Jets DE Haason Reddick not reporting to camp over his contract

Steelersfan43

On 7/24/2024 at 1:36 AM, Eagles $5$ said:

Lol this is most Jets thing ever… trade for a player wait 2 months, and find out he wants a new deal and not showing up and be surprised. 

If only that was what happened.  

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Douglas is the most overrated GM of all-time. How this dude had the whole media and all of the NFL convinced he was a great football mind and would bring the Jets back to relevancy is well beyond me. How do you trade for a dude who openly wants a new contract without that contract in place??? This is GM 101!!!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Joe Douglas is the most overrated GM of all-time. How this dude had the whole media and all of the NFL convinced he was a great football mind and would bring the Jets back to relevancy is well beyond me. How do you trade for a dude who openly wants a new contract without that contract in place??? This is GM 101!!!

I thought i heard/ read from the talking heads that they had something in place when they decided to trade for him but something, i dunno what, fell through.

3 minutes ago, Sad People said:

I thought i heard/ read from the talking heads that they had something in place when they decided to trade for him but something, i dunno what, fell through.

It was a verbal agreement between the Jets and Reddick/Reddick's agent that he would play on his current deal to start and then the Jets would extend him during the season. After the trade, Reddick reneged on the deal for whatever reason and now we're here.

My guess is he thought he could say whatever to get the trade through and then try to use it as leverage against the Jets. If so, I hope JD tells him to pound sand and just sits on his contract.

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

It was a verbal agreement between the Jets and Reddick/Reddick's agent that he would play on his current deal to start and then the Jets would extend him during the season. After the trade, Reddick reneged on the deal for whatever reason and now we're here.

Sounds about right.

So what is preventing the Jets from extending him anyways, assuming they were going to do that regardless? Or were they really playing with the idea they could trade for him, hope he has a bad season, then lowball him aftewards?

Don't get me wrong, neither side's strategy here makes sense and overall I find this situation hilarious.

• Like 2