Netflix acquires rights to Christmas Day games

RaidersAreOne

Its different in Canada, all the games are on local networks. TNF from Amazon, Playoff game on Peacock, etc were all on TSN or Sportsnet (forget which). Don't need a subscription which is nice. I'm sure these Netflix games will be the same

It would be annoying having to pay for subscription services for each game or going to a bar for sure though. Even signing up for 1 month and cancelling is a hassle 

1 hour ago, Whicker said:

Netflix
Peacock
Amazon Prime
ESPN+
YouTube TV

I’m just tryna watch football man

Just make sure you get the seat change button so that you can nab one with good viewing angles of the TVs

If someone feels like they are in a bind, perhaps they can try paying for a VPN, and then getting the international edition of NFL Gamepass. I've had that for years now, and every game is just on there.  I don't pay for a VPN since I'm already overseas, but a VPN + international Gamepass is probably still cheaper than having to subscribe to all of these services just for football. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

1. I imagine that this is built into the cost analysis and doesn't have nearly the detrimental short term ramifications that make it meaningful. You're talking about 4 fanbases that are impacted (are there 2 christmas games, or 3?), removing those who don't have netflix, and then adjusting for ones who actually would be upset enough to do something meaningful and wouldn't come back if the NFL reverted back.  I just don't know that there's a large enough group that is going to . Fans are goldfish...the next year, their team isn't on christmas and those fans cease to care, a new set is upset for a week, and round and round we go. I just don't think there's enough here to matter. 

2. In a grander scope, I could agree with this. I don't think the NFL should deviate too much from Sunday / Monday games (with saturday games after college end).  The NFL is basically the last grasp of any sort of concentrated monoculture we have in that regard, i think. But I don't think this is the same thing because this is very specifci and isolated to a set of games - Christmas. The NFL could just as easily be starting a new tradition with this with families getting together to watch Christmas games. So you still have your sunday / monday / thanksgiving tradition, but now you have Christmas too. That's not their priority, of course...their priority is money...but a smaller tradition based on streamer is still a bigger tradition than they had on Christmas as it stands. I do agree that they do need to avoid losing the grip of tradition they have on sunday / monday during fall and winter though. That's what keeps them where they are. 

I recognize these are all small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but I think we should take stock as to how much the product has been diluted in the name of selling us football. Even if you ignore concussion related things like kickoffs, we have Thursday night games, games in London/Mexico City and now Germany/Brazil with no signs of slowing down, 17 games and 2 extra playoff spots for reduced competition, but not even more football as a result because we have more byes and fewer preseason games, a vicious cycle of fantasy football/gambling driving more offensive rules which leads to more people gambling which increases that pressure, and above all a more and more naked appeal to the reality TV side. The half time shows are bigger products, everything has a teaser for a release date for a release like a movie, but apart from marketing the NFL hasn't invested in their product in really any meaningful way.

And yet costs are going up, not down. I'm sure they have market research that says the average fan is satisfied enough or not going anywhere, but Gen Alpha has to be looking at us old dudes wondering why we keep letting ourselves get ripped off. At $6/month for Peacock to watch the Premier League, I'd flip to soccer too.

• Like 1

I was reading about this on another board when I got sense of where this will eventually go. How long before they contract with HBO to make the Super Bowl a pay-per-view event?

15 hours ago, August4th said:

one of these streaming sites is eventually going to be apart of the Superbowl rotation...oh and if you want to watch the halftime show? that's a 19.99 add-on lol 

A $20 add on that i won’t be buying. Boom.

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I recognize these are all small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but I think we should take stock as to how much the product has been diluted in the name of selling us football. Even if you ignore concussion related things like kickoffs, we have Thursday night games, games in London/Mexico City and now Germany/Brazil with no signs of slowing down, 17 games and 2 extra playoff spots for reduced competition, but not even more football as a result because we have more byes and fewer preseason games, a vicious cycle of fantasy football/gambling driving more offensive rules which leads to more people gambling which increases that pressure, and above all a more and more naked appeal to the reality TV side. The half time shows are bigger products, everything has a teaser for a release date for a release like a movie, but apart from marketing the NFL hasn't invested in their product in really any meaningful way.

And yet costs are going up, not down. I'm sure they have market research that says the average fan is satisfied enough or not going anywhere, but Gen Alpha has to be looking at us old dudes wondering why we keep letting ourselves get ripped off. At $6/month for Peacock to watch the Premier League, I'd flip to soccer too.

My viewership of football has went way, way down over the last few years.

I’m not paying extra for five or six different streaming platforms just to watch the games, the quality itself is way down with them not being able to determine what a catch is or isn’t, the refs just downright being awful and whether intentionally or unintentionally swaying the way a game goes with bad calls at crucial moments, and a variety of other issues. 

Sometimes less is more and it’s a lesson Goodell and the owners could stand to learn. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, D82 said:

I’m not paying extra for five or six different streaming platforms just to watch the games, the quality itself is way down with them not being able to determine what a catch is or isn’t, the refs just downright being awful and whether intentionally or unintentionally swaying the way a game goes with bad calls at crucial moments, and a variety of other issues. 

Sometimes less is more and it’s a lesson Goodell and the owners could stand to learn. 

Yep, and I realize my post is very, very old man yells at cloud. The general population of this website is aging out or has aged out of the 18-35 demo, or at least the part that really drives decisions, so that's probably what we're feeling.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

16 hours ago, Whicker said:

Netflix
Peacock
Amazon Prime
ESPN+
YouTube TV

I’m just tryna watch football man

So we will be paying subscription fees AND still watching commercials? Remind me how this is any different than cable now? lol

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, and I realize my post is very, very old man yells at cloud. The general population of this website is aging out or has aged out of the 18-35 demo, or at least the part that really drives decisions, so that's probably what we're feeling.

I'm 34 and feel this way xD

30 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

So we will be paying subscription fees AND still watching commercials? Remind me how this is any different than cable now? lol

It's not much different - and that's the issue. When streaming first started it was a fantastic alternative to cable and a great money-saver. But god forbid these networks and CEOs aren't getting money for their third or fourth vacation home, so capitalism had to enter the conversation and ruin it (just like it does so many other things).

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 8:44 AM, RavensTillIDie said:

The difference is you can easily pay for one month and cancel. And cancelling in general is about 5000 times easier than cable.

They're also a lot cheaper once you get past the first year or whatever promo price cable offers these days, and it doesn't cost extra to watch on multiple TVs

On 5/16/2024 at 4:00 AM, D82 said:

My viewership has continually gone up, and the NFL is more popular than ever.

Could not disagree more with the comment about less being more, and general viewership and engagement of the NFL shows you are in the VAST minority on that.

The only annoying one is ESPN+. Most people I know have or have access to all the streaming services listed.

Also, Sunday Ticket moving to YouTube was amazing (cost $100 last year with a student email). Sunday Ticket exclusive to DirecTV was awful