Training Camp Thread

3 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Surprising but Mustipher is gone too. I'll bet we change out a few interior lineman with other teams cuts. 

Yeh, this must have been a close call. Forsyth was so bad at Guard so I don't think we can claim it's versatility. 

LJH over Patrick is not going to quieten the "Payton loves Payton guys" crowd that's for sure.

Would love to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Really?  Tim Patrick has been injured the last two seasons; not sure how dependable he is? 

Injuries happen - but when he is on the field he is one of the most reliable WRs available. At $1.2m, even if he were to get hurt again, he would have been worth keeping. When you have a rookie QB you need people like him.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeh, this must have been a close call. Forsyth was so bad at Guard so I don't think we can claim it's versatility. 

LJH over Patrick is not going to quieten the "Payton loves Payton guys" crowd that's for sure.

Would love to be proven wrong.

I mean Adam Trautman is seeing meaningful snaps running routes in the pass game.   When we have Krull and Dulcich.   

Nothing but respect for his ability to game plan and coach up the O but his man crushes are well known since his NO days.    

It’s not earth shattering bad given that Patrick isn’t a long term guy but it’s definitely a Payton thing.    Sometimes it just happens to be the right call (K last year) other times not so much.   

15 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

So did Timmy just get cut outright or did we find a trade partner... The tweet yesterday seemed too PR to believe it was true. 

Both he and Perine got cut.

TBF, when players like Noah Brown (HOU) are getting cut - it speaks to how much depth we're seeing at WR these days.  Not that Brown is this transcendant talent - but he's cheap, on a 1-year deal, was productive when Tank Dell went down, and just got squeezed out when HOU went and got Stefon Diggs to be their 3rd WR with Dell and Nico Collins.   I'm sure HOU fans are saying the same things about Brown that we are about TP.

A WR that doesn't play ST, if you're not a starter, that's the harsh reality in this day & age.   And as much as we like the guy, that tier of WR talent, it's very disposable across the league.   The ugly business side of the game at play here - if you're not part of the future and you don't play ST, well, those are 2 strikes against you if you're not going to start.

• Like 2

In case ppl think we've seen the last of Humphrey......nothing against him personally, but with only 5 receivers on the 53-man roster, and the ability to play guys off PS 3x before having to promote them to the 53-man roster...well, the least shocking thing ever would be seeing him on the PS, given the above.

Edited by Broncofan

21 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Sad about Patrick, but I think this is about reducing our redundancy at WR. We had too many big body receivers on the roster, and with Mims needing to play, (as he's the only burner on the roster) space needed to be made in the starting lineup.

To the people upset about the Patrick situation, does what I said yesterday make sense?

6 minutes ago, Dalan162 said:

I’m seeing some hyped around Vele. Is he really that good ?

He's big, has burst & a big catch radius, and he definitely has decent tools.  But that's a long way from saying he's going to be good.   

The biggest flags are that he never really broke out in college, and he is already 26 now.   Granted, it was in a run-first O with the Utes, but he's pretty much at peak physical maturity (give or take a year or two).   So he played against guys literally 4+ years younger than him when he had his 2 successful seasons.  It's why he fell so far in such a deep class.

Best-case IMO, we found a Tim Patrick type-player....but much like Patrick, it's also for a short window.  Worst-case, he's capped out.    Still, we're so thin in depth of talent, we'll take that first result any day.   Just realize when he gets to play starters or even 2nd-string guys, we'll see if the size/speed/burst still hold up.  I do like his attitude and aggression, just we haven't seen how it plays out against top-team competition. 

7 hours ago, Dalan162 said:

I’m seeing some hyped around Vele. Is he really that good ?

He played the Tim Patrick role at Utah (where Tim played). Now he will play it here. Both fell in the draft for the same reasons. Both are the same size, weight, build, speed. Love Timmy but Vele was drafted to replace him at a much lower cost and without the injury history. 

• Like 1