Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

27 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Stafford doesn’t count. It was dead money. Mahomes is the only exception. Goff is no Mahomes.

I mean the dead money still ultimately had the Rams salary cap hampered by money going out to QBs which is the same thing as a QB taking up a lot of cap dollars. In both cases you have a limited amount of money for the rest of the roster

I’ll be scared if I was det. Once Goff got paid by the rams he stopped caring and getting better. This frustrated Sean and ultimately got him exiled. Sean gave him a big FU. 

hope he doesn’t call it in. That’s a ton of money. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Getting chastised by a Lions fan about being desperate for a quarterback is really my thesis for why Cleveland is the most miserable fan base on the planet.

you, i like you

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

With QBs, I don't think people care much about the money. It's all about the player. I mean the people that don't like the deal, why would they like it at 4 years $160m? They'd save $13m/year but it's still an outrageous amount of money for one person that is crucial to the teams success. 

I think it just comes down to how you believe you can win. Do you need a top 5 QB (Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, etc) and you just continously cycle through guys until you get there or are you fine going mid tier? Some people just refuse to want to give any mid tier guys a 2nd contract. I don't agree with them but there's merit to those arguments. 

You're looking at the perception of the extension at the time of deal, which is fair and interesting and maybe even all that matters, but I was initially kind of thinking about how we would perceive it in hindsight. 

At the time of signing, imo it seems to be the cost of doing business. But I'm really interested to see how it affects the Trevor and Brock numbers, given exactly your statement about it being about the player and how you believe you can win. 

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Remember one of the best offensive minds in the game right now paid a 1st round pick to get this guy off his roster. Now he's playing much better under Johnson, but he's entirely a system QB without the raw talent to ever put him in the elite tier. 

*whispers* every QB is a system QB

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Goff, Dak, to a lesser degree Tua, and guys like them give you a punching chance at a legitimate Super Bowl run.

Who turns that down and takes whatever is standing behind Curtain 3 unless it’s a mid to late rounder that magically falls in your lap…which ironically is exactly what Dak was to begin with.

I'm just not sold on Tua ever getting a team to the Superbowl and I've stated that in the past. But I would pay QBs like Goff and Dak for sure. People seem to think it's easy to get QBs like Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, and Burrow, but it's not. You'd more than likely have to have a top five pick and pray and hope that the draft you're picking in has one of those guys it in.  Finding a better QB or one that's equivalent to Goff is tough, especially where they expect to be picking in future drafts, so this is a good deal. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Seems like a lot for a guy who has demonstrated success only when propped up by outstanding coaching and teammates.

Not that there is anything wrong with that??? This basically describes Steve Young's HOF career. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

41 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Those people have selective memories, which reminds me of this:

This is why I rarely have really strong draft takes, because you just never know. Teams that have infinitely more info about draft prospects than I do get it wrong constantly, so it's hard for me to have strong opinions on this stuff.

46 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm curious from both people who like this and people who hate this - 

What would make you consider this a "good" extension?

Like, certainly if he plays well and wins a SB we would all say it was a great extension, but that seems like unrealistic expectations.

So I guess I'm asking - do we expect a SB appearance @ 50m/yr? NFFCG?

What's the expectation for the next 4 years?

Deals for QBs in this tier are borderline unwinnable, to me. The QB market is just absolute non-sense for this tier of players. There's nothing close to representing actual QB tiers in the QB contract market. Like, it's always been a thing, the newest guy to sign gets a bit more, but that's like Laremy Tunseil getting more than Trent Williams. That's not normally in the territory of damn near pushing Mahomes and Allen out of the top 10. There is no mid-tier QB contract market, and it honestly hurts the teams without an elite QB even more.

Because the problem this creates, is if you have a good but not great QB, you're honestly stuck. Like, we could quibble all offseason about where exactly Goff ranks. But I think two safe statements in that regard would be, he's not a top 5 QB, but he is a top 16 QB. So above average but not great, more or less. And this makes him very hard to move off of, because just by virtue of being above average, if you move on from him, statistically speaking you will likely get worse. There is a greater than not chance that his replacement will be a lesser QB, and you made that downgrade willingly.

But if you keep him, and pay what the market has now decided is value, you're paying a non-elite QB elite QB money. And you're giving away the advantage you may have against the types of teams you would see in the postseason or the superbowl, that maybe your QB isn't quite as great, but you have the opportunity to build a better overall roster around them to make up for it. A team like San Fran can keep together it's roster of prime and veteran players because they don't have the money tied up at QB. San Fran can hang with KC in these superbowls because while Purdy is no Mahomes, the rest of the roster by and large is just more talented. That's harder to hold together with a $50M QB. And this is probably a bit tougher to deal with in the AFC, but regardless, you're trying to use your above average QB to compete with the big teams in the league, but how are you overcoming the QB gap when you run into KC or Balt or Buffalo, but you're paying your objectively lesser QB as much as or more than they are? You have neither the QB advantage or the resource advantage. So you have to just really nail all your roster building decisions at that point, or get that above average QB to have a Flacco/Foles/Eli where did that come from kind of post season performance. And that's just a lot to ask.

So, I kind of don't think there is a good option for guys in this tier, right now. The league has ruined what the market should be for these guys with deals they've handed out to like, Daniel Jones and Kyler Murray and Deshaun Watson. They can overcome this, like if they win a superbowl then no one really cares what Goff is making against the cap. But it definitely feels like any decision made around these kinds of QBs means your team is trying to succeed on hard mode, comparatively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He's better than Jimmy G or his LAR self, but Shanny and McVay realized you need a higher tier of QB to win it all and went for it with Stafford and Lance. I just don't think Goff is taking anyone to the peak.

And now Shanahan looks like a doofus for selling the farm for Trey Lance. I love coach, but in recent years maybe he (along with various others) got too cozy with the fantasy of nabbing a Josh Allen/unicorn at times. Purdy if anything, is a breath of fresh air, and more importantly a reality-check that the right guy may not have all the bells and whistles as advertised in others. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm just not sold on Tua ever getting a team to the Superbowl and I've stated that in the past. But I would pay QBs like Goff and Dak for sure. People seem to think it's easy to get QBs like Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, and Burrow, but it's not. You'd more than likely have to have a top five pick and pray and hope that the draft you're picking in has one of those guys it in.  Finding a better QB or one that's equivalent to Goff is tough, especially where they expect to be picking in future drafts, so this is a good deal. 

Honestly besides stats and flash, Herbert has done nothing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Honestly besides stats and flash, Herbert has done nothing. 

Gotta watch the games and film. There's a reason why so many analysts have him in the top 7 of QB rankings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Not that there is anything wrong with that??? This basically describes Steve Young's HOF career. 

I just wonder how Goff will fare if Ben Johnson leaves and the supporting offense declines due to injury/attrition.

If I were DET I would have just given this contract to Lamar Jackson last offseason. It's pretty much the same except Lamar's is 5 years and Goff is 4. That would be money better spent.