Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Player gets paid market value "Wow what an overpay 😲" -Football's Future

While this is true, I get the extra concern about Goff. When the Rams gave him his first deal, it was market value at that time. The problem was Goff's "market" can be more volatile. The Rams gave him his contract at the top of Goff's market and as such it became a bad deal when his play never rebounded with the Rams. I think there's more reason to believe it will be better this time, but Goff has already burned one team with a 4 year extension. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It kicks in starting next year, when the cap is going to be somewhere around $275MM. So if you take the AAV it's 19% of the cap in the first year, or adjusted for inflation it's the same deal Kyler Murray got.

Good deal for each party.

I can only hope he breaks the "QB making more than 13% of cap doesn't win SB" barrier

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

For a top 8 QB? I think it’s fair, it’ll be topped soon. 

I’d easily take these guys over Goff:

Mahomes 

Jackson

Allen

Burrow

Prescott

Hurts

Herbert

Purdy

I’d say these guys are interchangeable with Goff:

Cousins

Rodgers

Stafford

Wouldn’t be surprised if these guys overtake Goff this year:

Love

Stroud

Caleb Williams

Goff in my opinion more often than not is a 10-15 range starting QB in the NFL. Who may dip his toes into the back end of the top 10 some seasons, but mostly around that 10-15 range. That contract is too rich for my liking, but to each their own.

• Like 1

Goff - a top 10 QB - coincides with the best roster Detroit has ever had (in the SB era).

Why disrupt this? Smart move to keep him, even if this was the amount Goff sought.

Lions keep their SB window open for a few years beyond 2024 (at minimum).

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Man is getting paid Cousins+Penix money without costing a draft pick and he actually wins, but suddenly everyone is stingy. Of course it looks expensive, his last deal was 4 years old and it's WR money now.

It's still a lot of moolah. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Mahomes 

Jackson

Allen

Burrow

Prescott

Hurts

Herbert

Purdy

Cousins

Rodgers

Stafford

Love

Stroud

Caleb Williams

Goff in my opinion more often than not is a 10-15 range starting QB in the NFL. Who may dip his toes into the back end of the top 10 some seasons, but mostly around that 10-15 range. That contract is too rich for my liking, but to each their own.

Much more steady than Dak, Hurts, Purdy and Herbert. Next tier is much older. Young tier is still unproven. I think hes comfortably in the top 10. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It kicks in starting next year, when the cap is going to be somewhere around $275MM. So if you take the AAV it's 19% of the cap in the first year, or adjusted for inflation it's the same deal Kyler Murray got.

Good deal for each party.

Spot on. It's going to look even better next year 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Much more steady than Dak, Hurts, Purdy and Herbert. Next tier is much older. Young tier is still unproven. I think hes comfortably in the top 10. 

Nothing really wrong with this contact as a whole, but there's legit no real case to be made for him to be "more steady" than Purdy. 

Can exclude Purdy based on a lack of sample in multiple situations, but no case to be made goff is "more steady" on the whole based on what we actually have seen. Goff is pretty much who I expect Purdy to be, tbh

Hurts suffers a little from being hurt last year. Will be more interesting with increased data this year. 

Dak has largely just been better than Goff for his career in terms of regular season performance

Thank goodness Jared Goff gets more than Kirk Cousins got, he is 6 years younger and a better player and has proven himself far more in the playoffs than Kirk, oh and one is not coming off a torn Achilles.  So good for Jared Goff.

54 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Mahomes 

Jackson

Allen

Burrow

Prescott

Hurts

Herbert

Purdy

Cousins

Rodgers

Stafford

Love

Stroud

Caleb Williams

For one I would not take Matthew Stafford over Jared Goff even at the age of 36, Stafford was great last season but sure might start to decline at some point, Stafford has super rare arm talent so I would still give him the nod.

Love I agree could be over Goff by the end of this up coming season but we will see, same with Stroud.  Caleb Williams over him right now, that would difficult and not sure Williams is going to look near as good as Stroud did last year.

The rest, honestly not sure I would take Prescott over Jared Goff considering how Prescott has performed in the playoffs.  Purdy, that is a hard one because you put Goff on the 49ers yeah right they would not be just as good if not better.  

• Like 1

That's a lot of money for a QB who led the Lions to their first NFC Championship appearance in over 30 years and is the most underrated player at his position in the league 

Lions will surely regret this and now you have to wonder if his teammates will resent him and eventually turn on the coaches and organization