Shaq Barrett retiring

Forge

Seems kind of surprising but lucky for the Dolphins they are prepared for that.

With Barrett they were easily the deepest team in the NFL in terms of 3/4 OLB.  Sure Chubb and Phillips do seem to get hurt often but now they brought in Chop Robinson who could be a stud, drafted Mohamed Kamara who could be a steal and a solid edge rusher as well.  Also have Cam Brown who could fill in on the edge at times and Jordyn Brooks could I feel if they really needed him to.

I am kind of surprised they did not address their slot corner position but maybe they feel Cam Smith can do it.  I do not have huge faith in Kohou or Needham but maybe they do.  Storm Duck could surprise some people as well potentially there if he can hang around on the roster enough.

Doubt he was going to be a contributor for them anyway, but given how the edge position ended up last year, I’m sure any warm body would’ve helped. They were looking a bit thick there on the depth chart, but I suppose Chubb or Phillips could be inactive going into Week 1. 

Wish him the best, spending time with your kids probably can’t mean more to anyone than this guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Seems kind of surprising but lucky for the Dolphins they are prepared for that.

With Barrett they were easily the deepest team in the NFL in terms of 3/4 OLB.  Sure Chubb and Phillips do seem to get hurt often but now they brought in Chop Robinson who could be a stud, drafted Mohamed Kamara who could be a steal and a solid edge rusher as well.  Also have Cam Brown who could fill in on the edge at times and Jordyn Brooks could I feel if they really needed him to.

I am kind of surprised they did not address their slot corner position but maybe they feel Cam Smith can do it.  I do not have huge faith in Kohou or Needham but maybe they do.  Storm Duck could surprise some people as well potentially there if he can hang around on the roster enough.

I feel like chop is going to have a Aldon Smith type season. They are going to score so much that he’s going to have an insane amount of pass rushing chances. He might not be the best, but his numbers are going to be nutty. Mia to me has the best most explosive offense in the NFL and it’s not close. Most of these teams run up and down. Mia can score on 1-5 plays. Now in the playoffs Mr Hawk Tuah might be diff. But in the regular season! My gawd. Lamar Jackson 2.0 

8 hours ago, iknowcool said:

19.5 sacks in one season, 40.5 in his 8 other seasons

Injuries and being a back-up in Denver played a role in that, but still.  Weird career for such a talented pass rusher

He was inconsistent teams over the years and different coaching staffs, which doesn't help.

14 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I feel like chop is going to have a Aldon Smith type season. They are going to score so much that he’s going to have an insane amount of pass rushing chances. He might not be the best, but his numbers are going to be nutty. Mia to me has the best most explosive offense in the NFL and it’s not close. Most of these teams run up and down. Mia can score on 1-5 plays. Now in the playoffs Mr Hawk Tuah might be diff. But in the regular season! My gawd. Lamar Jackson 2.0 

With that insane speed at WR added in Achane, Mostert and now even Wright.  Their big play ability is nuts not to mention Tyreek Hill and Waddle.  Odell provides a decent 3rd WR with experience and helps if Hill or Waddle go down, also adding Jonnu Smith is big because he can get vertical as well.  However if Tua gets hurt they would be in trouble but those weapons are as good as any.  The OL is so so, I like Patrick Paul though he has big time potential and athletic ability for his size, Wynn, Brewer and Robert Jones not a huge fan of those IOL but Eichenberg could maybe beat out one of those two guards, curious where he ends up and Matthew Jones has some potential at guard also along with Driscoll.

In terms of Chop, I doubt he has Aldon Smith's type success because Chop is so squatty and they are two totally different body types.  Is odd how unproductive Chop was in college, sure he has great burst and speed but not great pass rush moves and is not great with his hands either.  If Phillips and Chubb do not get hurt he will not play much anyway but with equal playing time I could see Kamara maybe getting more sacks than Chop does this year but we will see.  Is odd how Chop was never a 10+ sack guy at the college level with his athletic ability.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

With that insane speed at WR added in Achane, Mostert and now even Wright.  Their big play ability is nuts not to mention Tyreek Hill and Waddle.  Odell provides a decent 3rd WR with experience and helps if Hill or Waddle go down, also adding Jonnu Smith is big because he can get vertical as well.  However if Tua gets hurt they would be in trouble but those weapons are as good as any.  The OL is so so, I like Patrick Paul though he has big time potential and athletic ability for his size, Wynn, Brewer and Robert Jones not a huge fan of those IOL but Eichenberg could maybe beat out one of those two guards, curious where he ends up and Matthew Jones has some potential at guard also along with Driscoll.

