Raider Training Camp 2024

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Of course it's speculation, but rooted in fact. Minnesota was all in McCarthy, had 2 first round picks and higher picks in each round. 

So yes, you easy to look at it and say the only Raiders could have outbid Minnesota is to make silly offer. Minnesota wasn't going to let McCarthy past them. If you listen to their GM post draft, it was clear they were going to make sure he was a Viking no matter what.

Once again pure speculation.  How can you say Min was all in with JJ when they traded up one spot giving up a 4th and getting back a 6th?  If they would have traded up to 5 and mortgaged the future that would be a indication they were all in.  The trade up from 11 to 10 shows me they liked him, were patient and if he slipped into reasonable striking distance they were going to land him. 

Their GM was smart, patient and there is no way he would have known he would have slipped to 10 but once he did he made a move and have to give up very little to land a 21 year old QB prospect with a lot of upside potential.  

9 hours ago, Dessie said:

https://www.raiders.com/news/training-camp-notebook-8-3-top-standouts-from-raiders-saturday-scrimmage

Minshew, Pola-Mao impressed in the live scrimmage, did also read Tyree got a sack. Jones, Pola-Mao & Devonshire got picks. Jones also looked good on returns. 

I was wondering about tyree. Nice.

*actually just read it and I didn’t see the tyree section diff link maybe?*

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Could he outbid that, sure. Could Minnesota counter and outbid them anyway, absolutely. They had a higher draft position and 2 first round picks. Nobody was going to outbid Minnesota for McCarthy. They were so  they moved up a spot.

How is the team not serious about competing? Because 6 QBs went in the first 12 picks and they were on the outside looking in? They landed a guy with all pro potential to help what QBs they have. 

This, they had 2 firsts, had their eyes on him all along, and probably had the "we'll beat any offer " calls already made....the Flippin end!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

If we get 2nd year improvements from Wilson and Young on the DL, our defensive line will be incredible. Encouraging signs so far in camp. Hopefully it continues in games 

Exactly. The thing is, we don’t need Wilson nor Young to be superstars, Crosby and Wilkerson are that, Koonce is a very good complimentary pass rusher so if Wilson can come in and create a bit of disruption when rushing from inside and set the edge and be solid in run defence and Young can just be a solid and not a weak link when they’re in that would go a long way.

We also have Butler who we know will flash and get pressure so we need to get to a situation that when one of the depth guys rotates in they just need to be solid and not a weak link that can be taken advantage of, hopefully go under the radar and make a few plays here and there while the offence focuses on Crosby and Wilkins. It’s all looking up, I’m more optimistic out our DLine than I’ve been in a long while!

Man, I’d so love to have a great, nasty and intimidating defence again, that’s what i grew up knowing the Raiders to be 😀😈

• Like 6

5 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I was wondering about tyree. Nice.

*actually just read it and I didn’t see the tyree section diff link maybe?*

Yes sorry NCOUGH, here it is https://x.com/PGutierrezESPN/status/1819921894172442773

Confirmed here as well 

https://justblogbaby.com/posts/training-camp-day-8-gardner-minshew-makes-a-statement-in-team-scrimmage

“Tyree Wilson put together a great day, as he sacked O'Connell and also forced him to throw it away another time.”

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:07 AM, RaidersForever said:

What's ironic (and partly sad/infuriating) is that we probably would have snuck into the playoffs last year with Carr at QB.

I think so too.  We finally got the defense working and now QB is a huge question mark for the foreseeable future.  I read on social media Minshew is starting to pull ahead of AOC.  So that essentially means AOC will most likely be a career backup and that our QB play ceiling is 20-25 passing TDs.

21 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I disagree and don't see the point of starting a 21 year old on a team that has no chance of contention unless you're certain he is ready to handle the complexity and speed of the NFL. 

When you have a 21 year old QB who is raw you are thinking about the next 15 years and should treat the player accordingly.  The worst thing a HC can do is throw him to the wolves too early and ruin him.  I've seen it too many times before.  No doubt Darnold is a compete bum but that is not the point.  I see zero harm in having Darnold start the year while JJ sits and learns. 

Right which is the whole reason why I didn't want to draft him because at best is he has to sit. 

On 8/2/2024 at 1:07 PM, RaidersForever said:

What's ironic (and partly sad/infuriating) is that we probably would have snuck into the playoffs last year with Carr at QB.

It's really infuriating to me. 

Carr was a QB we could've had without paying a ton for and he wouldn't have preclude us from seeking a QBOTF by the time we'll actually take one (looking at 2025 or even 2026). 

He was scapegoated in favor of a HC some people were absolutely hell bent on defending beyond any and all logic. The way it was handled, even, was just utterly stupid. If Josh McDaniels had been ****canned at the end of year one the way he absolutely should have been, we probably keep Carr around. Instead, we made the exact same mistake Denver did- letting that idiot in the building, the media making excuses, getting a serviceable QB jettisoned in favor of nothing to build on. 

