Aaron Rodgers Back to the IR.

gopherwrestler

35 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

They clearly broke the rule regardless of whatever competitive advantage it may or may not have given them. No, I don't want to see Aaron Rodgers cut. But it's funny how in the case of air the air pressure of footballs, Goodell went above and beyond the written rule. And here, the league signed off on an obvious rule violation that I first pointed out before the story about teams being annoyed even broke.

They didn’t break any rule but it’s cute that people are so misinformed, mostly because of one click bait post from Schefter, that they are banging the table for punishment. 

It was already stated he wasn't re-injured and was just sore. The rule on this clearly states major injury regardless. Yes, they did break the rule. A black and white one. The Packers fans questioning this don't have an argument I've seen beyond that the NFL approved it.

5 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

It was already stated he wasn't re-injured and was just sore. The rule on this clearly states major injury regardless. Yes, they did break the rule. A black and white one. The Packers fans questioning this don't have an argument I've seen beyond that the NFL approved it.

By McCarthy?  Him publicly downplaying injuries has been a running joke for GB fans for years. Not sure that's the best source to use but feel free to treat it as gospel.

It does seem like an infraction, because from everything I heard or saw, they were undecided on playing Rodgers in the Vikes game all the way up to when they were eliminated from the playoffs. If they still had a chance for the postseason, signs pointed to him playing. Now I thought this was foolish all along because their postseason hopes were such a long shot, so I didnt think the risk of re-injury was worth it. 

Now, no one here is privy to certain defining info in this situation, which is why he was placed back on the IR. The NFL has to approve of these moves, so the Packers obviously gave them an explanation which they accepted. Who knows how much truth is behind what they told the NFL. 

Now we all know the NFL isn't going to do squat about this as it stands currently. What could be interesting, however, would be if Rodgers made some sort of a grievance with the NFLPA. He could claim that he was placed on the IR when he was healthy enough to play in order to try and sever his relations with the Packers. We don't know where his mindset is, but placing yourself in his situation, he can't be happy with what talent has been placed around him and with how the rest of the team is performing. If there aren't shakeups in the coaching staff or front office, maybe he pushes the deal in order to try and go to another contender based on him losing confidence in management. This is probably far fetched at this point, but I've seen other conversations about how he could be upset and demand a trade... if this were the case, it may be in his best interest to try and get a release in order to choose where he wants to go. I don't expect this to happen, but it's just something to chew on.

Just now, Stevein2012 said:

By McCarthy?  Him publicly downplaying injuries has been a running joke for GB fans for years. Not sure that's the best source to use but feel free to treat it as gospel.

I'm pretty sure a major injury to Rodgers that would have kept him for an extended period of time again would have leaked by now. We all know he would have played this week if the playoffs were still a possibility. The league approving it can let the Packers say that it's not really cheating on their part. I mean, they weren't dishonest about anything. Doesn't change the fact that, yes, the rule was violated.

23 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

It was stated to the league that he had a major injury and they accepted it. End of story.

There was no rule infraction as determined by the rules authority.

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

They clearly broke the rule regardless of whatever competitive advantage it may or may not have given them. No, I don't want to see Aaron Rodgers cut. But it's funny how in the case of air the air pressure of footballs, Goodell went above and beyond the written rule. And here, the league signed off on an obvious rule violation that I first pointed out before the story about teams being annoyed even broke.

Because the NFL enforces rules when their intended reasoning for making the rule comes into play. Would the NFL have ever made the rule if only cases like this happened all the time? No. They made it to protect young fringe roster guys from having years of their  young careers wasted on IR. There is no way they're going to punish teams for not taking risks with their star players health when there is no reward to be gained.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because the NFL enforces rules when their intended reasoning for making the rule comes into play. Would the NFL have ever made the rule if only cases like this happened all the time? No. They made it to protect young fringe roster guys from having years of their  young careers wasted on IR. There is no way they're going to punish teams for not taking risks with their star players health when there is no reward to be gained.

I love the altruistic spin on this rule. No, it's not about protecting young players. It's about the competition between teams. There's limited roster spots. The Packers didn't gain an advantage here by putting one of the league's best players on IR, and then wasting that roster spot on a scrub QB. But the petty complaints you are seeing right now are the reason the rule exists.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I love the altruistic spin on this rule. No, it's not about protecting young players. It's about the competition between teams. There's limited roster spots. The Packers didn't gain an advantage here by putting one of the league's best players on IR, and then wasting that roster spot on a scrub QB. But the petty complaints you are seeing right now are the reason the rule exists.

Yes, the rule exists to protect young players. I mean I guess there is a slight competitive advantage about IR-ing fringe roster guys instead of cutting them, but the rule is there for the player, so that he can go to a new team where he'll play. Nothing altruistic about it, probably 9 times out of 10 that player turns out to be nothing in the league, there's no competitive advantage here.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, the rule exists to protect young players. I mean I guess there is a slight competitive advantage about IR-ing fringe roster guys instead of cutting them, but the rule is there for the player, so that he can go to a new team where he'll play. Nothing altruistic about it, probably 9 times out of 10 that player turns out to be nothing in the league, there's no competitive advantage here.

You think the league office and NFL teams put this rule in place to protect young players most of whom won't even make it in the league? The NFLPA may have been sold that way, but it's baffling. Look at the reports on the complaints from other teams here. It's about the roster spots.

Just now, CKSteeler said:

You think the league office and NFL teams put this rule in place to protect young players most of whom won't even make it in the league? The NFLPA may have been sold that way, but it's baffling. Look at the reports on the complaints from other teams here. It's about the roster spots.

Why would I look at the complaints of the teams that think the Pack should cut Rodgers? That's lol worthy of them. I can tell you those complaints came from 3 NFCN teams and any team chasing or ahead of the Vikes in the playoff race.

Rest of the NFL couldn't care less. There is no competitive advantage here. 

Archived