Basically Randall to FS Thread

ChaRisMa

It's not 1996. 

You have 5 starting positions in your defensive backfield. Leave Randall at the Star/Slot CB position. Don't mess with one of about 3 things on this defense that's actually working. That slot CB role is hugely important. More so than FS. 

Bring back Burnett and House.

CB#1: King/Rookie

CB#2: House/Hawkins

Slot #1: Randall/Rollins

SS: Burnett/Jones

FS: HHCD/Brice/Evans

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not 1996. 

You have 5 starting positions in your defensive backfield. Leave Randall at the Star/Slot CB position. Don't mess with one of about 3 things on this defense that's actually working. That slot CB role is hugely important. More so than FS. 

Bring back Burnett and House.

CB#1: King/Rookie

CB#2: House/Hawkins

Slot #1: Randall/Rollins

SS: Burnett/Jones

FS: HHCD/Brice/Evans

See I’m not sold on House or Burnett. Burnett has been good, not great. And any credit you give him for being the communicator goes to the wayside because the defense stunk.

House has been injured and nothing more or less than serviceable. I’m in favor of bringing him back as a backstop and veteran voice but we could definitely find a better player on Sunday.

15 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Im with Green. Randall just starting playing really well at CB why move him and have him go through growing pains again. Haha is so passive at FS that I dont dare watch him at SS.

I think you put Ha Ha in a different scheme, one in which he doesn't have to think as much you'll see a much better football player. Gosh atleast I hope so.

6 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

See I’m not sold on House or Burnett. Burnett has been good, not great. And any credit you give him for being the communicator goes to the wayside because the defense stunk.

House has been injured and nothing more or less than serviceable. I’m in favor of bringing him back as a backstop and veteran voice but we could definitely find a better player on Sunday.

I suppose I did a bad job of explaining that. I'd rather have he and an early round rookie competing for snaps.

And I think Burnett is a good player and a guy you want to have around with his versatility. 

So we want to take our best CB and move him to safety? I'll pass.

The guy shut down Josh Gordon and Devin Funchess. What are we gaining by moving him? Also, how does it help HaHa to move him more in Burnett's role? HaHa is a good FS, he just has to play better next year.

Is there a place to find out how many snaps Burnett played at LB ?

I never liked the idea of putting Burnett in traffic. I thought it was too much of an injury risk and thought Brice was built better to handle it.

Never thought of the communication aspect and how it would affect HHCD. We may never know how much moving Burnett around affected everyone, but it's the only moving part from last year that could explain HHCD's regression. I still can't stop thinking that you lose more than you gain by playing Burnett there. Keep Burnett playing deep and use Brice or someone else for that package like you did with Richardson

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Okay so basically let’s throw this idea around.

CB: King

FS: Randall

SS: Clinton-Dix

CB: Highest CB Draft Pick

Thoughts?

I think you're on the money. Yes, Randall played better this year, but his best position is where he was in college- safety.  Burnett was serviceable and not much more. He only looked good compared to the rest of the oft-injured DBs.  HaHa needs some kind of change to shake him up. He played poorly this year.  Way below where he's capable of playing.  The other thing is that our back up safeties, Brice and Evans, haven't improved much and Whitehead seemed to pass them by.  I just don't think Capers and Company were using the players to their best abilities and the move you suggest is the first step toward correcting that.  Also, Herb Waters is coming back next year, he is going to be 2nd or 3rd CB, mark it down.

I'm with Green's first comment on this. Our secondary is just fine when they're healthy, but our front-7 has been atrocious for two years now. They can't get pressure consistently, they can't stay healthy, and the healthy guys seem to produce less and less as time moves on. This is clearly a schematic issue more than a specific player issue. 

Also, is it just me, or was House brought back to be a two year stop-gap until King takes over the starting position?

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

I think you're on the money. Yes, Randall played better this year, but his best position is where he was in college- safety.  Burnett was serviceable and not much more. He only looked good compared to the rest of the oft-injured DBs.  HaHa needs some kind of change to shake him up. He played poorly this year.  Way below where he's capable of playing.  The other thing is that our back up safeties, Brice and Evans, haven't improved much and Whitehead seemed to pass them by.  I just don't think Capers and Company were using the players to their best abilities and the move you suggest is the first step toward correcting that.  Also, Herb Waters is coming back next year, he is going to be 2nd or 3rd CB, mark it down.

I agree HHCD would benefit from some kind of change. Someone other than Burnett would be different but not necessarily better. I think his performance this year was underrated. 

Herb Waters gonna get cut as soon as he's medically cleared. 

I like putting Randall in position to make plays. I'm not sure he has the size for FS.

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm with Green's first comment on this. Our secondary is just fine when they're healthy, but our front-7 has been atrocious for two years now. They can't get pressure consistently, they can't stay healthy, and the healthy guys seem to produce less and less as time moves on. This is clearly a schematic issue more than a specific player issue. 

Also, is it just me, or was House brought back to be a two year stop-gap until King takes over the starting position?

Our secondary is NEVER healthy. At some point thats a culmination of the wear and tear those bodies have on them. Its weird how certain guys are ALWAYS battling injury. Clay. Randall. House. Rollins. Burnett. Ryan. Perry. Brooks. The list goes on. At some point you have to think the toll of football in making its impression felt.

HaHa is the one I just can’t figure out. So bad this year. I don’t know if he needs some type of change or he’s just this pathetic. Im not too worried about Jones moving forward. First year safety should improve. 

As for Randall I’d rather keep him where he’s at. Right now our CB’s need to be healthy more than anything. I like King on the outside and Randall inside so that leaves us with a ? at the other boundary spot. Can’t really rely on House and Rollins hasn’t showed anything. 

A big big time pass rusher like Prime Clay would help these guys as much as anything though. 

Archived