Raider Training Camp 2024

14 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I wanna play. 

Assuming the parameters are that we can only pick guys who are available and that our other picks change:

On the spot, I would have gotten the OL secured with Fuaga. In that case, Glaze wouldn't be the choice. I would have replaced him with Christian Haynes (OG from UConn who went at 81 to the Seahawks). 

I don't hate Bowers or the pick, but an offensive weapon just isn't where I would've gone. I'm willing to gladly admit his individual impact potential is higher than both Fuaga and Haynes combined. But I, personally, would've likely taken a route more along building the OL in preparation for the QB next year, once the QBs were off the board. 

Yeah, I have no problem with the player(Bowers), but the pick was out of left field.  We had a solid TE group already and you'd think we would've addressed a position with more need.  Same could be said for the year before with Wilson too. 

Hopefully Bowers turns out to be worth it.  We really need to hit on some draft picks, even if they're "luxury" picks.

2 hours ago, true2form said:

Yeah, I have no problem with the player(Bowers), but the pick was out of left field.  We had a solid TE group already and you'd think we would've addressed a position with more need.  Same could be said for the year before with Wilson too. 

Hopefully Bowers turns out to be worth it.  We really need to hit on some draft picks, even if they're "luxury" picks.

Yep. I still don't understand or really believe in the rationale of luxury picks myself. It's a team sport. Not a luxury pick, but we have a perfect example of a guy that can be hyped amd appreciated as an individual player that was ultimately wasted. Joe Thomas was a HOF OT that had a losing record and zero playoff appearances. 

He was worth the #3 pick in isolation. But his presence did nothing for the Browns overall at the end of the day. 

I hope Bowers becomes a HOF TE and dominant force. But I'd be a lot happier if the Raiders become a dominant team altogether. And our needs elsewhere were just more glaring to me. 

If Bowers becomes a HOF TE but has a 48-128 record, zero playoff appearances, 6 first and 2 second team All-Pros, 10 Pro Bowl nods, and makes the All-Decade team, cool for him amd his HOF induction, but that just means we're basically the Browns and made Bowers the TE Joe Thomas. 

Some folks view building a team from stars and fleshing the rest out. Others view building a team as building a solid base and adding the stars to get over the hump. No way to tell which works better- we've seen both. 

End of the day, if Bowers is as good as advertised, he justifies the 13th overall pick. No debate there. But whether he justifies being the Raiders selection at 13 won't be known for a long time, regardless of what he achieves individually. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

AP’s coachspeak on injuries has been a liar. His coachspeak on usage has been 100% accurate. But he’s the type of coach that does lie about injuries. Of course he wants the Chargers to prepare for Bowers. 

42 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

AP’s coachspeak on injuries has been a liar. His coachspeak on usage has been 100% accurate. But he’s the type of coach that does lie about injuries. Of course he wants the Chargers to prepare for Bowers. 

Bout to say I’ve heard that before hopefully it’s not serious. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:40 AM, true2form said:

We always complain about first round busts , we actually went bpa instead of reaching on need. People still complain 

• Like 5

On 8/29/2024 at 1:22 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. I still don't understand or really believe in the rationale of luxury picks myself. It's a team sport. Not a luxury pick, but we have a perfect example of a guy that can be hyped amd appreciated as an individual player that was ultimately wasted. Joe Thomas was a HOF OT that had a losing record and zero playoff appearances. 

He was worth the #3 pick in isolation. But his presence did nothing for the Browns overall at the end of the day. 

I hope Bowers becomes a HOF TE and dominant force. But I'd be a lot happier if the Raiders become a dominant team altogether. And our needs elsewhere were just more glaring to me. 

If Bowers becomes a HOF TE but has a 48-128 record, zero playoff appearances, 6 first and 2 second team All-Pros, 10 Pro Bowl nods, and makes the All-Decade team, cool for him amd his HOF induction, but that just means we're basically the Browns and made Bowers the TE Joe Thomas. 

Some folks view building a team from stars and fleshing the rest out. Others view building a team as building a solid base and adding the stars to get over the hump. No way to tell which works better- we've seen both. 

End of the day, if Bowers is as good as advertised, he justifies the 13th overall pick. No debate there. But whether he justifies being the Raiders selection at 13 won't be known for a long time, regardless of what he achieves individually. 

I think a luxury pic is letting a Hall of Fame player slip through your fingers. We did that a lot the last few years and we’re not any better.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Gainer's range and strength are really something to watch.

He just jumps off the film, every game he showed something. Really impressed with him. If Eichenberg is as good as he’s being hyped up in training camp too we’ve got some great depth at LB and potential moving forward.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

He just jumps off the film, every game he showed something. Really impressed with him. If Eichenberg is as good as he’s being hyped up in training camp too we’ve got some great depth at LB and potential moving forward.

I think he has starter potential, a good starter at that 

• Like 1