In terms of Chop, I doubt he has Aldon Smith's type success because Chop is so squatty and they are two totally different body types.  Is odd how unproductive Chop was in college, sure he has great burst and speed but not great pass rush moves and is not great with his hands either.  If Phillips and Chubb do not get hurt he will not play much anyway but with equal playing time I could see Kamara maybe getting more sacks than Chop does this year but we will see.  Is odd how Chop was never a 10+ sack guy at the college level with his athletic ability.

I agree.  I didn't like the pick due to his lack of production in College.  He will have to learn what most rookie edge rushers do, and that is how to go beyond being a one trick pony.  His small production came from his elite burst and closing ability but he suffered from a lack of counter moves once hands were put on him......although I'm hopeful he can be like Dolphins great Cam Wake who never really did develop counter moves and just won with that shoulder dip speed combo repeatedly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I agree.  I didn't like the pick due to his lack of production in College.  He will have to learn what most rookie edge rushers do, and that is how to go beyond being a one trick pony.  His small production came from his elite burst and closing ability but he suffered from a lack of counter moves once hands were put on him......although I'm hopeful he can be like Dolphins great Cam Wake who never really did develop counter moves and just won with that shoulder dip speed combo repeatedly.

Based on the board they had to draft Chop Robinson, next best edge rusher was Chris Braswell and the difference between those two is a bit I would say in terms of upside.  Darius Robinson was also around but honestly I fee he is more of a 4/3 DE/DT or 3/4 DE not a standup edge.

So they really had no other options especially in the bottom of the 1st so the selection is solid I feel.  They needed depth with the constant injuries Chubb and Phillips get and Robinson brings that and so does Kamara.  

But sure they would have been better off getting Verse, Turner or Latu but all were gone by the time the Dolphins picked.  If given time to develop maybe he will get some pass rush moves and learn to use his hands more.

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Based on the board they had to draft Chop Robinson, next best edge rusher was Chris Braswell and the difference between those two is a bit I would say in terms of upside.  Darius Robinson was also around but honestly I fee he is more of a 4/3 DE/DT or 3/4 DE not a standup edge.

So they really had no other options especially in the bottom of the 1st so the selection is solid I feel.  They needed depth with the constant injuries Chubb and Phillips get and Robinson brings that and so does Kamara.  

But sure they would have been better off getting Verse, Turner or Latu but all were gone by the time the Dolphins picked.  If given time to develop maybe he will get some pass rush moves and learn to use his hands more.

I think that's certainly how they felt too.  I liked Brian Thomas Jr, Graham Barton, Jordan Morgan, Xavier Worthy all more than I liked Robinson.......But I can't deny Robinson has the physical tools and enormous upside.  If Robinson has a promising rookie season I wonder how The Fins go forward as for Phillips and Chubb.......Both are fantastic players.   Phillips has 2024 and 2025 left under contract realistically and Chubb could fetch a 2nd round pick if he produces again in 2024.

3 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I think that's certainly how they felt too.  I liked Brian Thomas Jr, Graham Barton, Jordan Morgan, Xavier Worthy all more than I liked Robinson.......But I can't deny Robinson has the physical tools and enormous upside.  If Robinson has a promising rookie season I wonder how The Fins go forward as for Phillips and Chubb.......Both are fantastic players.   Phillips has 2024 and 2025 left under contract realistically and Chubb could fetch a 2nd round pick if he produces again in 2024.

To me edge rusher was their #1 priority coming into the draft last year and they got Chop Robinson because of the lack in depth at that edge rusher spot, it was clearly top heavy group and they had to get one of those top guys.  Sure they could have picked someone else but getting two edge rushers one early and one late was a solid move for them I feel.

Now will Chop be a good pro, who knows.  But the pick was solid, getting someone like Worthy or Thomas would have been a waste unless they think Hill and Waddle will both get hurt this up coming season and they want to move on from them in a year or two which I doubt.  Going edge was a good play.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ozzy said:

To me edge rusher was their #1 priority coming into the draft last year and they got Chop Robinson because of the lack in depth at that edge rusher spot, it was clearly top heavy group and they had to get one of those top guys.  Sure they could have picked someone else but getting two edge rushers one early and one late was a solid move for them I feel.

Now will Chop be a good pro, who knows.  But the pick was solid, getting someone like Worthy or Thomas would have been a waste unless they think Hill and Waddle will both get hurt this up coming season and they want to move on from them in a year or two which I doubt.  Going edge was a good play.

That is what my thinking pre draft was.  I didn't think we would be able to extend Waddle and Tua while paying Hill, and that Tua would be the priority.  Obviously we did extend Waddle and still have Hill on the roster but we haven't been able to get a deal done with Tua.  It's looking like Tua will play 2024 on his 5th year salary and hopefully he stays highly productive and we can get something done with him for 2025 outside of a Franchise tag, but with what we are paying Hill and Waddle I'm expecting to see Tua on a 2025 Franchise tag.