It will forever be one of the biggest "told you so" moments in franchise history because the "correct" course of action was so blatantly obvious to anyone not buying in for the sake of buying in. 

Without McIdiot screwing everything up so poorly early last year and with a viable QB option, we would've been fine. Probably would've had a more stable HC situation going into 2024 too, rather than an interim-turned-permanent HC that people are excited for, but largely still skeptical of. 

Hopefully our QB situation settles sooner rather than later, because until we have that in place, we're still technically cleaning up the rubble. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Exactly. The thing is, we don’t need Wilson nor Young to be superstars, Crosby and Wilkerson are that, Koonce is a very good complimentary pass rusher so if Wilson can come in and create a bit of disruption when rushing from inside and set the edge and be solid in run defence and Young can just be a solid and not a weak link when they’re in that would go a long way.

With Crosby, Wilkerson, and Koonce around, we really just need Tyree playing like he's actually there (ie: not standing still for 1.5 seconds after the snap before making his first move). 

If he does that and forces blockers to even just acknowledge his presence, it's a win across the pass rush board. If he has any statistical significance to go along, it's an added bonus. 

It's one of those situations where the bar couldn't be much lower, but if he indeed gets over it, the benefits become exponential regardless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's really infuriating to me. 

Carr was a QB we could've had without paying a ton for and he wouldn't have preclude us from seeking a QBOTF by the time we'll actually take one (looking at 2025 or even 2026). 

He was scapegoated in favor of a HC some people were absolutely hell bent on defending beyond any and all logic. The way it was handled, even, was just utterly stupid. If Josh McDaniels had been ****canned at the end of year one the way he absolutely should have been, we probably keep Carr around. Instead, we made the exact same mistake Denver did- letting that idiot in the building, the media making excuses, getting a serviceable QB jettisoned in favor of nothing to build on. 

It will forever be one of the biggest "told you so" moments in franchise history because the "correct" course of action was so blatantly obvious to anyone not buying in for the sake of buying in. 

Without McIdiot screwing everything up so poorly early last year and with a viable QB option, we would've been fine. Probably would've had a more stable HC situation going into 2024 too, rather than an interim-turned-permanent HC that people are excited for, but largely still skeptical of. 

Hopefully our QB situation settles sooner rather than later, because until we have that in place, we're still technically cleaning up the rubble. 

Exactly what I had been saying for years and my biggest fear is where we are now at the QB position.  Carr was good enough to get us to the playoffs with a decent supporting cast but could have been upgraded if the right opportunity presented itself.  Unfortunately it never did then Mcidiot and DZ included a foolish NTC giving Carr all the power.  When the relationship soured McIdiot and DZ threw Carr under the bus, let him walk with nothing in compensation and had a cap hit of 6M against us for cutting him  Complete incompetence but then, to top it off, they go after their boy ol' noodle arm who sucks so bad he gets both those idiots fired by mid season. Sadly that has been the Raider way for over 25 years.  

I don't think anyone can argue against us being in a worse position at QB both last season and this season with Jimmy G, AOC and Minchew than if we had stuck with Carr.  With Carr at Qb and an improving roster this team could have made the playoffs last year and certainly could have again this year. If the opportunity presented itself to draft his successor who was a superior talent I would have been all in.  

People on here are delusional and somehow foolishly though if we move on from Carr an elite QB will fall into our laps.  Complete and utter nonsense now look where we are...  Zero compensation for moving on from him all while downgrading the QB position.  That is incompetence at it's finest! 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That’s not smart and for who? Drake Maye?

The most logical move once JJ was available at pick 10 would have been to offer our 1 and 3. If he busts it’s not catastrophic and if he hits you just got tremendous value. 

A GM willing to mortgage the future to move up for a QB as you suggest better be damn sure that QB is going to be star or else his career be over in short order if the QB is a bust. It’s easy to say from a couch but as a GM with millions on the line that JJ trade is the only move I would have made if I was GM. 

You’re assuming they evaluated him highly.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You’re assuming they evaluated him highly.

I'm not assuming anything.  They could have hated him as a prospect for all I know.  My point is if JJ turns out to be a good player they will have to explain why they didn't make a push for him.  It's clear this team needs a young QB and JJ could have been acquired without mortgaging the future.  As a GM even if JJ busts it's not catastrophic to your career, certainly not like trading multiple 1's to move up for a guy that busts.  If I was our GM I would have traded our 1 and 3 to go get him. To me that is good value when trading for a 21 year old potential franchise QB.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm not assuming anything.  They could have hated him as a prospect for all I know.  My point is if JJ turns out to be a good player they will have to explain why they didn't make a push for him.  It's clear this team needs a young QB and JJ could have been acquired without mortgaging the future.  As a GM even if JJ busts it's not catastrophic to your career, certainly not like trading multiple 1's to move up for a guy that busts.  If I was our GM I would have traded our 1 and 3 to go get him. To me that is good value when trading for a 21 year old potential franchise QB.

You gotta cut the Raiders some slack the GM did draft Herbert so he knows talent when he sees it.