49ers Training camp 2024

On 8/9/2024 at 5:24 PM, Forge said:

Great stuff here. Love the detail Wagoner consistently gives

I love posts like this. Detailed but concise at the same time. 

I'm going to guess we keep 3 TE's & 7 WR's - Kittle/Saubert/Willis at TE, Aiyuk/Deebo/Jennings/Pearsall/Cowing/Bell/Conley at WR. 

I'd venture Pline, Latu, & Taylor end up on the PS. 

I'd guess some notable cuts not on the PS/claimed/sign elsewhere as Breida, Gray, Zakelj, Thomas, Womack & Tracy Walker

I'm interested if we keep Schrader over Mitchell (too injury prone) & Bethune over DFF (Warner, Campbell, Winters, Graham with the top 4 spots, Greenlaw on PUP). Lets see how they play tonight 

Altogether, I'm not going to fret too much. Last year there was a frenzy over cutting guys like Ilm Manning, Qwantrezz Knight & D'Shawn Jamison which amounted to a whole lot of nothing. 

Edited by 49ersfan

I know that getting talented players throughout the draft seems unsustainable because it's not how most teams find their talent, but I don't think it's a statistical abnormality destined to revert back to the mean.  I think its an intentional formula that involves finding the football traits the team values. 

There are three reasons I bring this up now. Green, Mustapha, and Puni. 

I thibk the continuity of the organization plays a major role.  Having the same coach, being able to see which traits translate, which parts of the scouting process translate, and having a very strong understanding of the the staff helps identify players in later rounds. 

There are more athletes than ever, and that has been true every year since I can remember. A 5th rounder today has the traits of a 1st rounder in 1986(with certain exceptions).   Finding these athletic traits at pick 127 over and over again isn't luck.  It's a focus on what is relevant to the system, and an acknowledgement what is just a measurement on paper.  Brock Purdy's arm length is not particularly relevant to the conversation anymore.  Funny how what is important changes from the combine to Sunday. I think the 9ers focus on what is important on Sunday throughout the process. 

An example of this, involves the players listed. This year there were a lot of "older players" in the draft.   These guys are marked down for being *gasp* 24 and 23 year old 4th and 5th year players.  They played too much football to be prepared to play football?  Scouts and agents  enjoy selling the unknown and athletic measurments.  My operating theory is the 49ers have found a way to focus on football first, then character and fit, then athletic traits.  As someone who tries to focus on the film first, I recognize and appreciate this approach. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Tashaun Gipson signed with the Jaguars. I guess we’re good with Brown, Hufanga, Mustapha and Odom. Maybe Walker too, although I doubt he makes the 53 

Would not be surprised if Walker did make the initial 53.

He's coming off a torn Achilles in 2022 which really takes a year or two to really get back to your normal self.

He's seen legitimate game action and was adequate enough that the Lions resigned him to a contract with 17 mil guaranteed not too long ago.

I'm not convinced Odom is even reliable back-up at this point but his place on STs is solidfied.

He could still use a little competition.

And with the new kick-off rules, I think you'll need to more safety depth than ever.

I think you'll need more guys who can come downhill, shed & track down returners.

At worst, Walker seems like he could provide just that.

5 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I know that getting talented players throughout the draft seems unsustainable because it's not how most teams find their talent, but I don't think it's a statistical abnormality destined to revert back to the mean.  I think its an intentional formula that involves finding the football traits the team values. 

There are three reasons I bring this up now. Green, Mustapha, and Puni. 

I thibk the continuity of the organization plays a major role.  Having the same coach, being able to see which traits translate, which parts of the scouting process translate, and having a very strong understanding of the the staff helps identify players in later rounds. 

There are more athletes than ever, and that has been true every year since I can remember. A 5th rounder today has the traits of a 1st rounder in 1986(with certain exceptions).   Finding these athletic traits at pick 127 over and over again isn't luck.  It's a focus on what is relevant to the system, and an acknowledgement what is just a measurement on paper.  Brock Purdy's arm length is not particularly relevant to the conversation anymore.  Funny how what is important changes from the combine to Sunday. I think the 9ers focus on what is important on Sunday throughout the process. 

An example of this, involves the players listed. This year there were a lot of "older players" in the draft.   These guys are marked down for being *gasp* 24 and 23 year old 4th and 5th year players.  They played too much football to be prepared to play football?  Scouts and agents  enjoy selling the unknown and athletic measurments.  My operating theory is the 49ers have found a way to focus on football first, then character and fit, then athletic traits.  As someone who tries to focus on the film first, I recognize and appreciate this approach. 

What’s funny is that if you look at the RAS scores of the prospects this year, they are higher than what we have seen historically with our FO. 

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, that's not good lol.

Hopefully the starters go a quarter or so next Sunday. 

We don't have enough WRs lol 

Really a shame that cowing was out. I am very excited for him. He should be getting tons of reps right now. He can play b

Was thinking about the failure of the Drake Jackson pick. That's such a gut punch. Was already a bit indifferent about the pass rush this upcoming season even if Bosa is at his best. Afraid there won't be enough hustle out there. Even if Jackson wasn't that great, now we'll most likely never see what he can do since his body betrayed him. Tough. 🙁

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kalia Davis is going to require surgery and miss half the season. That sucks. He looked awesome on Saturday. 

dline depth is brutal.  this is feeling like 2020 with all the injuries.  the vibes are way off. 

• Like 2