Best Corners

Who are the best corners in the league? LJ Sneed, Sauce Gardner, Trevon Diggs, Jalen Ramsey, Trent McDuffie, who am I missing? 

how would you all rank them? Who’s the best? Or a good Top 10?

Marshon Lattimore was a monster…not sure if he’s fallen off or not.

The Browns have a trio of top 15 guys. Ward is probably the best, but would be in the 5-8 range at best.

If Diggs is in there, so too should Daron Bland. 

15 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I know I'm an Eagles fan but if Diggs and Bland are getting mentioned already, then I think that is an indictment on corner play in the NFL overall. Solid players but certainly get beat like drums too.

Eh, it speaks less to the quality of current CB’s cover ability and moreso to said people’s preferences (in this case, defensive ply making abilities). (And yes, I know, ‘Boys fans, Diggs homes his coverage in more this year.)

Said people probably liked the Deltha O’Neals over the Ike Taylors of yesteryear.

9 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Eh, it speaks less to the quality of current CB’s cover ability and moreso to said people’s preferences (in this case, defensive ply making abilities). (And yes, I know, ‘Boys fans, Diggs homes his coverage in more this year.)

Said people probably liked the Deltha O’Neals over the Ike Taylors of yesteryear.

I like playmakers too but I'll take a guy who might pick off 3 balls a year in addition to good sticky coverage vs a guy with 6 picks but who is a touchdown risk every time the qb drops back. I mean is jumping routes really even a skill? Can't any starting caliber corner with solid reactive skills jump a route at any given time?

• Like 1

Diggs is nowhere in the conversation right now. In 2022 he had created a ton of turnovers but also gave up nearly 1,000 yards, which is unheard of for most CBs. It’s not like he was shutdown. The following year the turnovers were cut down, but he was giving up catches at a higher rate with an 86.1 passer rating allowed when targeted. Then obviously he was hurt last year. 

If we’re talking about who’s come off the best seasons, that’s guys like McDuffie, Snead, and Jaylon Johnson all have strong cases. Some CBs who most don’t think of as great CBs, had strong years, like Darious Williams and Rasul Douglas. 

Total package? Sauce is tops, for me. Ramsey came back strong, but I’m not convinced he’s turned over a new leaf (been overrated for a bit now). Honestly, same can be said of Surtain. He’s a great player and has the ability, but the on-field play hasn’t matched that yet. Both get the Patrick Peterson treatment. Although in all fairness, the position is so volatile right now it’s really hard to definitively put any of the good players in or out of the conversation. 

15 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I know I'm an Eagles fan but if Diggs and Bland are getting mentioned already, then I think that is an indictment on corner play in the NFL overall. Solid players but certainly get beat like drums too.

Eh. I used to share this view too, but passing games now are built so they always get theirs. It's not even necessarily less about being lockdown and more about creating the big plays, but I think those 2 are both held in equally high regard now. It's ok if you get beat/allow easy stuff consistently if you are also creating turnovers and scoring on your own.

As for the question at hand, unless you're watching all-22 across the league, it is hard to answer. The more lockdown guys win reps when they aren't even thrown at, and you'll never see that highlighted on the broadcast or on a regular stat sheet. I certainly don't watch enough across the league to know. I know guys that are pointed out regularly who win that way, like Sauce, Surtain, and a few others, and I know guys who produce turnovers at a really high rate, like Bland, but that's it.

• Like 1