Aaron Rodgers Back to the IR.

gopherwrestler

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't really trying to be unique, I was merely pointing out that I didn't think putting up the standard 7-9 to 9-7 seasons was anything to write home about.  Now, if they can continue to post 10+ win seasons consistently it'll be worth discussing.

feel free to discuss that very question here:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/5524-yeah-but-what-about-this/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-446573

How realistic is it that Rodgers ends his career with only one championship? Obviously for me, he is no better or no less a player if that is the case or even if he gets another one. But man his talents and his play warrants that. Just goes to show QBs dint win championships. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

How realistic is it that Rodgers ends his career with only one championship? Obviously for me, he is no better or no less a player if that is the case or even if he gets another one. But man his talents and his play warrants that. Just goes to show QBs dint win championships. 

Winning a ring is hard. The Patriots are the only team to figure out how to win championships consistently in this era and even they went over 10 years between championships. If Rodgers would retire tomorrow, I know I’d appreciate all he gave to this team. Even the close calls to a ring will hold a special place. Him dualing with Warner in Arizona, obviously our championship run, our regular season in 2011, our run that ended in Seattle in 2014 and of course the “run the table” run in 2016. All great memories I’ll have of him and his teams. Would I have liked more rings? Duh, but that doesn’t reallt diminish him as a player to me and he took us on some fantastic journeys, even if they all didn’t have happy endings. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

After Wentz went out with his torn ACL, absolutely.  There isn't a team in the NFC that I think is the heavy favorite.  No Seattle, Green Bay, etc. this year.

i mean, its been years since gb and probably seattle has been viewed as heavy favorite or as an elite team. seattle more recently but gb much more so. minnesota is every bit aa scary as those two teams recently.

10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i mean, its been years since gb and probably seattle has been viewed as heavy favorite or as an elite team. seattle more recently but gb much more so. minnesota is every bit aa scary as those two teams recently.

You're amusing.

Per Shefter,  Teams complain that Packers violated IR rule, think Aaron Rodgers should be released: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21863467/teams-complain-nfl-green-bay-packers-violated-ir-rule-think-aaron-rodgers-released

I understand the reason for the rule, but I dont understand the consequence/punishment. Doesnt matter anyway, he would just re-sign with the Packers.

17 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Per Shefter,  Teams complain that Packers violated IR rule, think Aaron Rodgers should be released: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21863467/teams-complain-nfl-green-bay-packers-violated-ir-rule-think-aaron-rodgers-released

I understand the reason for the rule, but I dont understand the consequence/punishment. Doesnt matter anyway, he would just re-sign with the Packers.

Ya but releasing someone with a contract like Rodgers would probably create cap hell would it not? 

Just now, Lunch Pail said:

Ya but releasing someone with a contract like Rodgers would probably create cap hell would it not? 

His contract is up after this next year and there would be 0 dead cap if he was cut in 2018. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

But that's not the issue.  The issue is whether or not and at what point Rodgers would be subject to waivers. 

It's all moot anyway.  Literally any injury Rodgers sustained against the Panthers, even if the Packer doctors weren't confident in playing him due to a bruise, would be enough to put him back on IR.  Once the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention, it didn't matter if the injury was something that would keep him out for 6 weeks.  All that mattered was whether or not it would keep him out for the rest of the Packers season, two games. 

So Browns fans shouldn't get their hopes up.  Ever, but also not now. 

9 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

This. I chuckled at the mention of GB there. They haven't been a real threat for several years.

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

You mean to tell me Rodgers would re-sign with the Packers even if Cleveland offered him a 10 year, $50m per year contract?

He'd have to at least consider that contract right??

18 minutes ago, TomRalph said:

You mean to tell me Rodgers would re-sign with the Packers even if Cleveland offered him a 10 year, $50m per year contract?

He'd have to at least consider that contract right??

Well I don't think $50m/year is realistic, and any offer that is realistic wouldn't be enough of a difference to get Rodgers to sell his soul on a technicality.

The Packers should be forced to place Rodgers on waivers AND be docked a draft pick or two.

But at this point I don't expect the league to follow through with ANY of their written rules anymore. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Literally any injury Rodgers sustained against the Panthers, even if the Packer doctors weren't confident in playing him due to a bruise, would be enough to put him back on IR. 

But no new injuries were reported though, that's the problem. Which is a clear violation.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Once the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention, it didn't matter if the injury was something that would keep him out for 6 weeks.

It does matter. Alot in fact.

By rule, in order to place Rodgers(or any player) on IR, that player must have suffered a new injury that would keep him out for at least 6 weeks. If that player did NOT suffer a new injury that would sideline him for at least 6 weeks (which Rodgers did appear to fall into this category) and the team places that player on IR anyhow, by rule, the team must release said player after his injury is healed.

Archived