down hill and smacking dudes, and in match/mirror coverage. I think that’s a smart pick. Xavier Thomas is enigmatic, but has an almost elite first step and genuine ‘wow’ plays on film. Christian Jones is another Senior Bowl participant who was very solid there. He's a surprising catch at 162 given how thirsty the league was for player who might hang at tackle.

Nice breakdown.  The Cards went DL early then quantity in the secondary.  I would’ve preferred the opposite of Wiggins at 27 then quantity at DL.  Monti clearly has a formula through two drafts.  21 picks and only BJ Ojulari will have played his entire rookie season under 22 years old (Wiggins in 20).

Edited by DirtyDez

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers GM Omar Khan

Omar Khan’t stop hitting home runs

OT, IOL, CB, WR, DL, LB, S

Selections

20. Troy Fautanu | OL | Washington

51. Zach Frazier | IOL | West Virginia

84. Roman Wilson | WR | Michigan

98. Payton Wilson | LB | NC State

119. Mason McCormick | IOL | South Dakota State

178. Logan Lee | DL | Iowa

195. Ryan Watts | DB | Texas

Best Pick

Man, this is hard because all four of those first four picks are good to fantastic value. Let’s go for the top selection then in Troy Fautanu because I just liked the fact he was so closely linked to the Steelers than I assumed it wouldn’t actually happen. Also, because he was my 14th overall player, so getting him at 20 is a win. He plays with the sort of twitch and agility you see more from defensive linemen, which is almost jarring to watch. And while there are tackles with better size profiles, few have the power and quickness combination he has at his disposal. With long arms to hang at tackle, he also has the versatility and smarts to man any of the five positions needed. A home-run pick.

Worst Pick

For as great as this draft is, I expected something earlier at corner. Perhaps they feel good about Cory Trice, who I was high on last year or just thought that fixing the offensive line was worth prioritising over other spots. You can't do everything.

Overall

God, those final Big Ben, Kevin Colbert years were sad and depressing, weren’t they? All the energy from the Super Bowl years was just fizzling away. Then suddenly, we get last year’s unexpectedly excellent draft class, Matt Canada gets the sacking even Pittsburgh’s biggest haters applauded, we get a fascinating shift at quarterback with two for the price of none and then this beautiful cherry on top. Mike Tomlin is smiling again, the roster looks deep at most spots. Omar is on fire man, and I love how decisive he is. Do you want a good offensive line, Mike? I’ll give you an offensive line. You don’t want any competition, Kenny? Then get to hell.

I love following up Fautanu with Zach Frazier, two perfect Steelers offensive lineman - the sort that should be there all the time. He’s got that high-end country core strength and has that wrestling background which consistently shows up on tape. He’s a jerk and regularly uprooted defensive tackles and put linebackers in the dirt as a puller, where he excels. He’s probably a center only, which may have hurt his projection – but that’s nice for Pittsburgh who have endured sub-par play there for too long.

I like the Wilson brothers getting drafted in the third round, too. Roman showed high-level potential as a nuanced route-runner and vertical threat at the Senior Bowl, something he couldn't put on film every week at Michigan. He was also a good run blocker there despite his lack of ideal size, which isn't something Pittsburgh got with the guy who just left town. He’s never been a big stats producer, albeit in a run-first offensive system – but his team-first mentality will suit in his new home. Payton is a long linebacker with safety-level athleticism. He’s a proven top-tier athlete despite his extensive medical history, has range in coverage and is comfortable in space. The health is a real concern, particularly in the knee with no cartilage (!) but the pay-off is big if he just get a run of luck there.

Elsewhere, Mason McCormick had a crazy workout at the combine after an impressive showing on the all-star circuit. He called the protections at guard and center at South Dakota and that versatility gives Pittsburgh even more flexibility in 2024 and beyond. Logan Lee is a little high-effort, low ceiling but has a chance in a crowded scene on the interior. Ryan Watts has some versatility at the back end, with a sweet size/athletic profile but an inconsistent tape.

• Like 8

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

It has been a while since we had a consensus to draft but this year's was clear-cut.

Everyone said before the draft that OL was one of the strengths of the pool. Sure enough, multiple teams took three OL players--Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Dallas off the top of my head. All three also took a WR. 

This was a flashy draft but not a deep draft. Six QBs in the top 15 never happened before. To the depth issue, many COVID players are entering their 6th year. 2025 may be the oldest pool in history.

• Like 2