In depth look at the offensive line

I think we actually keep Cohen and Zinter as the backup Guards this year....I think they are the plan next year....and Cohen would get poached off the PS....I love michale Dunn as he is the example of the vet backup....but we can find a Michale Dunn just about anywhere....Zinter and Cohen are the future at Guards. I think Bintonio retires if we win the SB or miss the playoffs...if we make a deep playoff run and he gets a taste of that he may run it back one more year. I think this is Teller's last year (unless Joe B retries), unless some kind of crazy paycut happens.....I think they may make room for some extensions (Cooper and JOK) with the cash saved from there. 

We wont loose both All Pro Guards in one season, but I think we loose at least one next year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I think we actually keep Cohen and Zinter as the backup Guards this year....I think they are the plan next year....and Cohen would get poached off the PS....I love michale Dunn as he is the example of the vet backup....but we can find a Michale Dunn just about anywhere....Zinter and Cohen are the future at Guards. I think Bintonio retires if we win the SB or miss the playoffs...if we make a deep playoff run and he gets a taste of that he may run it back one more year. I think this is Teller's last year (unless Joe B retries), unless some kind of crazy paycut happens.....I think they may make room for some extensions (Cooper and JOK) with the cash saved from there. 

We wont loose both All Pro Guards in one season, but I think we loose at least one next year. 

We’re going to have to do something with one of them, we can’t continue moving forward with 50 million dollars invested in the OG position, I think if zinter has a good camp you could possibly see teller as a post june first trade

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:25 PM, Kiwibrown said:

I blame Mindcharacter for us taking Wils over Wirfs.

He'll never show his face around here again now that Wirfs has proven that he is indeed... a LEFT tackle.

Shameful take, @Mind Character. Just terrible.

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

We’re going to have to do something with one of them, we can’t continue moving forward with 50 million dollars invested in the OG position, I think if zinter has a good camp you could possibly see teller as a post june first trade

Not impossible, but I think it's far more likely Zinter is a backup this year and takes over in 2025.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

He'll never show his face around here again now that Wirfs has proven that he is indeed... a LEFT tackle.

Shameful take, @Mind Character. Just terrible.

I argued him down about this...I kept remember saying my top 5 was Thomas for UGA (Giants), Wirfs, Mekhi Beckton (But said he was Boom or Bust) Robert Hunt OT (moved to G with Miami),  then Wills and Jackson tied for 6th and that Wills could be an Pro Bowl RT, I didnt think he could play LT.....

One of my most civil and heated arguments I can recall LOL....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DawgX said:

Not impossible, but I think it's far more likely Zinter is a backup this year and takes over in 2025.

I agree that this is the master plan as of May 22, 2024, but......

Andrew has shown that if he thinks he can get better than expected value out of another team - he will not hesitate one iota to make that trade then. I am thinking of a situation where another contender loses a guard for the season in training camp, and they call the Browns willing to overpay for Teller. 

I am not wild about compromising our own depth via a trade, but like the saying says "No guts, no glory".

Conklin has not shown the ability to stay healthy through a now 17 game season. That is why I was floored when we extended him. Not necessarily that we extended him, but the volume of dollars and most of it guaranteed stunned me.

But he does have a better career run blocking grade than Dawand at this point. That is kind of unfair to Dawand as he has only played 1 season. But the reality is, if both guys are healthy at the start of the season, Conklin most likely is your starter.

As of today - there is no way I would wait past my first opportunity for something to happen to Conklin to draft an additional tackle. I thought that was our biggest need last April. I am happy Mike Hall is here, but if I was pulling the strings I would have gone OT in Rd. 2.

Maybe we do find that proverbial "diamond in the rough" at LT with UDFA Lorenzo Thompson. Generally, there is a plausible reason why guys go undrafted. Certainly the step up in competition from the Coastal Athletic Assn to the NFL will be daunting. But as method of reasonable roster building, linemen should be drafted and developed at least from the mid rounds every year in the draft.

8 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Conklin has not shown the ability to stay healthy through a now 17 game season. That is why I was floored when we extended him. Not necessarily that we extended him, but the volume of dollars and most of it guaranteed stunned me.

I hated it to. Not the player the injury history. It's not freak stuff but his joints which seem weak. Ain't no room for men made of glass in the trenches.

But he does have a better career run blocking grade than Dawand at this point. That is kind of unfair to Dawand as he has only played 1 season. But the reality is, if both guys are healthy at the start of the season, Conklin most likely is your starter.

Dawand is the best tackle on the bench week 1. Possibly better than our starters.

As of today - there is no way I would wait past my first opportunity for something to happen to Conklin to draft an additional tackle. I thought that was our biggest need last April. I am happy Mike Hall is here, but if I was pulling the strings I would have gone OT in Rd. 2.

Maybe we do find that proverbial "diamond in the rough" at LT with UDFA Lorenzo Thompson. Generally, there is a plausible reason why guys go undrafted. Certainly the step up in competition from the Coastal Athletic Assn to the NFL will be daunting. But as method of reasonable roster building, linemen should be drafted and developed at least from the mid rounds every year in the draft.

Be sweet if we got a good tackle as a UDFA. We need four guys with our best three they all have an injury history.

• 1 month later...

I ran across this article this morning, and it really makes the most sense - at least starting out 2024.

You have a budding star at RT in Dawand Jones. You simply cannot not play him in favor of an aging and lately injury prone Jack Conklin. Conklin still has value to this team, but he cannot stand in the way of a much younger and fast rising star in Dawand.

On the other side......

Wills was starting to play better, aka figure it out at LT prior to going down for the season. For that reason alone, I think Jed deserves the chance to see if that trend continues in 2024. It has been a minute since Jack has played LT, but he was a star LT at Michigan State back in the day. So, the idea of him flipping to LT would not be a foreign concept.

If Jack is comfortable with this new role, I really like this triumvirate of OTs we have. Wills and Jones are your starters and Conklin the swing tackle. James Hudson, in a back up role, is also a serviceable swing tackle.

Best news of all this is Jack is healthy again.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/03/browns-jack-conklin-swing-tackle-2024/

Jedrick is in a contract year, so he’s going to put his best foot forward.

I mean, do we really need a great LT…? If Jed can be a top 10-15 ish LT, I can live with it if that’s how much he’s paid.

I just feel like we have bigger problems coming down the road with needing to replace Chubb and getting pass rush help.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I mean, do we really need a great LT…? If Jed can be a top 10-15 ish LT, I can live with it if that’s how much he’s paid.

I just feel like we have bigger problems coming down the road with needing to replace Chubb and getting pass rush help.

I think having a top LT is also one of those things everyone wants and only a couple manage to find.  They don’t grow on trees. It’s not just a matter of drafting someone on day 2, let them sit a year and you’re aces.  The top guys are usually top picks and don’t hit FA.  

56 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We had one of the 3 best OT of all time and it never mattered on the stat sheet for W’s. Yes if you have a franchise QB protect him, otherwise we should absolutely let him walk and get a comp pick.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We had one of the 3 best OT of all time and it never mattered on the stat sheet for W’s. Yes if you have a franchise QB protect him, otherwise we should absolutely let him walk and get a comp pick.

Excellent post my man

• Like 1