Teams you think are overrated or underrated at this point

bomont

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There's one team that's the answer to both:

The Steelers.

There's people who love the idea of Russ and Fields in the building, pairing with a run based offense and a top 10 defense that feel like they could win a playoff game. And then there's people who thing signing Russ and trading for Fields will sink the team and will finish 5 wins or less. It's interesting to be both at the same time because people go to extremes with them and there's no middle ground.

So I think that the people who have them penciled in as a playoff team and possibly winning one are overrating them and people who thing 5 wins will be the best case are underrating them. I think win total can be between 7-10, fringe making the playoffs, and will need the right matchup to win a playoff game. The reality is this roster hasn't been good enough to win a playoff game since 2020, but the coaching has been overall good enough to prevent a bottoming out. I think that's always going to keep these extremes in opinion going when you know a team 'needs' to just do one or the other.

They have a decent roster and have drafted well of late.  QB is where people lose faith.

Wilson is 35 and hasn't looked good in awhile, not always terrible, but not good.  He has been common denominator with 3 different coaches so maybe the problem isn't everybody else.  People think QBs can be good forever just because Brady and Rodgers and Brees played well into later years.  That doesn't make it the new rule.

Fields won't be getting proper reps to improve with Russell in front of him.

I have a hunch Fields will be starting after Thanksgiving.  All that being said Steeler can seemingly always go 9-8 or so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They have a decent roster and have drafted well of late.  QB is where people lose faith.

Wilson is 35 and hasn't looked good in awhile, not always terrible, but not good.  He has been common denominator with 3 different coaches so maybe the problem isn't everybody else.  People think QBs can be good forever just because Brady and Rodgers and Brees played well into later years.  That doesn't make it the new rule.

I have a hunch Fields will be starting after Thanksgiving.  All that being said Steeler can seemingly always go 9-8 or so.

That kinda more makes my point though. 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 we had bottom of the league QB play by every metric and were still right there anyways. So when people say overrated because 5 wins is likely, what does that make those years? Miracles?

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That kinda more makes my point though. 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 we had bottom of the league QB play by every metric and were still right there anyways. So when people say overrated because 5 wins is likely, what does that make those years? Miracles?

Somebody posted on Twitter a poll with the resigning of Tomlin.

What will the Steelers 2024 record be?

All the options were 9-8.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Somebody posted on Twitter a poll with the resigning of Tomlin.

What will the Steelers 2024 record be?

All the options were 9-8.

IMO the division on Tomlin the last 7 years is wild. It’s been a declining roster for a while, that drafted poorly from 16-22, and (again ImO) mismanaged the cap. I feel from 2020-2023 we really overachieved relative to the roster quality. 

Personally I think this roster is a 9-8 or 8-9 roster I think the difference between a 5 win and 9 win season with this team would be coaching, and same for 9 win or playoff win. 

I also feel like 2022/23 were season of that was a 4-6 win roster that got willed to winning records (FYI is you turned all out one score wins into losses, that is what the record is). 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

IMO the division on Tomlin the last 7 years is wild. It’s been a declining roster for a while, that drafted poorly from 16-22, and (again ImO) mismanaged the cap. I feel from 2020-2023 we really overachieved relative to the roster quality. 

Personally I think this roster is a 9-8 or 8-9 roster I think the difference between a 5 win and 9 win season with this team would be coaching, and same for 9 win or playoff win. 

I also feel like 2022/23 were season of that was a 4-6 win roster that got willed to winning records (FYI is you turned all out one score wins into losses, that is what the record is). 

Steelers keeping their coaches long term is stabilizing.

Stable in football is worth some wins.  You have to respect and listen to coach because he was there when you started and he will be there when you are gone.  Establishing a program in football wins games at every level.  It is hard to do in NFL because of personnel turnover.  

Often you catch lightening in a bottle early with a new coach as other division coaches have to learn new tendencies.  But that doesn't last.

More teams should do things the Steelers way.  When you have a competent coach and good leader.  Keep him through some losing seasons.  It's probably the roster more so than him.  They lack the patience to do so.

It's a 32 team tournament in a league designed for parity. Obviously everyone can't win it every year.  You shouldn't expect that.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A few key injuries will sink any team.  Granted any injury to a 40 year old QB is more difficult to come back from.

Starting QB injury tanking a teams SB/CC hopes is granted, I was thinking more like "if they lose their best OL, the rest of their OL is a bunch of JAGs and their in trouble" 

2 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Starting QB injury tanking a teams SB/CC hopes is granted, I was thinking more like "if they lose their best OL, the rest of their OL is a bunch of JAGs and their in trouble" 

Most NFL teams have no OL depth.  OL has been a problem in NFL for years.  

