49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk has officially requested for a trade

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, DawgX said:

I don't blame him at all for wanting to get paid. However, he had the opportunity to be traded to a handful of teams that were willing to pay him and were also offering something SF would consider, but he didn't want to go to those teams. I don't feel that bad for him.

Flipside to that coin Dawg is that Aiyuk doesn't have to settle for getting sent to purgatory, he doesn't have to say yes. 

I'm sure SF wants to send him to the AFC, not to a potential NFC contender. Makes perfect sense. However limits potential suitors. Why does Aiyuk have to go to NE or Cleveland? Because they were willing to pay top WR money?

I understand the notion of Brandon wanting his cake and eating it too but how do we know the compensation from other Organizations aren't there but SF doesn't want to trade him to specific teams?

Like with Lamb a lot of this could of been avoided had the SF FO gave him a contract "before" all of these high dollar extensions were given. 

Anyone really think if SF approachched Aiyuk before FA offering a DeVonta Smith type deal, before 5 other WR contracts were given out he doesn't sign at $25M? I don't.  

SF FO is just as much to blame (probably more) for this situation as Aiyuk,  just saying. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

this is probably done by now if we had Diontae Johnson to trade away. He has his warts, but I think his skillset would work well in SF.

I seriously said this earlier to someone lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

Don't know how you can fault a guy for trying to get every penny he can when he's in a business that treats people like human livestock.

There’s a difference between getting every penny and over valuing yourself, there’s a reason he hasn’t been paid yet. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Anyone really think if SF approachched Aiyuk before FA offering a DeVonta Smith type deal, before 5 other WR contracts were given out he doesn't sign? I don't. 

My understanding is that the 49ers offered him a deal averaging about 26 per which is actually above DeVonta Smith's. So SF did in fact offer him a similar deal and BA turned it down.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-what-patriots-offered-49ers-brandon-aiyuk-in-failed-contract-trade-negotiations-per-report/

The 49ers offered Aiyuk a deal averaging about $26 million per year in May, according to The Athletic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

There’s a difference between getting every penny and over valuing yourself, there’s a reason he hasn’t been paid yet. 

I mean New England was willing to pay 32 million a year apparently, so doesn't seem like he's overvaluing himself in that regard if he's looking for 29-30. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean New England was willing to pay 32 million a year apparently, so doesn't seem like he's overvaluing himself in that regard if he's looking for 29-30. 

Contract structure also matters.  

$32M per year with 15% of the deal guaranteed vs 40% guaranteed.  How much is backloaded fluff vs likely to be earned.

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Maybe it's because the Niners can't pay every single player on their roster top dollar? Aiyuk would be a complete moron to play a single snap without securing the bag first. 

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Contract structure also matters.  

$32M per year with 15% of the deal guaranteed vs 40% guaranteed.  How much is backloaded fluff vs likely to be earned.

Unless someone can point me to the structure and suggest that it had some outlier like lack of guarantees compared to a normal contract, I think its a reasonable assumption to make that it was a typical contract even if the aav is inflated by non guaranteed money. 

Furthermore, there are no indications that the contract itself was an issue, so we are lumping conjecture on top of conjecture by suggesting that  structure was the problem. 

Bottom line is we have multiple reports out there that teams are willing to pay Aiyuk what he wants. He doesn't appear to be over valuing himself, which is my issue with Geezy's statement 

I mean, this is from nearly a month ago: 

Silver I give credence to, Florio I wouldn't....but I'll just put this here as well for supplemental support 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Flipside to that coin Dawg is that Aiyuk doesn't have to settle for getting sent to purgatory, he doesn't have to say yes. 

I'm sure SF wants to send him to the AFC, not to a potential NFC contender. Makes perfect sense. However limits potential suitors. Why does Aiyuk have to go to NE or Cleveland? Because they were willing to pay top WR money?

I understand the notion of Brandon wanting his cake and eating it too but how do we know the compensation from other Organizations aren't there but SF doesn't want to trade him to specific teams?

Like with Lamb a lot of this could of been avoided had the SF FO gave him a contract "before" all of these high dollar extensions were given. 

Anyone really think if SF approachched Aiyuk before FA offering a DeVonta Smith type deal, before 5 other WR contracts were given out he doesn't sign? I don't.  

SF FO is just as much to blame (probably more) for this situation as Aiyuk,  just saying. 

I totally agree SF's front office has managed this horribly. They should have extended him or traded him before the draft. They effed up.

I'm not saying he has to go anywhere he doesn't want to, but if he wants to be paid and there's a few suitors willing to pay him what he wants, then I don't feel that bad for him if he says no because those teams aren't his top choices. Not every team needs a WR, not every team is going to want to pay him. And the ones who are willing to pay him on the open market may be hesitant to give him a huge contract while also giving up assets like valuable picks and/or good players. And there's also some teams that SF would have no interest in trading him to, like you said.

As a Browns fan, I don't even particularly want him that much - I'm not sure he's worth what he's likely to get paid while also giving up picks and/or players.

I'm all for players trying to get as much money as they can in a career that could be taken away from them at any moment. But when you have multiple suitors and say no to all of them because it's not your top choice, then like I said, I don't feel too sorry for you.

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is this trade will not actually happen. The question is, what is the next step for the 49ers? Do you bring Aiyuk back to the negotiating table?

Yes

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Unless someone can point me to the structure and suggest that it had some outlier like lack of guarantees compared to a normal contract, I think its a reasonable assumption to make that it was a typical contract even if the aav is inflated by non guaranteed money. 

Furthermore, there are no indications that the contract itself was an issue, so we are lumping conjecture on top of conjecture by suggesting that  structure was the problem. 

Bottom line is we have multiple reports out there that teams are willing to pay Aiyuk what he wants. He doesn't appear to be over valuing himself, which is my issue with Geezy's statement 

I mean, this is from nearly a month ago: 

Silver I give credence to, Florio I wouldn't....but I'll just put this here as well for supplemental support 

I agree we don't know the details.  So assuming anything is still an assumption 

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is this trade will not actually happen. The question is, what is the next step for the 49ers? Do you bring Aiyuk back to the negotiating table?

If they don’t trade/sign him, they’ll probably end up franchising him, they still have to pay Brock and Trent