Who had a HOF caliber start to their career but dropped off significantly?

Kiwibrown

I'd argue Flacco could be on this list.

His first 5 years he had pretty good regular seasons to go along with a 9-4 playoff record and Super Bowl win plus MVP.

The Ravens paid him, and he severely regressed (outside the one Gary Kubiak as OC season in 2014).

But it felt like at the end of 2012 he was definitely a possible HOF candidate if he either put up some better regular seasons or continued to have postseason success. He did neither.

8 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Seems like a lot of edge rushers, RBs and WR, when I think about a list like this.  Just for some people I haven't seen mentioned:  I think Donovan McNabb looked like a future HoF'er at one point.  Vick definitely had a path that I don't think would have surprised many people.  Aldon Smith and Shawne Merriman were already mentioned.  Jevon Kearse looked like a future all-timer early on.  He had the media hype behind him, too.  Pre-Washington Dana Stubblefield and Albert Haynesworth.  Ricky Williams.  

McNabb only threw 200ish tds. Felt like he would have been at 350-400 eith how long he played and perceived quality. 

Dude looked over bulked in Washington.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Soko said:

Lots of RBs, I imagine. Ezekiel Elliott is who I thought of first, before googling stats. Averaged 1,756 YFS in his first four seasons (1350 rushing) and 12 TDs. Arian Foster in his first three years as a starter averaged 1,900 YFS (1,421 rushing) and 15.7 TDs. Thats kind of the thing, though. It’s not necessarily rare to see a young running back put up great numbers in their early years. What makes them HOFers is much more about being able to be a bit more consistent past age 26 and/or really blowing the competition out the water.

Yeah add Jamal Lewis to the RB list

1300+ yards rookie year, missed 2nd season with ACL, 1300+ yards 3rd season, 2000+ yards 4th season 

Guy averaged 1500+ yards rushing against essentially 9 man boxes his first 3 years

Dude just wore down 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Sterling Sharpe - Injuries

Eddie George - Wear and tear over time due to over usage

Ricky Waters - “For what? For who?” interview

Fragile Fred Taylor

Greg Lloyd - Injuries

Just some that came to mind 

Ricky Watters didn't drop off though. He was pretty good for three different teams, and had a quality curtain-call season to end his career like Tiki Barber. Sadly like Tiki, the public perception has held him back in the eyes of HOF voters. Shame, because I think Watters along with Barber are good enough to get enshrined. I mean if Curtis Martin is in...

13 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Eddie George

? He isn't HOF material? 

On 5/16/2024 at 9:25 PM, Leoric said:

David Boston? 

? He had one big year. One of the biggest WR busts ever.

It's a small sample size, but I'd add Curt (not Kurt) Warner. Huge rookie year, blew out his knee, and was never the same (the long storied Penn State RB injury curse is pretty impressive...).

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bomont said:

As the old saying goes, stats are for losers. The guy was a top RB for enough years IMO to merit a HOF consideration

Which guy? 

Eddie George. Nothing about him is hof. 

He hardly had any years where he was a top rb. He was behind Faulk and Edge james early 2000s. 

Not as good as Jerome Bettis. 

Behind Alexander and Priest Holmes. 

Eddie Geroge wasn't helped by Jeff Fisher and his high school offense. 

Edited by Kiwibrown