Official 2025 QB Thread

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Breakout candidate of the year right here. 

Howard has definitely been run-first, which seems to be a theme at KSU going back a ways. 

That said, I don't see Ohio St bringing in QBs they're not convinced can throw. Mix in the improved weapons and Chip Kelly at OC and you've got a guy who is going to be put in arguably one of the best positions to succeed- if he can indeed be a good passer. 

No offense to KSU, but Howard used the portal to upgrade everything about his surroundings and his own platform for recognition. If he works out at all for Ohio St, his name is going to start generating some buzz fairly quickly. 

I think he's going to be a super intriguing prospect. We use the term "boom or bust" a lot, but it fits here so well. If he booms, it'll probably be atomic. If he busts, it'll be very obvious that he just doesn't have "it". 

It depends on the development of WRs on Ohio State in Ballard, Tate and Inniss.  Even Emeka is good but not sure he is super elite so it is not like Howard has a ton of proven weapons to throw to.  Sure better weapons than he had on Kansas State but even TE is not super proven yet on Ohio State either.

Also Chip Kelly has a major QB run game while he has been in college DTR on UCLA then last year with Schlee.  No way he will not have a big QB run game with Will Howard.

People will love his size no question but not sure he will improve that much as a passer, and it is not like Ohio State is not going to run the ball with him, Judkins and Henderson.  That is the strength of their team offensively, not the WR core or TE group.  I would be surprised to see Will Howard take that big of a jump honestly, not sure it is in him arm talent wise but we will see.  He did do well last year but had Sinnott to throw to and Brooks plus a really strong run game of course.  

On 5/21/2024 at 11:58 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Beck Sanders Ewers and ultimately even Millroe will go in the 1st round. If Millroe can take a step forward as a passer this will be a lot less controversial.

That's exactly what I see happening. 

My guess after that is Leonard and Ward fit somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 11:58 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Beck Sanders Ewers and ultimately even Millroe will go in the 1st round. If Millroe can take a step forward as a passer this will be a lot less controversial.

I'm just not high on this draft class.

Beck screams classic round 2 QB who will end up getting a chance to start late in his rookie year or in his 2nd year, and then go on to become an alright career backup.
Sanders seems like a bust waiting to happen. Also don't want the primetime circus. 
Ewers... I could see it, need to see him take a step forward right now though. Not a top 5 pick right now if you ask me.
Milroe... has potential, but I really want to see him develop his game mechnically and mentally. He's raw, but doesn't have unlimited potential like a Josh Allen.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Beck screams classic round 2 QB who will end up getting a chance to start late in his rookie year or in his 2nd year, and then go on to become an alright career backup.
Sanders seems like a bust waiting to happen. Also don't want the primetime circus. 
Ewers... I could see it, need to see him take a step forward right now though. Not a top 5 pick right now if you ask me.
Milroe... has potential, but I really want to see him develop his game mechnically and mentally. He's raw, but doesn't have unlimited potential like a Josh Allen.

I think this is a reasonable take but they’re getting drafted in a year. Some will get better and others will get worse.

• Like 1

What’s going on with Ewers? He’s weird in that I see people say he’s got a noodle arm and then other scouts saying he’s got a cannon, which I thought was the narrative when he was coming out of HS. Then I watched tape of him under throwing WRs at Texas. Weird…I can’t get a good gauge on this cat. 

43 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What's the deal with Drew Allar?

Has all the tools, but Penn State and their poor coaching staff is holding him back IMO. Hard to get a read on how much he mentally understands the game at this time IMO.

Penn State's offensive coordinators have all sucked from 2020-2023. And of course James Franklin's a bum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Has all the tools, but Penn State and their poor coaching staff is holding him back IMO. Hard to get a read on how much he mentally understands the game at this time IMO.

Penn State's offensive coordinators have all sucked from 2020-2023. And of course James Franklin's a bum.

Yeah the offense Penn State was running is freaking dreadful. It’s high school level crap…but worse. 

23 hours ago, Armbar said:

What’s going on with Ewers? He’s weird in that I see people say he’s got a noodle arm and then other scouts saying he’s got a cannon, which I thought was the narrative when he was coming out of HS. Then I watched tape of him under throwing WRs at Texas. Weird…I can’t get a good gauge on this cat. 

I haven't watched a ton of his film but IDK how anyone says he has a noodle arm. He doesn't have a cannon IMO but his arm has plenty of life to it. If the average NFL QB is a 5/10 I'd say his is a 6.5, maybe a 7 when he can learn to really use mechanics to his advantage. Accuracy can be all over though for sure. 

I think some of his underthrows are like Fields was in CHI, more than enough arm to complete the pass but aiming too much and trying to get the perfect loft and just underthrowing it. When he rips it he has plenty of velocity though. 

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I haven't watched a ton of his film but IDK how anyone says he has a noodle arm. He doesn't have a cannon IMO but his arm has plenty of life to it. If the average NFL QB is a 5/10 I'd say his is a 6.5-7. Accuracy can be all over though for sure. 

I think some of his underthrows are like Fields was in CHI, more than enough arm to complete the pass but aiming too much and trying to get the perfect loft and just underthrowing it. When he rips it he has plenty of velocity though. 

Yeah it’s weird. He was considered the OSU QB with the most pure arm talent when he signed on, but go watch highlights of Xavier Worthy. Underthrows for days. Weird. 

On 5/23/2024 at 9:34 AM, Danger said:

Agree with all except Beck. He's got size, arm talent and mobility. He's accurate, throws with anticipation and processes things quickly.

He's not flashy, but has prototype size and intangibles of an NFL starter. I see a lot of Matt Ryan in his game. He's going to make it look easy this season.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 11:02 AM, lavar703 said:

I think Ewers probably loses the job to Manning by about week 5. 

I think that would be surprising, as if Ewers was bad last year which he was not.  And they have so much talent around him, solid OL, weapons with Bond, Golden and Bolden then Niblack, then Baxter and Blue at RB.  Ewers is benched if they lose and with a solid supporting cast not sure he will fail on the field that much.  

And benching him after most likely destroying UL Monroe week 4 and going to play Miss State.  That just does not make sense unless Michigan destroys them week 2 but honestly Texas could win that football game no question.  

Manning will get his shots but more likely in blowouts, to full bench Ewers that would be to be multiple losses in a row for that.

On 5/27/2024 at 12:02 PM, lavar703 said:

I think Ewers probably loses the job to Manning by about week 5. 

Meh, I dunno. He was good last year for the most part, and... despite the move... how brutal is Texas schedule? Michigan, but that could be a vastly different team. Georgia of course. It's not a cupcake, but I don't think it's brutal. 

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Meh, I dunno. He was good last year for the most part, and... despite the move... how brutal is Texas schedule? Michigan, but that could be a vastly different team. Georgia of course. It's not a cupcake, but I don't think it's brutal. 

It’s just a hunch. I think it ends up like the Rattler-Williams situation. I could totally be wrong however.