A really good OL coach can mask it.  A QB who can make quick decisions can mask it.  An excellent running team can mask it.  Or some combination. 

For most other teams they are out of contention for that year if they lose their best OL for season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Steelers keeping their coaches long term is stabilizing.

Stable in football is worth some wins.  You have to respect and listen to coach because he was there when you started and he will be there when you are gone.  Establishing a program in football wins games at every level.  It is hard to do in NFL because of personnel turnover.  

Often you catch lightening in a bottle early with a new coach as other division coaches have to learn new tendencies.  But that doesn't last.

More teams should do things the Steelers way.  When you have a competent coach and good leader.  Keep him through some losing seasons.  It's probably the roster more so than him.  They lack the patience to do so.

It's a 32 team tournament in a league designed for parity. Obviously everyone can't win it every year.  You shouldn't expect that.  

So this is my feeling basically to a T. You can’t expect to keep winning, keep being in the playoffs, keep being a team with a shot at the SB (even outside) if you aren’t stable and don’t have good coaching. Personally I feel these last few years that was our “losing roster” period but just didn’t do it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Fields will start sooner than that. I'll be amazed if Wilson isn't retired after this year or next at most. With Fields I can see sneaking into the playoffs, but little more.

Edited by bomont

I feel like the Niners are the best team In the NFC. They have no weakness and Purdy will continue to get better. Nothing but injuries can ruin their season! And I think they’re due for that bug again since it always hits them. They were quite lucky last year. But I just feel like they’re a Damm good team and are really loaded. They can only get better(offensively and defensively) They have so much experience and seasoned vets it’s disgusting. At this point it’s a factory of excellent play. Their defense was really bad but that was because they lost their bootleg Troy P. 

I feel like McVay has turned the Rams into what what the old pats use to be. Despite having top heavy talent they have a bunch of hungry players. The Rams are really well coached. They have a Damm great oline and a monster game. You can’t pack the box because the WRs will just destroy you! The 11 personal leads to so many great matchups it’s quite unfair. Mcvay has built such a great culture it has rubbed off on everyone. The defense is very young! But it’s very explosive. Our back end was improved x100.. The offense has potential to avg 33 a game.. Kyren was the second best RB last year! Can argue #1 if he had stayed healthy.. He has a nose for the end zone. 

I think the packers are overrated. I think their run was fools gold. I’m not a believer in Jordan Love despite playing ok.. Dunno and their defense will always be booty to me. You can’t wipe that stench off them. 

I think the Texans are overrated as well. Rarely do teams who spend big bucks on FA reap the benefits. I think adding a player like Diggs is a huge negative. Trash attitude and mindset, he’s a super selfish player… He’s past his prime.. Cj is good but I’m not sure he’s that good..

I think the raiders are as as. 

Dallas could go 16-0 and they’ll still be as as. 

Lions could be good. Depends what Goff shows up. If it’s Bambi Goff they’re cooked. 

Eagles 🦅 went thru a roller coaster of a season. You just don’t wipe that stench off by hiring new OC and Dc. It’s a deep rooted issue. Not sure what they brought back the crying Italian. I think Hurts struggles to read defenses and run an offense that doesn’t require a man grabbing his as from the back. 

losing the flip flop guy will hurt. They’re won’t be another guy crying every time he  recites a Disney speech inside the locker room.

I think the bengals are the class of the AFC. I pray to Aaron Donald that Joey Cool stays healthy.

Jets are trash. More overrated than the cowboys. This ain’t MVP Rodgers. This is a dude on DMT 24-7! Dudes summoning demons with whatever is inside his Gatorade..  

Bears could be this years Texans. You can’t deny their crazy good offensive potential. 
I think they’ll surprised a ton of people and avg a whopping 16 PPG, 14 better than last year. 

Vikings would be my fav lock! But they drafted Mac Jones twin sister. That pick was worse than Michael Penix. Dude was touted to be a 3rd round pick. Absolutely disgusting for that hot garbage to have the privilege to look at Jettas beauty every day. This is Christina Ponder 2.0.. Desperate teams making desperate choices…. there’s nothing in his game that would get me exited. If I had a grampa and he was a Vikings fan! I think I would have killed him if I told him who we drafted. A shock to the system and very depressive. 

Colts have an amazing Qb! Too bad he’s related to Mr. Glass. 

The cardinals LOL. 

Chargers would look great! But they drafted a fat RT when they had an All pro LT already. Should have drafted WRs to help Herbert. 

Falcons could be really good. I think they win the south. On paper their Offense is disgusting! They’re loaded with potential. Why did they draft a 35 year old Back up though? Disgusting. 

