49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk has officially requested for a trade

RaidersAreOne

If this continues BA's trade value may decline but his personal value declines as well. He has to play at an incredibly high level to justify the contract he wants. If he's trying to get paid 32+ per season he cannot afford to pull a Le'Veon Bell and sit or pretend to be injured. Aiyuk just isn't at the level necessary to be pulling this kind of move successfully IMO. He wants ARSB money when he's probably worth closer to DJ Moore money AND it'll take some premium assets to get him away from SF. I just don't think it's worth it for anyone involved.

I think they come to some kind of loose agreement that he returns for the next season and the maybe the team won't tag him.

Aiyuk for a year (during this window)+ a comp pick trumps any potential return the 49ers have publicly got on the table. For other teams Aiyuk is probably not worth giving up a 2nd, a quality player AND extending at such high cost.

Whatever though. I'm excited to see what actually develops. It's a fun story to kick off the season with.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

If this continues BA's trade value may decline but his personal value declines as well. He has to play at an incredibly high level to justify the contract he wants. If he's trying to get paid 32+ per season he cannot afford to pull a Le'Veon Bell and sit or pretend to be injured. Aiyuk just isn't at the level necessary to be pulling this kind of move successfully IMO. He wants ARSB money when he's probably worth closer to DJ Moore money AND it'll take some premium assets to get him away from SF. I just don't think it's worth it for anyone involved.

I think they come to some kind of loose agreement that he returns for the next season and the maybe the team won't tag him.

Aiyuk for a year (during this window)+ a comp pick trumps any potential return the 49ers have publicly got on the table. For other teams Aiyuk is probably not worth giving up a 2nd, a quality player AND extending at such high cost.

Whatever though. I'm excited to see what actually develops. It's a fun story to kick off the season with.

I think the issue he wasn't to be paid AND go to a team that's SB bound. The Pats were lined up to make him a well paid WR, but he turned them down to go to a better situation. If money was all he wanted, he had it.

9 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think the issue he wasn't to be paid AND go to a team that's SB bound. The Pats were lined up to make him a well paid WR, but he turned them down to go to a better situation. If money was all he wanted, he had it.

Yeah if he wants money + SB chance, then Pats, Commanders would be poor choices. Browns would be a good choice. Steelers would be a okish choice. 

Personally, I wouldn’t want my team to give this guy $30m+ and picks/players. Bros in a stacked offense where he doesn’t have to be the guy, has done nothing but win and is trying to squeeze every penny out of this team know ing they have other players to pay. If he is what he thinks he is, somebody would have foot the bill by now. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

McLaurin is also making like 22M a year and will be a FA soon, cant imagine they will trade for a guy they will just have to re-sign next year for not cheap

I agree with this as well although I think Terry would be easier to negotiate with. 

16 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Honestly, I think at this point he's right back to where we were at the opening of the free agency window: Aiyuk wants to be paid AND by the 49ers... and that's not a line the Niners are willing to meet him at.  Divisional rivalries aside, and I'm all for players getting their bag while they can, but I have to admit that I respect the Niners bass for sticking to their guns... and realizing they've got an offensive system in place that can largely function effectively with a type that can be replicated and reloaded.  This isn't really dissimilar to historical examples we've seen before - ironically one of those times with a senior Shanahan - with the 90's Broncos and running backs as well as the McDaniels/Pats offense and slot receivers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

how so?

The game of chicken: SF doesn’t have to pay him, trade him, or appease him in anyway. If they wanted to, they could hold him for the entirety of this year, 2025, and 2026. Maybe he could get away with being sore for three years and collecting the paychecks, but that’s a long time to miss football. He don’t want that, obviously. Aiyuk also could do the hold-in and really hamper their SB efforts. Plus, tagging him going forward incurs a big cap hit that SF doesn’t want to hold the next few years. Worth mentioning the cap hits of an extension wouldn’t be nearly as high in the first couple years.

Aiyuk was winning: SF give him permission to find trade partners. They don’t have to do this. It’s actually less than ideal to go get a so-so receiver replacements and a Day 2 pick in 2025, at this point. But for one reason or another, they let him. They blink.

How he’s blowing it: Four suitors, two are willing to offer him the money he wants, and one of which (the place he wants to go to most) is now reportedly not giving enough back to SF in the trade. There were two teams willing to pay him what he wants, but he didn’t like the situations. He wants the whole cake. You can’t be forcing your way out, and then be this selective with the options.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Geezy said:

Personally, I wouldn’t want my team to give this guy $30m+ and picks/players. Bros in a stacked offense where he doesn’t have to be the guy, has done nothing but win and is trying to squeeze every penny out of this team know ing they have other players to pay. If he is what he thinks he is, somebody would have foot the bill by now. 

Don't know how you can fault a guy for trying to get every penny he can when he's in a business that treats people like human livestock.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

A 3 team trade in the NFL would be wild

I feel like it probably wouldn't get processed as such. The niners / dolphins and eagles kind of did this a few years ago. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Don't know how you can fault a guy for trying to get every penny he can when he's in a business that treats people like human livestock.

I don't blame him at all for wanting to get paid. However, he had the opportunity to be traded to a handful of teams that were willing to pay him and were also offering something SF would consider, but he didn't want to go to those teams. I don't feel that bad for him.

• Like 3