Who had a HOF caliber start to their career but dropped off significantly?

Kiwibrown

Watching some Jimmy Graham highlights and that dude looked like a freak at the start of his career. He then dropped off after knee injuries and hung around made a pro bowl or two but isn't considered a hofer.

Shawne Merriman… Danario Alexander, Shane Olivea, Marcus McNeil, really a long list of guys that had momentum, got hurt and never came back the same. Never know when a game is your last one. David Boston? 

19 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Shawne Merriman… Danario Alexander, Shane Olivea, Marcus McNeil, really a long list of guys that had momentum, got hurt and never came back the same. Never know when a game is your last one. David Boston? 

David Boston career lost to vitamin T overdosing.

Just now, Forge said:

Zeke's first 4 years were the start of a real hof career

Legit. His running style was always going to wear quickly. 

Also probably didn't ha e the off season commitment to make the HOF

• Like 1

Lots of RBs, I imagine. Ezekiel Elliott is who I thought of first, before googling stats. Averaged 1,756 YFS in his first four seasons (1350 rushing) and 12 TDs. Arian Foster in his first three years as a starter averaged 1,900 YFS (1,421 rushing) and 15.7 TDs. Thats kind of the thing, though. It’s not necessarily rare to see a young running back put up great numbers in their early years. What makes them HOFers is much more about being able to be a bit more consistent past age 26 and/or really blowing the competition out the water.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leoric said:

HOF?

1 hour ago, Leoric said:

I can remember when Dallas took a ton of heat by drafting DeMarcus Ware over Merriman.

Ware and I have the same birthday so I always followed his career more closely than other players.

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Lots of RBs, I imagine. Ezekiel Elliott is who I thought of first, before googling stats. Averaged 1,756 YFS in his first four seasons (1350 rushing) and 12 TDs. Arian Foster in his first three years as a starter averaged 1,900 YFS (1,421 rushing) and 15.7 TDs. Thats kind of the thing, though. It’s not necessarily rare to see a young running back put up great numbers in their early years. What makes them HOFers is much more about being able to be a bit more consistent past age 26 and/or really blowing the competition out the water.

Yeah, I think you're right about the running backs. Chris Johnson had 10K YFS, 58 TDs by the time he was 28. An OPOY award too. 

Alvin Kamara has 10K YFS, 77 TD at the same point of his career (where he's at currently) 

CMC 10.5K YFS, 81 TD I think