Training Camp Thread

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

That sucks. Swing Tackle is one of the most underrated roster requirements on an NFL team in my opinion.

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Nix, even though he’s been at best hit and miss from the litany of reports I’ve read, should not only start he should be given the majority if not all of the first team reps beginning tomorrow. Sean should be a good enough coach to recognize that. 

Personally, I just don't see it this way. If your rookie QB is stinking the joint up and you've got 50 something (well, 90 something at the moment) grown men who can see he isn't the better player and is making the whole Offense look worse, you are going to lose them.

I'm not naive enough to think the QBs should be on a level playing field; I understand one was drafted to be the future. That said, he has to shown his fellow professionals he's at least somewhat worthy of being given the majority of the reps. Those guys have a career to play for. They aren't just going to accept a sucky QB if there is a different option outperforming in TC / practice.

Apparently Nix had a really good practice yesterday. Hopefully he can build on it heading into our preseason games.

• Like 3

The really late bye week makes the decision of when to start Nix that much more intriguing. If it's not week 1, the next logical point is after our Thursday game in Week 7 otherwise youre likely waiting until Week 15 and giving Nix a 4 game sample similar to what Lock got his first year. 

Can't wait for the first preseason game... I've been callused to any training camp reports so I'm excited to see if the hype around some of the players is warranted. 

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

The really late bye week makes the decision of when to start Nix that much more intriguing. If it's not week 1, the next logical point is after our Thursday game in Week 7 otherwise youre likely waiting until Week 15 and giving Nix a 4 game sample similar to what Lock got his first year. 

Can't wait for the first preseason game... I've been callused to any training camp reports so I'm excited to see if the hype around some of the players is warranted. 

I read Entine, is that right?  The RB from Notre Dame? Has been ball'n 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I read Entine, is that right?  The RB from Notre Dame? Has been ball'n 

Estime (bulldozer), Mclaughlin (speed), Javonte apparently looks to be in better shape as he's back down to his college weight, Reynolds, the run game in general, and Defensive line/Edge and our corners have all been called out a lot. 

From yesterday's presser, I'm extremely encouraged by how Payton is describing the new owners approach to alumni. Basically giving them an open invitation to be around the facility and talking about them as the "lifeblood of the program". He's mentioned multiple times how Greg and Carrie Penner are completely invested in that philosophy too. I think that is one of the things that has separated our organization from many others is the way we treat our former players. Such a stark contrast to teams like the Seahawks who have basically burned all of their relationships with their most successful teams from Russ to Earl Thomas to Sherman. You never hear about Walter Jones or Hutchinson or Sean Alexander or Hasselbeck around those facilities. And now they've gone and removed all of their historical pictures/achievements from the facilities. We have been different and glad we're invested to stay different.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

From yesterday's presser, I'm extremely encouraged by how Payton is describing the new owners approach to alumni. Basically giving them an open invitation to be around the facility and talking about them as the "lifeblood of the program". He's mentioned multiple times how Greg and Carrie Penner are completely invested in that philosophy too. I think that is one of the things that has separated our organization from many others is the way we treat our former players. Such a stark contrast to teams like the Seahawks who have basically burned all of their relationships with their most successful teams from Russ to Earl Thomas to Sherman. You never hear about Walter Jones or Hutchinson or Sean Alexander or Hasselbeck around those facilities. And now they've gone and removed all of their historical pictures/achievements from the facilities. We have been different and glad we're invested to stay different.  

Why not?  I mean, you have guys like Elway, Schlereth, Manning, TD, Rod Smith who all won multiple Super Bowls.  Gotta keep the culture in tact. 

• Like 2

I don't know how reliable Woody is anymore but he keeps talking like it's Bo's job to lose. I'm fine with that. I feel as though we have a good enough offensive line for him to play early with Sutton and Mims and Franklin and Reynolds being decent enough targets.

id love to be a Dulcich truther but I think he's just made of wet toilet paper 

6 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't know how reliable Woody is anymore but he keeps talking like it's Bo's job to lose. I'm fine with that. I feel as though we have a good enough offensive line for him to play early with Sutton and Mims and Franklin and Reynolds being decent enough targets.

id love to be a Dulcich truther but I think he's just made of wet toilet paper 

I think we better steel ourselves to Adam Trautman getting way more snaps than he deserves.   Payton’s player crushes extends to his NO days.    Dulcich history of injuries makes him so unreliable to count on.  

Lucas Krull is the guy I’d hope can show he can make progress.  Late start to learning football so the spikes in growth can be exponential.    Especially since learning TE position NFL responsibilities is the hardest of all the non-QB skill positions.  

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 8:12 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

That doesn't seem to be exclusive to Woody. A lot of what I've been reading and hearing is that Bo has started to pull away the second week of camp and into this week. I'm sure Sean and the staff want to see all three QBs play in live game action in the preseason but as we've said all along, a tie goes to Nix. And form what I'm hearing, it's not really tie, Nix has looked markedly better. 

I just read today (Monday) was the fifth practice in the last seven that Nix was running with the 1s.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

The Sterns cut is a definite surprise. Given his low cost, you'd have to imagine there's either been something said off the field or we are being very generous to him and allowing him to find a team prior to preseason games.

The Broncos beat PR has said it's because of Skinner and Key performing well in TC, but how many camp heroes have we seen over the years?

I just can't agree with the timing of this, irrespective of whether I think Sterns could ever prove his health.

• Like 3

Nix is going to start unless he absolutely eats it in these preseason games. Consistent snaps with the 1s, and consistent reporting + coach praise of his performance. Seems like the writing is on the wall. 

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The Sterns cut is a definite surprise. Given his low cost, you'd have to imagine there's either been something said off the field or we are being very generous to him and allowing him to find a team prior to preseason games.

The Broncos beat PR has said it's because of Skinner and Key performing well in TC, but how many camp heroes have we seen over the years?

I just can't agree with the timing of this, irrespective of whether I think Sterns could ever prove his health.

This screams “not my guy” decision from incoming staff on a guy from the past regime.    I really hate the timing as well, because it’s based off TC when we know Sterns has absolutely balled out on game day.     The only reason that can be justified is if Sterns is clearly nowhere near pre-injury form.   Just wish we could have seen it on the field first.   

I suspect PHI with both Fangio & Parker on staff will sign him.   They aren’t deep at S either.    If they pass, then it would suggest Sterns’ injury recovery is a bigger issue.   

Posted (edited)

The first depth chart has been released (I believe it is required by league rules as preseason games begin this week) and Nix is listed as ... the third string QB. However, all the rookies are listed last on the depth chart. I can sort of appreciate Sean being "old school" at times but why play games like this? It's silly and serves no point; it doesn't give you a competitive advantage, it doesn't inspire the rookies to play harder, all it does is provide fodder to fill webpages and airtime. It's like Belichick listing 45 players on his gameday roster as "probable" before the league changed the injury designation rules. 

Interestingly, they have Griffith/Barton at one ILB spot, Mathis/Moss at CB opposite PS2, and Lutz/Gill at KO, P and H all listed as Player A OR Player B. Meaning there will be "starting" jobs won before the regular season, but we can expect, barring injury, to see Mathis, Moss, Griffith and Barton likely splitting playing time in the early portion of the season at their respective spots. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/08/06/broncos-unofficial-depth-chart-jarrett-stidham/

Edited by AnAngryAmerican