Jaguars extend QB Trevor Lawrence (5 years, $275M, $200M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, he did get stuck with Urban Meyer his first year. Had a very good sophomore season and was on his way to having a pretty good third season and then got hurt. I do think context matters. Also, would you take Daniel Jones over Trevor Lawrence? 

I just looked at all the QBs in the league, not including Caleb Williams or any of the other Rookies. There are 27 QBs in the NFL I'd take over Daniel Jones without hesitation.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Wasn’t he on his way to another pretty good season before getting injured? He probably shouldn’t have played through it and looked worse because of it but I don’t think he’s in some downward trajectory. He was on pace to take his team to the playoffs two years in a row before the injury. I think this place way overreacts sometimes. I mean, nobody seems to care about Jalen Hurts contract and he was basically good for one year so far. Should the Eagles dump him? 

The reason he played thru it was cuz the Alternative was CJ breathard at QB 😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I just looked at all the QBs in the league, not including Caleb Williams or any of the other Rookies. There are 27 QBs in the NFL I'd take over Daniel Jones without hesitation.

Not counting rookies there's probably 35 guys including guys who retired recently id take over Jones

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Not counting rookies there's probably 35 guys including guys who retired recently id take over Jones

Can't count recently retired guys LOL

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

My God , Jerry Jones is an idiot. Unless his master plan is to let Dak walk after another failed/wasted season? It's honestly what I believe is the plan.

I mean if Lawrence and his resume is supposedly worth $55M, WTF is Daks agent going to be asking for?

this feels like Jerry actually might find some level of satisfaction in having the highest paid QB/WR.  maybe a status symbol type thing.  

1 hour ago, Soko said:

I’m referring to Baker Mayfield getting $33M/yr in 2024 after getting to the postseason and putting up a better season than Lawrence, and Jared Goff receiving $53M/yr in 2024 after getting to the postseason and putting up a better season than Lawrence.

every team in the NFL had a chance at Baker when he was a FA and he got a $4M 1 year deal.  that was his market, so him getting less on his current deal is not really shocking.  

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Supposedly $55M is the new average QB price, when QBs who outplayed Lawrence just signed for less. The excuse was age, which doesn’t really jive for QBs that are 29.

the 5 years is something if you consider that Baker and Goff are probably at their ceiling vs Lawrence potentially is not.  JAX is doing this deal in the hope that Lawrence is ascending vs at a plateau

1 hour ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

If you were starting a team, and you could have any one of those three quarterbacks for the face of your franchise over the life of the contract, which one would you pick? 

Goff. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danger said:

That's my point. Context matters. The numbers may be similar to this point but Lawrence is clearly more talented and has shown quite a bit more ability. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's my point. Context matters. The numbers may be similar to this point but Lawrence is clearly more talented and has shown quite a bit more ability. 

I think the issue I have right now is the jury is definitely still out on Lawrence. He hasn't definitely been tracking in one way or another. He hasn't solidified himself as a perennial top 10 kind of guy, nor has he really shown signs of not being a good starting caliber QB.

I really think waiting until next offseason would've made more sense here to get some more info.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I think 45-47 is what his current market value should be based off of cap percentages and his performance to this point. 

Player "Prime" Passer Rating % of cap when signed
Joe Burrow 104.2 24.47%
Josh Allen 107.2 23.56%
Justin Herbert 96.2 23.35%
Lamar Jackson 98.1 23.13%
Patrick Mahomes 110.0 22.70%
Jalen Hurts 101.5 22.69%
Kyler Murray 97.2 22.14%
DeShaun Watson 104.5 22.09%
Dak Prescott 97.3 21.92%
Trevor Lawrence 91.9 21.53%
Jared Goff 98.3 20.75%
Matthew Stafford 101.1 19.21%
Daniel Jones 92.5 17.79%
Kirk Cousins 101.2 17.62%
Derek Carr 95.2 16.68%

I just rung this up this morning and debated whether or not to post it, because frankly, it's not scientific. But I tried to go through and get the stats of the years where the players really earned their contracts. It's very fluctuating and situational, tried to realistically high ball most guys, I suppose you could futher stretch Trevor's and remove the last month and change of 2023 to try and further highball him. You can probably do that with everyone though to some degree I imagine. But that said, this contract is FAR more speculative, whereas most of the other top paid QBs tended to earn their money with results on the field. 

To clarify before anyone asks, I was trying to use the years of someones career where they really hit their stride leading up to their deal, or where they... re-established themselves after going through a lull for some of the older guys on the list. A couple examples, Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts were both respectively just the year before they signed.  Jared Goff was year 2 and 3 of his Detroit career. Dak Prescott on the other hand was the entirety of his career leading up to his deal because while yeah he had a down year in year 2, he had a great rookie year and had been established. 

Daniel Jones was just 2022. Trevor Lawrence was 2022/2023 as a whole.

So in other words Trevor Lawrence is 6-10 points off in QB rating from the "market value", if QB rating was the only thing.

http://www.footballperspective.com/quarterback-age-curves/

Most of the quarterbacks in this study simply weren’t playing at ages 21, 22, or 23, but the ones that did performed fairly well. Still, you can see that a good bit of improvement — roughly 0.6 standard deviations — can be expected from age 24 until a quarterback hits his prime.

The average QB rating in 2023 was 91.8 +/- 9.4.

So if the average QB from 24 to his prime improves 0.6 SD, we'd expect a 6 point improvement in TLaw's QB rating by contract kick in, which would put him at about 98, right in line with the rest of the chart.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

The 2021 QB draft class:

• No. 1 Trevor Lawrence: $275 million extension
  • No. 2 Zach Wilson: Jets traded to Broncos
  • No. 3 Trey Lance: 49ers traded to Cowboys
  • No. 11 Justin Fields: Bears traded to Steelers
  • No. 15 Mac Jones: Patriots traded to Jaguars

Adam Schefter

• Like 2

Idk i’m not big on him

https://x.com/bussinwtb/status/1736571385583988941?s=46&t=SprE75WdSC7qWxfglyncGw

This was one of the funnier fumbles i’ve seen in awhile. Broadcast had a 2nd angle that was even funnier…just straight up dropped the football unprovoked before he made any contact lol reminded me of the Kyle Boller days

Edited by Ray Reed

13 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I still have what I think is a pretty simple take on these threads, which is if you have to make excuses or concessions to justify the deal (well the cap is going up, if you look at the percentages, the new money doesn't kick in until 20XX, it would be worse if they had waited, there's an out after year 20XX, supporting cast, injuries, coaching, etc.) rather than just being able to say he's obviously a great player who deserved the deal...he probably didn't deserve the deal. No one has to talk about the cap going up to justify Justin Jefferson's deal. There were no performance excuses when Mahomes or Allen or Burrow signed. No one has to deep dive the details of Aaron Donald breaking the DT market. You just look at those deals and say hey, great player got a lot of money, makes sense. The excuses and justifications only come up when a not elite player gets elite player money. Just like here.

When it comes to QB contracts, the market is out of whack as is so the money is whatever. I'm only going to pay QBs that I believe I can win a Superbowl with and I believe Trevor can based his tape thus far. I have more faith in him than I do in Jags management, considering the recent drafting and FA signings.

The only big QB contract that I'm going to take issues with is Tua's if he gets near this amount. I honestly think he's a slightly above average starter being propped up by his surroundings and the Dolphins would be making a huge mistake if they go through with paying him that much. 

Edited by BroncoSojia
  • Like 1