Bucs take a step back. Mayfield got paid and people believe in him now. He plays way better with a chip on his shoulder. Back to those crappy progressive commercials for the baker man.. 

did I mention the raiders suck? They kept a soccer rah rah coach who can crip walk instead of hiring a Football HC.. What can you expect from that team when their owner is going full Robert Kraft in the off season. 

Steelers lol. Another 9-8 season and you’ll have fans pounding the table that Tomlin has yet to have a losing season. How he’s the only HC in the world who could have pulled that feat off! Brother what is that eww gif. 

Broncos. Let’s ride to a top pick. Give me the Elway Alzheimer’s and let us forget for another 5 more years. That team is in hell, purgatory and all the below terms. 

Bills are hella dope. Too much hate. In Josh we trust. They got a Cold mofo at QB! That boy cold. I don’t think they’ll lose 56 guys to the injury bug. 

Titans nation! They got a Qb with a huge cannon and a decent arm. Dude shouldn’t be throwing the ball! He should be filming movies! Got Damm the brother is packing.

Ravens added another QB in Henry. Let’s see if can run the ball as good as Lamar.. Theyll

be a great regular team! And will lose to a 7–10 team that slumps in to the playoffs! You’ll have Vens fans screaming MVP MVP MVP! 2 time MVP. 

Seahawks are 2 years away. They have scary good pieces… 

Saints are still paying Reggie bush money. they pushed all their contracts to far. They have a crappy TE, WR, FB, RB and back up QB in one body paying him like an elite player. 
plus their QB wears eye liner. 

Panthers will be good by the year 2078. 

Washington drafted a future bust at Qb. Jason Campbell 2.0.. 

Pats drafted a future top 5 QB. That dude is going to be amazing. The goat is back. the last qb I felt so strongly about this was Jimmy Clausen. So buyer beware. 

Browns will probably suck. What can go wrong will.. 

Giants are going wherever Waller goes.. Just please stop the rap career. 

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2024 at 2:27 PM, sparky151 said:

Steelers don't have much at receiver. Pickens is ok but after him, who can make plays? 

While you are correct, its not much different than the last couple years.

Sure, Dionte Johnson is/was far better than anyone we currently have behind Pickens, but he was also extremely inconsistent and endlessly frustrating, and had the attitude of a top 5 WR when he wasn't even top 30.

Still, Id definitely take him back over what we have now....but that speaks more to how bad we are at WR.

HOWEVER....this team will be a run heavy team looking to get the TEs involved more.   Najee and Warren are a really good 1-2 punch at RB, and Friermuth can definitely be a top 10 RECEIVING TE if used effectively and he stays healthy.

The Steelers definitely need someone to step up at WR, but this has the look of a Cowher-ball offense right now.    Wont be breaking any records, but COULD be more effective than any offense we've had in the last 5 years....which isn't saying much since our offense has been horrendous since 2018.

On 6/11/2024 at 6:17 AM, warfelg said:

There's one team that's the answer to both:

The Steelers.

There's people who love the idea of Russ and Fields in the building, pairing with a run based offense and a top 10 defense that feel like they could win a playoff game. And then there's people who thing signing Russ and trading for Fields will sink the team and will finish 5 wins or less. It's interesting to be both at the same time because people go to extremes with them and there's no middle ground.

So I think that the people who have them penciled in as a playoff team and possibly winning one are overrating them and people who thing 5 wins will be the best case are underrating them. I think win total can be between 7-10, fringe making the playoffs, and will need the right matchup to win a playoff game. The reality is this roster hasn't been good enough to win a playoff game since 2020, but the coaching has been overall good enough to prevent a bottoming out. I think that's always going to keep these extremes in opinion going when you know a team 'needs' to just do one or the other.

The Steelers are good for 9 wins (9-10 range).  Until Tomlin has a losing season or gets his next franchise QB (I don't believe in Wilson or Fields), you aren't going to get much different.  No reason to overrate or underrate that team.  They are the very definition of "slightly above average."

On 6/14/2024 at 7:44 AM, El Ramster said:

I think the raiders are as as. 

did I mention the raiders suck? They kept a soccer rah rah coach who can crip walk instead of hiring a Football HC.. What can you expect from that team when their owner is going full Robert Kraft in the off season.

I assume you're probably venting your frustration that A. Donald retired by talking smack about the favorite team in LA.  

Elaborate on the bold.  What do you mean by M. Davis going full Robert Kraft?  Mark Davis has done nothing wrong to anyone, so I don't really understand why you're talking smack about him.  Again, I assume your post was submitted while you were intoxicated/inebriated/medicated and weeping while staring at your favorite picture of A. Donald on your computer desk.  I am sorry for your loss.

• Like 1