Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

30 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Can't lose both your OTs to injury if you draft an OG to play OT!

In the last decade plus the Packers have basically only drafted guys who played OT or C, and yet they still manage to fill out 5 OL positions.  A lot of people said Bryan Bulaga, David Bakhtiari, and Zach Tom were guards too, i figure a guy is whatever position he's playing.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Forge said:

He hasn't been great. He hasn't been a problem in those 5 games. 

But his numbers are substantially down pretty much across the board in the playoffs compared to the regular season. He's not as bad as Goff was with the Rams or Jimmy was or anything, but the offense also ceases to run at an elite clip for some reason. I mentioned it last year during the playoff run that it was hard to separate what was on his shoulders and what was Shanny in terms of the reason for the backslide in the playoffs, but so far it's been a real thing.  Now, its the playoffs, so you don't expect elite level numbers to carry over 1 for 1 but Purdahan haven't done anything so far that makes me feel comfortable that they are going to smash teams in the playoffs either. But he's done a pretty good job rising to the moment in several instances, which says a lot about Purdy. 

Have to give him time. He's not even technically in his prime yet as a QB. We'll see if there is more room to grow. 

Yeah. I think it's too early to say either way. I'm just surprised to have read that sweeping statement. He certainly hasn't been horrible in the postseason. You're right he hasn't been dynamite, but it's the playoffs with harder competition. There aren't that many guys, even HOF quarterbacks that were knockouts consistently in the playoffs. Maybe they had one great playoff run, followed by a bunch of up/down. Yes, we'll see with more time. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Not really considering how cap increases year over year. It's just part of business 

Let me clarify, I don't think Goff is all that great and you have no long-term replacement option.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nzd07 said:

Let me clarify, I don't think Goff is all that great and you have no long-term replacement option.

Hendon Hooker got drafted last year and missed most of the season with an ACL from college. Detroit doesn't really know what they have in him yet, but he could very well be Goff's successor. It would likely take an injury or some really terrible play from Goff to get into a game, but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable saying that Detroit has nothing behind Goff. Hooker looked pretty great in college before getting hurt.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Why exactly would the Lions need a long term replacement option right now? Goff is only 29. 

He's proven he can lead the team to the playoffs, he's won 2 playoffs games and played well enough in the NFC title game to win that game if not for his defense letting him down and a couple crucial drops from his receiver.

There is no reason for Detroit to be looking to have his replacement yet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Congrats I guess to Goff getting carried to the Super Bowl by McVay. I'll take the guy who outperformed expectations and was the best QB in the league 2nd half of last season vs a game manager. 

Is there a like a parade for that? Maybe a new banner?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Offense as a whole needed time to gel. We had the youngest offense in the league last year, and then we lost our 2 most veteran players week 1 of the season(Bakh and Jones). It makes sense they would struggle at first. Jordan Love 2nd half of the year was arguably the best QB in the league. Goff has never shown the ability to carry a team or play at the level of Love the 2nd half of last season. 

The Lions had the worst defense in the league in 2022. They went 9-8 (same record as Love last year).

To end that season, Goff had an 11 game stretch of 18 TD/1 INT, 260 ypg, 104 rating while the Lions went 8-3. The only games the Lions lost during this stretch were a 4 point loss to Miami where the defense gave up 476 yards, a 3 point loss to Buffalo on a last second field goal, and a loss to Carolina (bad) where the defense gave up 320 yards rushing and 570 total yards (lolz).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

The Lions had the worst defense in the league in 2022. They went 9-8 (same record as Love last year).

To end that season, Goff had an 11 game stretch of 18 TD/1 INT, 260 ypg, 104 rating while the Lions went 8-3. The only games the Lions lost during this stretch were a 4 point loss to Miami where the defense gave up 476 yards, a 3 point loss to Buffalo on a last second field goal, and a loss to Carolina (bad) where the defense gave up 320 yards rushing and 570 total yards (lolz).

Admittedly, I did not realize Goff had that good of an ending to 2022 season. 

Will still standby from the eye test, that Love 2nd half of last season was better than Goff has been at any point in his career. Could argue that he might not even be top 5 best offensive player on the Lions offense:

1. Sewell

2. ARSB 

3. Ragnow(when he plays)

4. Montgomery/Gibbs: lump them together since the Lions dominant run game is engine that kept their offense going

5. Goff/Laporta/Decker

Sheesh listing these out made me realize how stacked Lions offense really is. If Jameson Williams ever puts it together, offense is downright scary(Packers offense still gonna be better though :))

38 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Will still standby from the eye test, that Love 2nd half of last season was better than Goff has been at any point in his career. Could argue that he might not even be top 5 best offensive player on the Lions offense:

1. Sewell

2. ARSB 

3. Ragnow(when he plays)

4. Montgomery/Gibbs: lump them together since the Lions dominant run game is engine that kept their offense going

5. Goff/Laporta/Decker

Sheesh listing these out made me realize how stacked Lions offense really is. If Jameson Williams ever puts it together, offense is downright scary(Packers offense still gonna be better though :))

None of that matters when you don’t have a qb though… see the falcons. Falcons play makers blow both the pack and lions offense out the water. They are way more stacked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

None of that matters when you don’t have a qb though… see the falcons. Falcons play makers blow both the pack and lions offense out the water. They are way more stacked. 

Yeah Nah.. Love is Mac Jones 2.0 and Falcons are just bad like the Jags

2 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

1. Sewell

2. ARSB 

3. Ragnow(when he plays)

5. Goff/Laporta/Decker

You guys are really going to make me defend Jared Goff? The bodies of work aren't even comparable, Love still has to prove he can do it consistently before you can definitively say he's better than Goff. I don't think "well he sucked the first half of the season but the second half he was good" is as strong of an argument as you think it is.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, StatKing said:

You guys are really going to make me defend Jared Goff? The bodies of work aren't even comparable, Love still has to prove he can do it consistently before you can definitively say he's better than Goff. I don't think "well he sucked the first half of the season but the second half he was good" is as strong of an argument as you think it is.

Original argument was Goff easily being the best QB in the division

Goff is what he is at this point. A game manager who can lead an offense if he has a strong supporting staff. He's not gonna win you games but he will hardly lose them for you if he has a solid OL. 

Love is a potential franchise QB who had an inconsistent 1st year. Not good 1st half, great 2nd half. He has shown the ability to carry an offense and his ceiling is a top 3 QB in the league. 

Comes down to preference, would you rather the safe route or high ceiling? I'll put my chips on the guy who led the youngest team in the league to the playoffs and playoff win his 1st year starting when everyone had written the Packers off.

The difference between the "oldest" and "youngest" teams in the league is 2.4 years. That trope is wildly overplayed... Not to mention that Detroit's average age is 25.7 (11th in the NFL) to GB's 25 years.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Goff is what he is at this point.

I'm not sure I buy this.

A 29 y/o positional player relying on athleticism? I'm on board with you.

A QB in 2024 where you aren't allowed to touch him and the game is more cerebral than ever? Idk. 

One might peak physically but it seems like as long as a QB can still make the throws and stay healthy, age is a benefit imo, because experience and knowledge is so valuable to the position. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

So you admit to literally not knowing what Goff did only to follow up with "but I still think my QB is better"?

That's definitely a strategy that exists....

• Like 3